Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Refurbished PCs  (Read 2032 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refurbished PCs
« on: January 22, 2013, 10:19:20 pm »

So, between financial aid and general savings, I've managed to scrape $850 towards a new desktop PC to replace my decrepit old one. Since I'd also like to get a decent video card for it (and as a result will probably also need a new PSU), I'm thinking of buying a refurbished one instead of brand new... not to mention that not needing to upgrade to windows 8 is nice.

And so, I was wondering... what have you guys experienced with refurbished PCs? Any traps to avoid or things to seek out? Recommending specific models/brands is ok, but I'd rather this be a discussion than a straight up question/answer thread.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Refurbished PCs
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:20:55 pm »

I expected spambot and got thread.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:47:01 pm »

I'd reccomend getting a desktop, unless you really want a laptop. Desktops are easier to fix if something doesn't last as long as expected.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:45:28 am »

If you have a lot of time to devote to research what's compatible with what, you could try building one from parts. I wound up building one for about $550 that can run modern games at decent settings (peaked at Skyrim with a bunch of graphics improvements installed, although ENB caused it to lag), and most of the parts were from Dell because that's what I had gift cards for (which is to say, not the best hardware and prices in the universe).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:49:50 am »

Newegg and pcpartpicker are good for helping with such research. Most important thing to know about building one: Everything needs to be compatible with the motherboard. If its not its a rather expensive piece of useless tech.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:59:43 am »

Any traps to avoid

I have repeatedly somehow managed to get stuck with brand new NVIDIA GeForce chipsets that somehow manage to always have some obscure function call or feature missing that can't be patched with software and that causes them to perform horribly less well than 5+ year old ATI cards with less memory.

I advise avoiding these.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 05:38:40 am »

I built my kid a decent desktop PC for about $400 recently.  That included motherboard, RAM, CPU, video card, case, power supply, wireless network adapter, a used monitor, and a mouse.  That's everything but a keyboard, hard drive, and dvd drive, which we already had.  You can get yourself something really nice for $850.  Pick out what kind of parts you want and subscribe to Newegg and Slickdeals to watch for sales on them.  Collect your parts over time.  Build it yourself.  It's not difficult and super cheap.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:54:47 am »

Also, beware static when building it. Static is bad for electronics.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:02 am »

Let's see... 850USD is about 535GBP, according to Google.

It's not local to you (in the UK, to be precise), but I know of a PC refurbishing place that provides bog-standard PCs for much less than that, and potentially pretty decent spec ones for less than that as well.  (Let's see, the obvious 'upper end' of the currently advertised stock is £175 ($277-ish) for a Dual Core 2.8Ghz 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 17"" LCD, DVD-Re-writer, keyboard and mouse of course.  And a fully legitimate Win7 install, including official MS recovery media should you/a future repairer ever need it.)  Not sure what video card you might like to augment/replace the decent but perhaps the one inserted (or the on-mobo outlet) is not a totally up-to-date/gamer-quality one, so add a bit if that's a concern, also you could double the memory.  Otherwise, it's a pretty darn good machine for that price.

For pitfalls to avoid, do check that you're getting a legitimate licence (what's stuck on the side of your box), as some more amateur refurbishers can cut corners on that (perhaps using a Volume Licensing Key that they shouldn't be, and then when MS gets wind of that and revokes it there's big problems for all their customers).  If for some reason you think you're forced to return to the same site to reinstall the machine, consider why (although it might just be laziness/simpler that way, and still otherwise legitimate).  Check if you have enough in/on the boxed-up package to reinstall from scratch yourself.  (And that this matches the installed OS, whatever that is.  I've heard of enough people with Vista-upgraded-to-7 machines where this was done by a "backwoodsman" PC repairer with a handy disc... perhaps 'as a favour', and then when things go wrong a "repair of the OS" ends up being "reinstall from scratch".  With files copied off and back, but programmes (including a 'moody' copy of Office) would have to be resourced from their original source media.  So, anyway, check that, but use your judgement.

