Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 66714 times)

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real
« Reply #1065 on: December 14, 2014, 11:03:56 pm »

Ryan just continues to enjoy the Alien(?) classical music. It's not really his thing but... stuff like this isn't bad sometimes.

Enjoy music.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 15, 2014, 03:29:29 am »

"Indeed, I would be be quite intrested in such a device. Would you kindly preform a demonstration perhaps, right in front of me, for a customer?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 15, 2014, 03:30:31 am »

"Indeed, I would be be quite intrested in such a device. Would you kindly preform a demonstration perhaps, right in front of me, for a customer?"

"Sure th--"

He disappears in a brief flash of red light.

Something at his desk begins to beep at the same time. It sounds like a phone.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 18, 2014, 10:22:32 pm »

Hmm, it would rude to answer the phone for him, but likewise it would be rude not to answer the gentlemen's phone while he is incapable of answering it...

Wait, if he's in another plane of existence, then he doesn't exist anymore, ergo it is not rude to answer the phone for him.

Pick up the phone and, whilst imitating his voice, say hello.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 03:31:27 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 21, 2014, 10:51:03 pm »

Roll 117

Hmm, it would rude to answer the phone for him, but likewise it would be rude not to answer the gentlemen's phone while he is incapable of answering it...

Wait, if he's in another plane of existence, then he doesn't exist anymore, ergo it is not rude to answer the phone for him.

Pick up the hpone and, whilst imitating his voice, say hello.

[6|3] You pick up the H-Phone™ (a popular brand of communicating devices that easily interfaces with most smart homes and buildings) and answer the caller.

"Greetings! I was just calling to ask about the recombobulator device. Is it working?"

You scramble around the shopkeeper's desk, locating a badly-scribbled note reading: Recombobulator device setback. Expect in 1 mth.

"Ah yes, I have unfortunately had a few setbacks with the device. It will take about a month to fix the problems."
"That is unfortunate. Have you worked out a model for the recoupler?"

You can't find any notes on the recoupler.

Ryan just continues to enjoy the Alien(?) classical music. It's not really his thing but... stuff like this isn't bad sometimes.

Enjoy music.

[6|4] It is enjoyable.

So enjoyable, in fact, that you take time to analyze the elements of the music, to your horror. The instruments are not pure woodwind and string, as you surmised, but rather incorporate artificial elements such as amplifiers! The music is artificial!

You promptly flee from the stadium, [6|3] and are once again reminded of the scourge of electronic music pervading the city. Your senses are so overwhelmed that you start to feel dizzy. This centipede's dilemma situation is proving to be a real disaster.

grab the blaster, illegal weapons are fun even when overpriced.

Onyx Particle Ray

Russano checks the routes... Well, the independent system seems better. He also contacts Jo. "Miss, do your efforts fare?"

"Dione - Independent System" it is.

"It is time." says Perfectio. He will not accompany you on the mission, but he goes out of his way to give you his best wishes, before justifying himself.
"My duties are here, in the palace. You wouldn't know how many attempts on the Queen's life we get these days! Things have changed, brother."

((The trip cannot begin until everyone is done. I assume Unholy_Pariah is finished, while Superblast's character would be glad to leave. Not sure about Tiruin, since she has been missing for the past few days.

HEN, we need to finish this real quick.))

The upgrades to the ship are made, after your engineers squabble for a bit with the navy folk on placement.

((Remind me, did you want to install additional armor plating on the ship?))

Afterward, you temporarily entrust the ship to your pilot, Ares, to go get fuel for the tankers.

Ship Upgrade Points: 89
Ship Modifications:
Distortion Projector (Replacing a ship's main weapon, this device creates a cone-shaped spatial distortion that makes outgoing projectiles faster, while effectively nullifying incoming fire)

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

[/quote]

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 22, 2014, 08:23:30 pm »

((yeah im good to leave.))

head back to the ship and attempt to use my steel urchin to create a hilt for my deaths bite.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 23, 2014, 01:04:16 am »

Well, I suppose I'm not getting that upgrade.

"Uh, hold on for a moment"

Put the phone on hold and walk away from the store, preparing to leave.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 23, 2014, 08:44:24 pm »

((Alright then, it's time to leave.))

((yeah im good to leave.))

head back to the ship and attempt to use my steel urchin to create a hilt for my deaths bite.

