Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 66903 times)

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real
« Reply #660 on: April 11, 2014, 01:28:04 pm »

"Oh... alright then... and doesn't seem like much of a big deal... I just made it shoot itself is all...." Ryan says with a shrug. He takes this opportunity to leave and wonder around the ship... remembering that before that last mission, he was on the verge of remembering something.

Wonder around the ship, think about my miniquest of discovering a power.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 11, 2014, 04:24:26 pm »

"Excellent, I was afraid they would have some tricks up their sleeve. We should make haste then, but tell the crew anyone who was considering writing down their wills can leave it for a later date." Russano answers, intertwining his fingers and smiling as he takes a seat at the bridge.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 12, 2014, 12:43:57 am »

"Now that the ship is dealt with, we can continue our path to Aldros. I wonder what Russano has learned during Ryan and my absence."

Find out where Russano as run off to, and head there to be informed of any new information.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3... Let's do this again.
« Reply #663 on: April 12, 2014, 10:03:36 pm »

Roll 68

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

Quote from: Characters
-PC's-
Dominic Zoshan
Kenjaro
Ryan
Russano Neskratt
-NPC's-
Codo
Harry North
First Mate John Astley

superBlast, AKA Ryan

[2] Impressed by your own ability and eager to do more, you start to wander around the ship, taking the elevator to various parts and looking at the electronics. Perhaps, you think to yourself, your powers are the key to discovering your past. They have become far more potent since you first remembered getting them. You conveniently forget that your original powers were fire-based, and proceed to fruitlessly ponder theories about computer science and your technokinesis instead.

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

In the time that it takes you to reacustom yourself with your surroundings, you find that the captain has already seated himself in his own chair. You come closer, and Russano swings around to face you. He informs you that he was simply learning about various groups that might be responsible for the hijacking of the expedition you are looking for.

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

Before you take off, you first check the armor's status to see if the ship's engineer charged it.
You look for buttons on the helmet and find a tiny button on the inner rim of the helmet seal, pressing it immediately. The visor lights up, forming text on the surface indicating the following:
BATTERY STATUS: 100%
ESTIMATED BATTERY TIME: 2 HOURS, 15 MINUTES

You cringe slightly at the abysmal performance of the mobile suit. Granted, it's designed for security purposes, and the designers aren't really able to swap out the motors and battery for an internal combustion engine and hydraulic system. The armor needs to be used indoors in a confined space, and as such cannot pollute the air. For purposes of war, gas powered armor is definitely the way to go. Thinking about this brings back memories of power-armor-clad Cyrian marines proceeding down hallways, followed by teams of engineers and soldiers wearing gas masks and rebreathers over their light plate.
The Cyrus legion may have not fulfilled what you wanted from them, but they were a competent military force that could easily compete with the major houses if the Cyrian supply line hadn't been crippled since the fall of Locyrmor (their homeworld) at the end of the 2nd Galactic War.

You head up to the armory, just a level below the shuttle bay. A young man, both extremely tall and thin and wearing a black scarf with diagonal sky-blue stripes across its length. The end of the scarf terminates in many ends capped with steel spikes, leading you to conclude that this is an Aroth clansman from Caldr, although you forget the name of the particular clan. You definitely recognize the outfit, though.

"Hey! Call me Gustaf."
You awkwardly greet the man and start inching toward the armory entrance.
"Hold on... are you requesting access to the armory? Feel free to drop in at any time. Don't take any weapons out without the Captain's express permission, however."

Inside the armory, you find racks of various blades, guns, and cases containing high explosives and advanced devices such as EMP charges and portable scanners. There is a firing range and practice room where you can test weapons out.

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

You remain quiet, although your crew hesitates before changing course. After a long silence, you explicitly grant them permission and set them to work. The gravity aboard the vessel shifts wildly as the maneuvers are made. As it turns, loose objects and pieces of debris gently gravitate toward the front of the bridge, doing so in a curved path because of the Coriolis effect. The same physical effect turns your stomach and makes you want to vomit, although doing so would put forth a bad example to the crew. A captain is expected to to be a master of both sword and ship, and that meant being able to stand through even the most nauseating of maneuvers a ship could make.

