Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancer ambush tips?  (Read 683 times)

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer ambush tips?
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:48 pm »

So I started a new fort near necromancer tower to see what kind of fun could be had. During my first human merchant visit, I notice some mussels shells jump up and start attacking passerby and figure it's a necromancer attack. I check my combat report and, sure enough, there are at least three human necromancers raising dead around.

One of my squads happened upon one of them, and the humans and my dwarves put the guy out of his misery. After the humans left, I got more combat reports of mussel shells and donkey hair attacking my dogs and woodcutters. I sent my squads wandering around to hopefully find the other necromancers with no luck.

The undead bits are easily killed, but they come right back and they're a major damper on productivity as my dwarves keep dropping stuff and running away from disembodied hair. I'm moving my refuse piles underground, but are there any ways to smoke out the other necromancers from hiding so they can taste *iron short sword*?

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer ambush tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:31:06 am »

1: Enable hunting on dwarves with high observer skill and/or train some hunting dogs and assign them to a few hunters.  These brave dwarves and their mutts will prowl the map and have a good chance of spotting anything hiding there.
2: Make some Points on the surface and march military units between them, patrolling for the necros.
3: Flood the surface with magma and burn the necromancers alive without ever bothering detecting them.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:57:02 am »

You pretty much need special preparations if you want to live by necromancers. Normally you would pen some bait animals in the middle of a few exterior buildings surrounded with walls and traps. Also use cage traps around the map where people need to path to in order to get in your walls.

If you want to smoke out a necromancer already causing trouble and you couldn't find it with military squads, I'm not sure what to suggest other than waiting for a goblin siege to find him.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:52:24 am »

just manually station your militia in one corner, move them to another and so on until the necromancers are found and killed.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Captain Muscles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:45:45 am »

I build a wall around my corpse stockpile (and a ceiling for it if next to a hill,) with a 10x1 tile entrance that wraps around the outside edge (a straight entrance would allow LOS to the corpses) and is filled with cage traps.  The moment your dwarves stop visiting the stockpile for a bit (for me this usually only happens during an attack of some kind when my civilians are restricted to the fort,) all the necromancers will rush the stockpile and jump right in the cage traps.  It works so well that it almost seems unfair, but even with this setup, I still managed to get a necromancer inside the fort at one point, naturally right after a refuse-management/garbage-zone-placement mishap, the result being a skeletal dragon in the central stairway :\.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32:38 am »

When you live near a necromancer you must think of how to defend your dead both dwarven and waste. I usually have my dead and waste in my fortress, behind a couple of doors traps and a bridge so I can seal the areas off and trap any necromancer or zombies. That being said my current fortress is on a hill that I have removed all the ramps and I have alot of airlocks into it.  P.S. making your dwarves collect their junk from outside should keep the clam attacks from happening.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:34:11 am by locustgate »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »

Try bringing more dwarves to the surface. One of them will eventually bump into necro for sure. Or try moving soldiers around the spot where dead rise.
Apart from that you need to plan ahead if you want to survive with such neighbours. For example necros will path to raisable bodies so placing a few cage traps and making a corpse pile around the corner will surely get you a couple of pet mages of the darkness.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 02:11:13 pm »

I put my refuse pile deep in the fortress and dig out the ceiling to make it "Light, Above Ground".  Then, I put a roof over it and it is no longer accessible from the outside (without going through heavily trafficked areas of the fort).  Necros almost never get there unnoticed.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.