[1/1] You create a sort of grip out of tendrils, but despite being steel cable essentially, the urchin material is so weak and fragile that it falls apart after continued use.

Our crew board the Borealis, reserving a room in the quarters for each. The vessel is designed as a transport more than a warship, so there is plenty accommodate everything.

The Royal Navy's technicians swarm the ship before it leaves, making sure the Distortion Projector is properly installed and that the firmware updates went as planned.

[2+1] The merchants on Aldros III are stingy, even when it comes to saving the world. They offer a "Saving the World" discount on starship fuel of 20%, making the final cost only 8 Ship Upgrade Points.

Ship Upgrade Points: 91 (-8)

Several days later...

[4] The Borealis careens through the fabric of space. Accelerating at a comfortable pace, Ares was able to plot a course through the wormhole to the Dione system which maintained most of the ship's momentum, allowing it to make it to make it into Orbit of Dione while flying inward at much too huge a speed to be matched by, say, pirates or the Centauri navy.

Starship Fuel: 99% (-1%)
Starship Hull Integrity: 100% (+0%)

A few hours later...

[3] The Borealis sails into orbit over Dione. By sailing, of course, we mean that the Borealis has unfurled its radiators in order to vent excess heat produced by the engine. Due to a miscalculation in the planet's orbital elements, the Borealis has had to thrust at 1.6 G's this entire time, making it difficult for its crew and passengers to walk, let alone stand. Regardless, the ship isn't planning to stay at Dione for any extended period of time. At the moment, the Borealis is performing a swing by around Dione's host planet, Ra, using the gas giant's immense gravity well to redirect the ship's velocity vector toward the next wormhole.

However, given that there are several hours until the ship arrives, the Borealis is still able to shift its course into an orbit, in case you wish to stay.

Now we begin the space-based portion of the RtD, where the Borealis "sails" the local group in search of opportunities and information. Your ultimate goal is to reach Arcas, but it will take several months to do so anyway. You may run into further complications with authorities, pirates, and regulations, or you might simply go out of your way to embark on a sidequest. Either way, the RtD will be somewhat democratic from now on. Each player can nominate an action, and every player can vote for other people's actions.

As your vessel approaches the cold gas giant, you pick up a series of transmissions originating from across the system. The bridge's linguists piece it together into a conversation between a Centauri Royal Navy vessel and a Ross Fleet vessel.

Centauri Ship: This is the HMS Floating Tiger to the unidentified Ross vessel in this system. Requesting you make your plans clear. Over.
Ross Ship: RFV Liberation here. We are performing a Class 3 operation, information not available to the public or foreign navies. Foreign navies have access to Class 2 information and below, Class 3 is reserved for affiliated entities and military allies, Class 1 is public. *beep*
HMS Floating Tiger: Protocol acknowledged. You will make this information clear to us. Over.
RFV Liberation: This this a threat? *beep*
HMS Floating Tiger: We are running a classified operation. Operation takes precedence over intramilitary regulations.
RFV Liberation: Understood. *long pause, slight chatter heard* We are able to transmit the message privately via laser. Schedule meeting place.
HMS Floating Tiger: Negative. Operation does not permit deviation from planned course. Over.
RFV Liberation: Please specify meeting place yourself, then. *beep*
HMS Floating Tiger: Negative. Information is classified.

Ah, squabbling over information privileges and military operations. Typical.

The Centauri vessel is currently on a course for Dione's outer gas giant, Polyphemus. The Ross vessel is currently orbiting Aton. You'll be able to contact the Ross vessel directly after a while, though communication with the Centauri vessel will take some hours. However, Polyphemus is also your destination. You merely happen to be using Aton's parent body to maintain your speed.

You also happen to receive a transmission from the Ross vessel.

RFV Liberation: Greetings Borealis. Please state course--you are coming in a little hot.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 24, 2014, 02:29:43 am »

~A few time units ago~
"Miss, do your efforts fare?"
((Sorry, busy-busyness happened lately, along with technical issues))
"I've been able to acquire two of the three prototypes for our field use after we embark. The Graphene cloak for personal protection and a supporting weapon which modifies the velocity of multiple projectiles within an area. The former is able for mass production after testing results are out, while the latter is more of a specialized subset which would require monumental efforts to make common."

Having finished her situational report, Jo thanked the merchant and headed off back towards the ship.

