Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 66870 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real
« Reply #735 on: May 19, 2014, 08:09:27 am »

"How long will the helium 3 in the tank sustain the suit for?"
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 19, 2014, 10:16:16 pm »

"How long will the helium 3 in the tank sustain the suit for?"

"That's the thing. A single gram of the stuff gives about 30 gigajoules. Judging from the online specs I can find, it'll last you more than a couple missions on a single tank."

EDIT: fixed calcs
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 02:36:38 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 20, 2014, 12:49:46 am »

"all right, ill take it."

buy the microfusion cell.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 20, 2014, 01:15:52 am »

"all right, ill take it."

buy the microfusion cell.

The woman starts connecting various tubes and cables together to form the entire apparatus, finally attaching several straps and a power cable to the end designed to fit with the charging station on the back of your suit.

"Alright, let's give it a test run..."

She twirls a few dials on the control panel, then lowers the cover. Inside the fusors, tiny suns begin to take form, emitting an eerie glow as the gas surrounding the cores dissociates into plasma. Jasmine fits on one final apparatus and connects it, then armors the whole package with a pre-manufactured sheet of titanium plate composite.

After the machine hums for a few moments, she attaches a counter to the outlet.
"The yield is... spot on. Looks like my magic still works. Alright, just remember one thing: This power source I am selling you is nothing more than a fusion reactor. Those glowing balls you see inside are what keeps the whole reaction going and provide the necessary conditions for fusion. There isn't anything special about the kind of energy this produces."

With that, you buy the device and attach it to your suit. Immediately, your batteries skyrocket to full charge! The suit runs fine with the cobbled-together apparatus, and you're not sure how the shopkeeper managed to put it together so fast... modular construction is a thing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:25:23 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 20, 2014, 04:35:32 am »

"Perfect, pleasure doing business with you."

Go find a helium 3 vendor and buy a few tanks worth.

((Is the cell enchantable?))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 20, 2014, 05:36:16 pm »

"Perfect, pleasure doing business with you."

Go find a helium 3 vendor and buy a few tanks worth.

((Is the cell enchantable?))

((The two miniature stars that provide the conditions necessary for fusion are psionic in nature.))

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 20, 2014, 05:54:20 pm »

Why are there earth animals on alien worlds? Have they been brought in by colonizers? Regardless, I should not provoke the poor cat.

Sneak  past the leopard, and climb up the mountain to the summit. Look for monastery-like buildings that would likely be inhabited by an ancient master of psionics with untold secrets.

((Also, why does my trench coat still have 0 Charisma after washing?))
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3... Let's do this again.
« Reply #742 on: May 20, 2014, 07:14:46 pm »

Roll 75

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

You briefly explain to your companions what you are about to do, then create the portal on the opposite side of the office from before.

As you expected, the four inhabitants of the room are near their previous locations. The one in the yellow cloak appears to have bent down to examine the spot where you last stood in the room. You suspect he may have spell flux powers similar to your own. But at the moment, you haven't time to think and ponder--it's time to do work!

You perform two moves at once... [2+1] just managing to do so without knocking yourself out, although your precision will suffer (no Warlock bonus) for the following spells.
[5] You lightning bolt the black-cloaked infiltrator, and your conjecture that he is the fastest of them all proves correct! He counter-strikes immediately, taking the bolt to the shoulder but lunging back at you with a blade quickly procured from his sleeve. You don't panic at all, realizing that one of your newer skills may just come in handy. Forming a reactionary barrier of glowing air, you stand your ground as the assassin's blade pierces the shield--and is promptly vaporized. Its wielder steps back, retrieving another blade and preparing for another attack.
[2] While you reacted to the counter-attack, you were hardly able to identify the slowest of the group. After you regain your focus you hastily drain the furthest assassin, the one in blue, but you fail to sense any amount of power flowing.

Jo hides behind the portal, intercepting green assassin as he draws his SMG. The green assassin is now disarmed.
Perfectio leaps out of the portal, exclaiming loudly that the four strangers are under arrest under authority of the Crown. He is promptly smacked in the face by the assassin in blue, who wields some sort of glowing enchanted hammer.

The yellow assassin seems to be unaware of what is going on, still focused heavily on the ground where you stood moments ago.

superBlast, AKA Ryan

You shift your focus into the room's power grid, taking note of what is causing the massive power fluctuations. As you try to comprehend what occurred, the realization dawns on you that the fluctuations are being caused by another force similar to your own... you briefly recall to yourself a thought experiment that you somehow remember, through all the muddiness of your memory.

Consider air molecules in a sealed chamber, bouncing about, and split off into two sections by a partition in the middle. A door in the center of the partition only allows molecules moving one way to pass through. Eventually, through random motion, all of the air is drained into the second chamber. This idea, combined with all the talk between the professors about entropy and all that other stuff that makes your head hurt... is surprisingly relevant here. You sense that the charges in the wiring are spontaneously being rearranged such as to form electric potentials. But who, you wonder, is doing this? Floating about through the system you recognize the proto-mind you created earlier, still present somehow. It seems vengeful, but you are unsure of what other motives it may have.

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

Walking out in your newly upgraded armor, you ask Hadrial where you can find some He3.

"I sense that you are new here. Helium 3 is used in spacecraft shielding is heavy and there are many complications with the containment of radiation when, for example, docking.

Here on the surface, there is plenty of tritium and deuterium to use for more conventional reactions. You won't find a single supply company bringing helium 3 down to the surface as there is simply no demand for it. Try a shipyard or trading post."

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

The leopard continues on its way. It doesn't seem to notice you crawling just out of sight.

Scanning the horizon for anything of interest, you identify a dusty wooden building covered by a mound of snow, its door and chimney exposed. Interested, you approach the building.