The Borealis makes its way to the jump gate out of the system without any serious complications. It will be a long way back to Aldros II, but after a number of jumps, gravitational assists, and sub-FTL

The Boralis approaches Aldros II after its journey, roughly 38 days amidst the stars. The great vessel parks itself in orbit of the small telluric world, meeting up with tankers and supply ships ready to help its crew restore the surface of the ship and top off on fuel/water.
Our party (Russano, Dominic, Ryan, Kenjaro, Codo, Harry, and the 2 inactive player characters {who will be removed from the plot for now. I might use them as NPC's in the future if their owners never decide to come back, although I don't think I can imitate Wwolin's style very well.}) approaches the airstrip in a shuttle piloted by Ares Teno. The planet's capital, Aterrus, first appears as a small patch of lights with several columns of steam and smoke rising from various places. As the party approaches, its skyline begins to form: colossal skyscrapers intermixed with gothic-style clocktowers and cathedrals. The Queen's palace dominates the meager apartments and shops surrounding it, being perched on a hill overlooking all but the tallest of the buildings in the city. Several raised highways twist and turn as they lead into every building on multiple levels.

The people of Aldros celebrate their heritage with utmost reverence, maintaining all of the old structures in the city--left over from simpler times--with newer technologies. Several modern structures even mimic the old ones, featuring kilometer-high brick facades backed by carbyne steel and carbon girders. The millennium-old clocktower, known as Towering Thomas, stands tall by the river, displaying two clocks--one for the planet's native rotational cycle, and one for the standard Earth cycle that acts as the baseline for the rest of the sector. Overall, the city is sparsely populated. Most of the industries are highly automated, leaving only a few spots open for management and engineering positions. But like all Aldrosians, the people of Aterrus prefer to leave as much space as possible open for improvement, choosing to expand upward rather than outward. The largest street in the center of the city faces almost constant darkness, overshadowed by the buildings, arches, highways, and tram lines that span the gaps. As one moves up, the city becomes progressively lighter, as well as the atmosphere, requiring humans to bring oxygen with them over two kilometers up. This is because the city's layout is only possible with Aldros II's reduced gravity (6.78 m/sē).

As Ares parks the shuttle inside a hangar, the party moves out and searches for guidance. Since the travel time of an interstellar voyage is fairly easy to calculate, it doesn't come off as unfair to expect Perfectio to at least be somewhat attentive during the period of time Russano's return would be likely. Relativistic effects don't account for much during in-system transit.
Fortunately, Russano spots Perfectio himself coming out of a transport vehicle along the tarmac along with an entourage of bodyguards and royal persons.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:30:28 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 13, 2014, 05:46:22 am »

Ignore timeskip, play with shotguns.

"Hey Gustaf, how is weapons requisition handled on this ship?
If i wanted to swap this heavy rifle for one of your weapons, who would have the authority to accept the trade?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 13, 2014, 01:30:45 pm »

Ignore timeskip, play with shotguns.

"Hey Gustaf, how is weapons requisition handled on this ship?
If i wanted to swap this heavy rifle for one of your weapons, who would have the authority to accept the trade?

((Retroactive roll is okay. I was going to mention you could do one but I forgot.))

"The armory is a storage. Most of the weapons in here technically belong to Captain, as they are part of the ship. If you store one of yours in here you are most definitely free to retrieve it in the future. However, please leave a note on the inventory panel.

As for the heavy rifle, this isn't a shop, but I don't think the captain would mind you arming yourself. The inventory panel has an automated system for sending requests. All the captain has to do is tap 'accept' on his tablet."

*If Caellath doesn't respond to this particularly, we will assume he said yes*

--

[3] During your time on the ship, you try out a few different shotguns, experimenting with slugs, flechettes, and regular shot. None of them can compare to your old one, but you weren't able to get it back from the station anyway. You might as well be grateful for what help you got.

Options (hover over to see description):
-Axellum K12 [15/15]
-Dragon's Breath (There are no spare crystals of the same color, although you find similar crystals of green, blue, and yellow flavors.)
-Phantom GTX [8/8]

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 13, 2014, 05:40:52 pm »

head over to the inventory panel and put in a request for the Axellum K12, under the notes or comments section leave a message stating that i am willing to leave the recovered naginata heavy rifle in exchange.