While on board, the knight made sure to support and maintain the integrity of the ship by being at her post alongside the others, though she did lack knowledge of interstellar authority in this context. She awaited the others' decision on what to respond, though she wondered if being direct was the best course of action in future encounters.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 02, 2015, 01:53:57 pm »

((Yes yes, extra armor plating.))

Russano sighs before replying to the Ross vessel. "We intend to make a quick stop at Dione before continuing on our way towards our destination."

Try to make sure we'll avoid the path of the squabbling vessels and if necessary to get to Dione then at least warn them beforehand. We aren't a combat vessel, so they surely wouldn't want to butt heads with us, right? What we want from Dione is mostly up-to-date information about any problems we may face while making our way towards the Arcas cluster.

Since we haven't been able to stand, Russano's been reading and experimenting with his luck with dice throws and cards in an attempt to discern any deepest meaning within it all. And add a point to "I Like These Odds".
I want to see what happens when a gambling warlock diplomat dances the tango with Lady Luck.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 02, 2015, 11:59:34 pm »

Agree with russano on course.

Attempt to soulbind particle gun during flight.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 04, 2015, 07:15:03 pm »

Roll 118

Agree with russano on course.

Attempt to soulbind particle gun during flight.

[4] Despite the increased gravity, you are able to focus quite easily on the weapon, and it binds quite easily.

Unlike what happened with the scalpel, where it took crumpling the thing in your hands for it to morph, the particle gun morphs right away, perhaps because it was defective when it was sold to you.

It turns into a Tongues of Onyx.

While on board, the knight made sure to support and maintain the integrity of the ship by being at her post alongside the others, though she did lack knowledge of interstellar authority in this context. She awaited the others' decision on what to respond, though she wondered if being direct was the best course of action in future encounters.

[4] Well, quite fortunately the ship's crew has most of the positions handled. You are still able to perform inspection roles, however. Since the heightened gravity makes walking hazardous, the crew moves around the ship in chairs similar to those electric carts found in supermarkets, typically reserved for the elderly. You inspect the power conduits, containing narrow streams of plasma and carrying huge currents across the ship's length, to make sure containment hasn't failed anywhere. You also inspect cryogenics, occasionally removing a gat or several roach bodies from the.

In fact, the roaches are rather aggravating, although Herman Jackson, one of the custodial workers, assures you they are a natural part of the ship's ecosystem. Rather than mites and fleas, the ship maintains a population of roaches in order to clean up after the crew. Without them, the ship's inner surfaces would become coated in skin flakes and bacterial colonies. The gats are there to keep the roach population at bay.

Spoiler: Gat (click to show/hide)

((Yes yes, extra armor plating.))

Russano sighs before replying to the Ross vessel. "We intend to make a quick stop at Dione before continuing on our way towards our destination."

Try to make sure we'll avoid the path of the squabbling vessels and if necessary to get to Dione then at least warn them beforehand. We aren't a combat vessel, so they surely wouldn't want to butt heads with us, right? What we want from Dione is mostly up-to-date information about any problems we may face while making our way towards the Arcas cluster.

Since we haven't been able to stand, Russano's been reading and experimenting with his luck with dice throws and cards in an attempt to discern any deepest meaning within it all. And add a point to "I Like These Odds".
I want to see what happens when a gambling warlock diplomat dances the tango with Lady Luck.

A simple application of quantum mechanics suggests that probabilities are a superposition of states. now, this by no means suggests those superimposed states are equally real, but as a Warlock you are certainly capable of bringing them all into reality. It takes a bit of work and physical knowledge, however, which explains why the most capable mages also tend to be physicists or engineers. But first and foremost, it takes experience, such that you actually know the difference between what is real and what is not. The very thing that makes something real as opposed to not real eludes your grasp for now, but you've come closer to being able to make possibilities a reality.

Roger, you are cleared. Requesting you stay out of conflict this system.

The Borealis halts in port over Dione. The vista here is quite impressive. The planet's equatorial lake flows across a meandering path, formed through an unfamiliar geological process still being studied. The entire body of water sloshes in one direction during half of the moon's orbit, then in the other as it completes an eccentric loop around its host planet. Intense geological activity renders most of the surface inhospitable, but the lake has an effect on plate tectonics which tends to keep the surface in one piece. Most of the planet's population--several millions of souls--resides in communal complexes along the banks of the lake. Launches are primarily done via space-plane.