As you come closer to the old shack, you hear a pair of animals coming up behind you. There are now two snow leopards! One of them is snarling and stepping closer and closer to you, while the other remains silent and stands further back.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 20, 2014, 07:57:00 pm »

'What? How did it get here? I left it on a closed circuit away from the rest of the building...' Ryan thinks to himself he realizes the mind structure thing is probably the one causing this.

"I know what's going on now... and it seems it's indirectly my fault.... I don't think I have time to explain it now... just try not to get shocked while I try to stop this," Ryan says to Geronimo and Dr. Valenkin, letting them know he knows what is going on.

First thing Ryan needs to do is to reroute the built up power someplace else before another lightning strike happens. Also, while working on that, Ryan tries to communicate with the mind... maybe reason with it to stop what it's doing.

'Can you hear this? Why are you attacking us?' Ryan thinks, trying to send his thoughts through the network of the building, thinking he might be able to talk to the proto-mind. He never tried doing this before so he has no idea if he can do something like this.

Allow the charge in the room to go through the wires like it's supposed to be doing. At the same time try to communicate with the proto-mind by sending my thoughts into the buildings network.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 21, 2014, 03:41:23 am »

"Guess ill just have to wait until the others get back and we hit orbit again.

I think ill head back to that cloak and dagger store and see if i can convince the owner to teach me how to enchant stuff while i wait for the others."

Head back to cloak and dagger and see if the owner will tutor me in the basics of enchanting, for money if necessary.

"Hello sir, are you still here?
I was wondering if you might tutor me in the basics how to enchant items if you are feeling up to it."

((Are twin items a thing? As in enchanted items that apply effects on each other?))

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 05:33:31 pm by Unholy_Pariah »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 21, 2014, 05:11:55 pm »

((Are twin items a thing? As in enchanted items that apply effects on each other?))

((I try not to explain things too well so that players can experiment.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 24, 2014, 08:56:26 am »

Though slightly dizzy after his flurry of psionics usage, Russsano's rather happy about being able to pull it off successfully. Things could have gone far worse. "Let me try this: I'm Warlock Russano Neskratt, stand down in the Crown's name. Which one of you is the messengers' assassin?" His order and question are followed by yet another attack on his part.

Cast Twisted Transistor on the yellow assassin and maintain a defensive posture.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 24, 2014, 12:20:56 pm »

Great, more animals to ward off. It's almost as if they are drawn to me...

Increase my size while holding my arms out. Lift a boulder up and throw it into the ground to make a loud sound.

(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 24, 2014, 12:56:20 pm »

Roll 76

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

superBlast, AKA Ryan

[2] The mind is completely unresponsive, either uncaring or unable to understand--after all, it could just be trying to defend itself from the entity that tried to kill it! As you loosen your grip, another arc bursts from the last outlet in the room, replacing it with a smoking crater.

"That was the last outlet in the room itself. There are more in the closets, but I believe we have some time to think now..."
"Shout if you feel charge building up again."

Suddenly, you feel charges all over your body. In fact, the whole room seems to be shaking. The entire building twists and turns, vibrating like jello and flinging its contents around the rooms. All this seems to subside after a while, leaving the room in a mess.

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

Jo goes for the yellow assassin first! [R:3] [J:3] You feel your own link established as both transistors kick in, refreshing your mind and letting you focus. Jo's opponent now slowed and unable to dodge, she strikes at him with her bladed staff and halts his meditation.

The man in black effortlessly sneaks The man in black reappears behind you swiftly and stabs you in the back, his dagger piercing your layered composite underneath with almost no effort!  (Enemy rolled 5) [5+1] You respond with due force, channeling all of the energy from your your twisted transistor links into a constant stream of energy flux and electrical arcs, bringing him to the ground!

As you step over to the wounded assassin, the yellow assassin awakes, and all goes quiet for a few moments.
And then, every logical cause and effect, every trace of logic, all disappears in an instant. The room fills with energy, shaking immensely as the sudden release of mental energy triggers a-entropic reactions and creates macroscopic motion from the random fluctuation of molecules. The carbon and water in your blood turn back to sugar, the rust on exposed metal surfaces vaporizes and leaves begind pristine surfaces. Electricity flows backwards. Time flows backwards... and forwards at the same time. This psion has no control over the domain of time, but that of cause and effect. On a fundamental level, you wonder which one takes precedence in our world.

With that mental attack, the building starts to shake, and the walls are displaced from their bases. Some of the supports buckle under the weight of the palace, but the room does stay intact.

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

You return to the shop you visited before. [1] The neon sign outside reads 'CLOSED'.

[1] You look around the sides of the shop to see if the owner is still awake and working inside. But you see nothing, and hear nothing but the heater running, keeping the interior cool from Aldros II's chilly climate.

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

[3] You successfully slam a boulder into the ground. The big cat starts to attack the boulder.

Its mate creeps closer and attacks you! As it leaps, it transforms into the tentacled monster you previously encountered, wrapping its tentacles around your lower body and digging its beak into your armor! Pulling it off proves difficult, as the slightly higher atmospheric pressure of Aldros II makes its suction cups all the more effective at attaching themselves.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 24, 2014, 05:12:49 pm »

"Show off!" Russano exclaims between teeth as he attempts to think of a way to stop the enemy before something really, really bad happens. Opting against his most trusted offensive skill due to the fact that, no matter how it is, the lightning is visible upon release and consequently a quick sequence of attacks could be tampered with, the diplomat decides to strengthen the Transistor link until the man can fight no longer.

Activate I Like These Odds and Cast Twisted Transistor on the yellow assassin once again in an attempt to drain him dry. In case of large energy buildup, release it with a Breeze of Life.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 75