Head back down to engineering and try to find my new best buddy so i can thank him for repairing my suit and ask if theres anything he could do to boost its total operating time.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 13, 2014, 08:48:01 pm »

((I wanna ask if I can make a couple rolls to see if I figured out anything about my past... or something about the miniquest with the letters. Since I figure Ryan didn't sit on his ass not figuring out his past for 38 days lol.))
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 13, 2014, 10:11:48 pm »

((I wanna ask if I can make a couple rolls to see if I figured out anything about my past... or something about the miniquest with the letters. Since I figure Ryan didn't sit on his ass not figuring out his past for 38 days lol.))

((Roger. Everyone now gets one retroactive roll during travel.))
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 10:16:55 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 13, 2014, 10:27:37 pm »

Retroactive Roll:

During the 38 days of travel, Ryan was trying to finds leads and clues about his past... he figured maybe his abilities could help him remember. Since it's been very apparent not everyone has powers and everyone's is diffent from each other it seems, maybe reasearching his powers could be the key to his past.

Do research on psions and psionic powers in hopes I can remember something or a find a possible clue.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 13, 2014, 10:45:06 pm »

((Well seeing as talking to gustaf would take all of twenty seconds i think ill spend my 38 days down in engineering getting my power armor customised as per my above action.))

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 14, 2014, 12:18:43 am »

As Dominic stepped onto Aldrosian soil, he remembered the time spent flinging his top-hat across the ship.

Retroactively practice flinging my top-hat across rooms, onto lights, etc.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 14, 2014, 06:22:21 pm »

((Yeah these travel times really do sort of cut into our suspension of disbelief. That's what I get for putting engineering facilities, research labs, and a library on the ship.))

head over to the inventory panel and put in a request for the Axellum K12, under the notes or comments section leave a message stating that i am willing to leave the recovered naginata heavy rifle in exchange.

Head back down to engineering and try to find my new best buddy so i can thank him for repairing my suit and ask if theres anything he could do to boost its total operating time.

You come back to find Richard Oktar continuing his work on your new armor.
"Uh, Kenjaro. You didn't wear the armor, did you?"
You probably forgot to deactivate the status display on the helmet. When you activated it you simply assumed it would time out after some time. But regardless, you didn't put the armor on. You ask him why he is curious.
"I didn't fix the seal just yet. If you had worn it I would have told you to check your upper arms for cuts since the metal isn't even smoothed out on the inside."

Fair enough. You finally ask him how you can extend the operational time on the armor. He tells you that Landmark Industries suits always keep their motors powered so that the wearer can instantly respond to any threat. The suit in question is designed for security, not warfare, so the operating company can afford to swap out suits regularly. Having a fusion reactor on-station means that the extra power draw is negligible, since the reactor produces a superfluous amount of power anyway.

He begins to make some modifications to the suit, using hydraulics for stability and precision movements, as well as pneumatics for faster motions, keeping motor use minimal. As long as you don't constantly walk and just stand around, the suit should be able to conserve power simply because it doesn't need to keep its motors always on to balance. The downside is that all of these extra systems will add a significant amount of weight to the suit, making it less maneuverable. The augments will be detachable, so you can remove them if necessary.

The changes to the final product are as follows:
-Defense restored to 3 from 2
-Deflect chance restored to 2 from 1

The suit will gain a new item that can be attached called "Oktar's Powersuit Augments." This item applies the following modifiers when equipped to the suit:
-Clumsiness increased to 2 from 1
-Strength increased to 3 from 1

Retroactive Roll:

During the 38 days of travel, Ryan was trying to finds leads and clues about his past... he figured maybe his abilities could help him remember. Since it's been very apparent not everyone has powers and everyone's is diffent from each other it seems, maybe reasearching his powers could be the key to his past.

Do research on psions and psionic powers in hopes I can remember something or a find a possible clue.

[6] Ah yes, psionics. They are a curious thing, really. You aren't able to remember the source of your own powers at all, but you are curious as to what others have to say regarding theirs. The woman back on the Van Buren station stands out to you in particular. It seems clear that her powers came as more of a realization rather than a conscious effort to learn. Perhaps it isn't one's own effort that grants him/herself powers. But if that's the case, you wonder why you are able to influence your powers so greatly and expand your abilities just by thinking about it.