The spaceport has a gravity ring with a population of about 80,000 permanent residents. Its services are sparse, although the quaint nature of the establishment means that a lot of commodities get off being sold without naval intervention. Generally, whenever a side tries to assert its laws over Dione, the other side politically intervenes.

Your next stops are... not too favorable:

Invictus: An independent system consisting of one superterran planet orbiting a dim red dwarf. The planet has a mildly comfortable temperature and atmosphere, although native lifeforms are nonexistant. The star is undergoing a flaring period, which means that radiation levels in the system are at an all-time high, sterilizing said planet. Pirates roam the system, having a secret base hidden inside the circumstellar disk.

Icarus: A system infested by Von Neumann replicators from an old Centauri military project. The only thing that kept the sector from being overrun is the fact that the wormholes to and from this system are all located in the radiation belts of the system's gas giants. Unable to survive doses of ionizing radiation from approaching the wormhole, the replicators have halted their spread. Probe reconnaissance indicates that the plague has mostly starved itself out, having converted a sizeable portion of surface material into more machines on whichever planets they inhabit. The most habitable world left is a ball of water orbiting the gas giant you will enter orbit of when visiting the system. Said planet is relatively clear of machines due to its composition being unsuitable for replication.
Note: The machines are mostly incapable of ship-to-ship combat. Or at least, they weren't designed to be able to. They did rob the system of any economic significance, however.

Brandenburg: A Ross system which is the seat of politicians from the local Ross administrative district. You receive rumors that an assassination is in the works against a controversial politician, whose free-market policies have led to imported Centauri goods driving local producers out of business. A hefty feat, given the costs and risks of interstellar transport. Should this happen, the system will surely be locked down as Ross authorities clamp down on outward traffic.

Port Dione, Dione Orbit, Planet Ra

Note: Weapon classes are a cap on the class of the weapon able to be equipped in that slot. A class 2 mount can use a class 1 weapon, for example.

Equipment Available:
Ray Cannon (class 1) - A ship-scale particle beam suitable for mounting on turret hardpoints. These pack more punch than your vanilla coilguns against starships, but are less suitable for point defense roles. They also irradiate the enemy crew due to Bremsstrahlung effects.
Swarm Missiles (class 2) - A versatile weapon, capable of performing both point-defense and anti-ship roles, excelling at both. They can only be used once per engagement, however, unless reloaded (which comes with its own risks).

Commodity Supply/Demand: ((This is cargo, which you can buy or supply. Its pricing will depend on how well you can negotiate.))
In Supply:
Iron Ore
Terraforming Gases
Industrial Chemicals
Electronic Components

In Demand:
Carbon Polymers
Personal Weaponry
Seafood Products
Meat Products

Ship Upgrade Points: 89
Equipment Stored:
Heavy Railgun (class 5)
Equipment Mounted:
Weapons
Class 1 Turret - Aldrosian Light Coilgun (class 1)
Class 2 Turret - Aldrosian Heavy Coilgun (class 2)
Class 5 Spinal Mount - Distortion Projector (Class 5) (Replacing a ship's main weapon, this device creates a cone-shaped spatial distortion that makes outgoing projectiles faster, while effectively nullifying incoming fire)
Defense
Armor Slot - Steel Plating (1/6th roll to absorb incoming fire without damage)
Shield: Plasma Net (Stops radiation)

Bleh, I hit the character limit. I'll post sheets in a separate post from now on.

Character Sheets Here
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:09:01 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 04, 2015, 07:16:01 pm »

Character sheets. Refer to this post for now, I will re-post it when the characters leave space.

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:26:39 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 04, 2015, 07:50:11 pm »

Attempt to find a source of helium-3 to putchase a supply for refueling my suit.

((Kinda tempted to start a barfight...))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 06, 2015, 03:00:43 am »

Attempt to find a source of helium-3 to putchase a supply for refueling my suit.

((Kinda tempted to start a barfight...))

((Not sure if people want to mess with a power-armored Cyrian))

[2] Ra is a gas giant with a mildly steep gravity well. It hasn't been developed much as of late and the most activity in its atmosphere consists of independent harvesting activities, generally trade vessels making fuel stops. The port does, however, offer a harvesting drone for sale (3 ship upgrade points), which would allow the Borealis to engage in its own harvesting activities now and in the near future.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 75