As for building yourself, although as a more experience builder now I know you can be too scared of static (anti-static straps, the whole kaboodle), of course you would be better safe than sorry if building(/rebuilding) your kit from the ground up.  Beyond that, have fun doing it and (barring the more expensive ones you can have, which you should avoid) learn from your mistakes.  Almost always you can redo things (whether that's reinstalling the OS, or switching the memory into a different pairing of slots), but watch out for not properly thermal-compounding the chip/heatsink interface, or causing shorts where you shouldn't do.

Of course, if you fry something because of what I've just said, it's not my fault. ;)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:24:02 am »

telle's shopping cart for the budget gamer (with intent to upgrade in future)

i5 -2500k $200 (best quad core deal you can get and frankly should last for years to come with any game to throw at)
z77 motherboard $130 (ASUS and Gigabyte are good board makers)
8gb ram $50 (this can go up or down depending on deals)
case and power supply $100 (minimum 500 watts should be enough to any midrange graphics card and bits of overclocking)
AMD HD7770 $140 (I know its not a nvidia but its good for entry level 1080p gaming, plus skyrim seems to run well)
hard drive $100 (usually 1Tb, get either a Western Digital or Seagate)
Windows 7 home premium $100 (don't suffer from win8. make sure to get the OEM 64bit version)

Total: $820

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 12:14:34 pm »

Honestly, try Dell refurbished business PCs. Order through the small business outlet.

Customer support for most refurbished PCs is DIY, but if you order through one of the big firms you can usually get their support for some time similar to a new PC.

When you get a refurbished PC, take a good look at the case, etc, to make sure there's no damage. If there is, take a pic and send a complaint asap so you get it repaired under warranty (not personal experience with PCs, but with other things).

For any PC, take good care of it. Blow dust is once in a while, make sure cables aren't lose.  Don't let vents get clogged up.  Make sure there's 4 in of space on all sides so air can flow, keep the area dusted.

I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 08:26:20 pm »

I've seen Z77 boards for as low as $100. (MSI/ASRock)

And if you know the right people you can get a copy of windows 7 without paying 100 bucks for it.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 08:34:29 pm »

Hmm, I suppose I could build one from scratch instead.

I expected spambot and got thread.

Refurbished PCs on cheap gaming for you, call up the mousecopter for well deals also monitor.[/spambot]

Most important thing to know about building one: Everything needs to be compatible with the motherboard. If its not its a rather expensive piece of useless tech.

Good to know.

Any traps to avoid

I have repeatedly somehow managed to get stuck with brand new NVIDIA GeForce chipsets that somehow manage to always have some obscure function call or feature missing that can't be patched with software and that causes them to perform horribly less well than 5+ year old ATI cards with less memory.

I advise avoiding these.

I've heard different things from different people about card brands. Don't AMD cards typically have more problems?

telle's shopping cart for the budget gamer (with intent to upgrade in future)

i5 -2500k $200 (best quad core deal you can get and frankly should last for years to come with any game to throw at)
8gb ram $50 (this can go up or down depending on deals)
case and power supply $100 (minimum 500 watts should be enough to any midrange graphics card and bits of overclocking)
AMD HD7770 $140 (I know its not a nvidia but its good for entry level 1080p gaming, plus skyrim seems to run well)
hard drive $100 (usually 1Tb, get either a Western Digital or Seagate)
Windows 7 home premium $100 (don't suffer from win8. make sure to get the OEM 64bit version)

Total: $820

That's a good list, I'll keep it mind. What affect does the motherboard have on performance, aside from compatibility and number of slots?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 08:51:27 pm »

in truth the Z series allows you to overclock your cpu along with integrated graphics while P series allows you to overclock but theres no integrated graphics and H series have graphics but no overclocking. The manufacturers can tell you quality and service levels, ASUS, Gigabyte and EVGA are up top while MSI, ASROCK and others are middle and below. I frankly had ASUS boards last the longest ever but its preference now.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:52:46 pm »

I'll repeat most of what people have said here and say refurbished desktops are a good deal. A dual-core is sufficient for gaming and browsing, and they'll run about $300. Buy a midrange video card for $200 and buy an adequate power supply for $50. As a bonus, most of them come with Windows 7 OEM. Download an ISO from the internet, punch in the key on the side of the case, and voila - legit copy.
Pages: [1] 2