All this music to yourself, sadly, does nothing to shed light on the question how you got your powers yourself. Perhaps, going with the theme the woman on the station started, you've always had a fascination with technology and the way things work--you think about it for a moment, letting the thought sit in for a while and hoping it'll refresh your memory. It doesn't.

Okay then, you consider the other possibilities. Maybe you were a hacker, forced into hiding after sabotaging the political scheme of some high-ranking government official? Probably not.

What if--you dread the case if this were true--you were a criminal, making a living through coercing people and threatening them. Over the years, you got more and more acquainted with the tools of the trade--explosives, knives capable of punching through most pressurized suits, silent weapons, and various hacking tools to take control of ships. You became a master, but used your skills for personal gain. You became partners in crime with Steven Cobalt, stealing valuable artifacts and causing havoc, disappearing into the void aboard unsuspecting captain's ships. Your friend, Steven, had powers of his own, and you were always amazed as what he could do with them. Driven by selfishness, you sought to have powers of your own, but never realized you had them from the beginning until your life depended on it. Trapped inside an orbital station with no way out and no ships docked, you tried to wrestle control of the station's security system to fight off security guards. Hacking did you no good without access to the mainframe, so you simply messed with the wires out of desperation and to your amazement--and Steven's--the doors began to open at your command. Chaos erupted throughout the station, suffocating people at random and closing bulkheads suddenly and without warning. Walking through the eye of the storm, you and Cobalt were able to take control of the station and send out a distress signal, immediately hijacking the incoming ship that came to help.

No, it wasn't like that. There was no way it could be.

As Dominic stepped onto Aldrosian soil, he remembered the time spent flinging his top-hat across the ship.

Retroactively practice flinging my top-hat across rooms, onto lights, etc.

[6] Having nothing better to do, you master the art of top-hat throwing. At the end of the trip, your skills have become so precise that you can fling a hat into a stand fifty meters away every time... now what exactly is this useful for?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 15, 2014, 05:42:57 pm »

((For organizational purposes, I will be doing planetside rolls in a different post))

Perfectio approaches the party, stepping ahead of his compatriots and bringing only three guards with him. On Aldros II, this was an indirect gesture of trust and respect, since leaving behind the rest of the guards signals that one trusts the visitor (usually a diplomat) while still bringing a few recognizes the visitor's strength.

He does a short bow in front of the party, then starts talking.
"Hello my friends! It's good to see that you've all returned in good condition. I... uh, welcome the newcomers as well."
He pauses for a moment, scanning his eyes over Kenjaro, Harry, and Codo. He then walks over, shaking each person's hand and calling each by name.
Finally, he turns his attention to Russano.
"So brother, I have important news to tell regarding your quest from the Queen. Just two weeks ago Earth Time, the city was attacked by a mysterious group we haven't yet documented. They... overpowered all our guards with just four men, as far as we could tell. It was embarrassing, to say the least. But the only thing they did once they got in was slaughter all of the brainwashed messengers we received from our expedition. All of them except one, that is. Archmage Halano was severely wounded trying to save him, but he managed to put a spell on the messenger that froze the prisoner in stasis.

Russano, your mastery of time and space rivals that of our highest archmages. Would you help us undo the stasis effect?"

As Russano considers, Perfectio turns to the rest of the group.
"Security measures have been put in place to keep any further disasters from occurring. You may freely roam the city and surrounding wilderness. However, you may only enter the palace with the three guards we have assigned you are in the building. These men and women are willing to give their lives for the continued peace and stability of our nation-state."
He mumbles on for a bit in a lower tone.
"Or, at least, they're supposed to. I know that I would certainly choose Aldros over any of the corrupt houses. Not even the Ross."

Finally, Perfectio introduces the three guards.
The first one steps forward and does a short bow.
"Sir Hadrial Benedictus III, at your service. Captain of the Herald's Order and veteran of three wars defending Aldrosian soil."
Hadrial wears a scarlet cape and hood over a suit of green-tinted chainmail. Slung over his shoulder is a massive greatsword with a golden, serrated blade. Holstered at his sides are two matching revolvers with natural wooden handles and scopes mounted to the rails.
"I am pleased to offer my services in keeping your party safe and guiding you throughout the burg. if you have any questions, do ask."
The next knight steps forward. This one bears a a scar over his face and wears a pair of glasses for casual use, although his helmet has a transparent visor that appears to have lenses built in.
"I am Geronimo Hastings, I work at Arcas University. Normally, I am a professor, but my convictions have led me to using my talents for good. I am pleased to serve today as a humble protector of our guests."
Geronimo's armor is more modern, with carbon-fiber plates overlapped over a layer of flexible polymers. He wears an Aroth-made scarf, though worn in a completely different fashion from how the Aroth traditionally wear them. His weapon is a simple Gladius-style blade with a dim blue glow, as well as an extendable pike on his back with a similar glow around its golden tip.
The guardswoman steps in last. She looks over the party, with its diverse set of faces and people. She wears a bright green cloak with a tilted white cross on one side, its limbs stretching across the whole fabric all the way to the edges, which are reinforced by a trim of flexible metal links. She has a rifle slung over her shoulder, and wears a strip of reactive armor over her chest and shoulder, similar to the kind you would find on a small vehicle armored against high velocity rounds. Underneath the cloak she had a white surcoat with light carbon plate underneath.
"My name is Josephine Baptiste, you can call me Jo,"
She pauses, having more to say, but interrupted by a loud wind blowing in from one of the runways.

Some info on Aterrus:
-Aterrus is a burg (a large city under direct control of the ruling lord. It is governed by a mayor, but the lord can intervene at any time, unlike an independent city-state or town). It is not the largest on Aldros II, however.
-One main street, Eternity Road, as it is called, stretches from the airstrip to the palace on the far side of the burg.
-The palace itself is a fair distance away from the rest of the buildings in the burg .
-There are two main residential areas consisting of stacked apartments and luxury homes built on platforms. There are four main levels to the city, each with its own network of trams and pathways connecting the shops and residential buildings.
-In the lower parts of the burg, there are several factory complexes and cargo transportation networks. Aterrus is the chief supplier of industrial supplies and machinery to the lesser-developed counties and fiefdoms along the countryside. Here, vast numbers of 3d printing stations and refineries convert raw materials flown in and shipped across the Lazarus river to supplies ready for construction and factory use.
-Aldros II is, much like most human border-world settlements, a zone where visitors usually carry their personal armor and weapons with them on the street. Since getting back into orbit is very difficult without a privately arranged launch (there are no space elevators on Aldros II yet, one is being built near Aterrus), newcomers tend to behave themselves, and crime rates are lower than more developed capitals on human worlds.
-Aldrosians tend to have a greater occurrence of psionic potential among their citizens. There are multiple universities that center their research around psionics.
-Aldrosians are also great fans of medieval weaponry and armor. While there are markets for imported weaponry, you can easily find craftsmen around the city that can build and enchant weapons/armor.
-There is a library in the burg, although there is currently a large festival occurring inside it. If you wish to gain a skill point from visiting, you will have gain understanding from sources other than books as there are a lot of people there already using them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:35:19 am by _DivideByZero_ »

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 15, 2014, 06:57:46 pm »

"Ah... alright." Ryan says in response to Perfectio saying they can roam the city for now.... not that he really had anything useful to do... though taking in the sights and getting a new, less life threatening experience sounds like a nice idea. Who knows, maybe something around here could help trigger his memory. With that thought he remember his self-research of psionics and how he didn't find anything he was hoping for... except for his over active imagination about his past. Which he hopes is just his imagination. But he can't tell if what he thought up was actually based on some memory and not purely his imagination. Last thing Ryan wants to be is a murderer or criminal... and if he is... he hopes he has a very good reason for being one. That's one reason he hasn't been around Steven even though he does hold Ryan's best lead to the past.

Before Ryan loses himself in his digressing thoughts, he wanted to ask Perfectio something before either of them left.
"Um... Mr. Perfectio... is there any place I'm allowed to go where I can learn a great deal about my powers... er... psionics? I was thinking maybe that could lead me to my past and all and uh... the ship's library didn't really tell me anything useful..."

Ask Perfectio stuff.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 75