Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 66929 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real
« Reply #585 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:45 pm »

"i guess that makes sense."

sit back and wait until somebody figures out whats going on.

"It really does, I--"

Astley put a single finger to his ear, pressing on the device looped around his right ear. Its notification light was glowing orange. He turned his head to glance at one of the crewmen in the corner doing the decoding work. You follow his gaze and see that one of the crewmen is motioning for the first mate to come over.
"Picking up a conversation between someone on the Van Buren station and a nearby Centauri fleet..."
He starts walking, telling you that you can come if you wish.

A janitor walks in to clean up the mess. The other crewmen seem to be working as normal. You're not sure if anything truly serious has happened.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:11:54 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 23, 2014, 11:21:10 pm »

follow him, i might as well.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 23, 2014, 11:38:55 pm »

The first mate leans on the glass desk as the crewman tilts the monitor slightly to make things easier to read. He plays back the audio feed, skipping the silent portions between messages. The monitor displays the current speaker and a transcript of previous messages.
Lieutenant Victor Wescott, Van Buren Private Security Feet: Are we speaking on a secure channel?
Admiral Ebenezer Cornbow, Centari Royal Navy: Check. No-one can hear us.
Lieutenant Victor Wescott: Excellent. Admiral Corbow, I believe we may have a case of sabotage on our hands. We had an explosion in the mines that damaged some of our mining tunnekls, although none of them are currently in use.
Admiral Ebenezer Cornbow: Are you requesting military assistance or investigation?
Lieutenant Victor Wescott: Both. Our station is empty save for essential personnel, and we are short on hands. If there is a serious threat I believe we would be seriously under-equipped for the situation. Can you do a sensor sweep of the nearby belt and look for hidden ships?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 24, 2014, 01:31:33 am »

"That... sounds a bit too familiar for my liking..."
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 24, 2014, 10:47:53 pm »

"Well well, it seems that my our escapades have elicited the attention of a Tory fleet...

Normally I am all-for following through with ceremonial customs, but in this case I would suggest we make haste immediately."

Call Russano. Send him this message.
My new friend, I believe that we should leave immediately and postpone the ceremony until we are safely out of the system. If your crew didn't tell you this already, of course..
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 25, 2014, 07:09:59 pm »

((Waiting on Caellath/Russano))
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:14:20 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 27, 2014, 12:46:25 am »

((Sorry about the delay.))

Russano is about to poke Ryan with his glove when he notices the incoming info from Dominic. After reading the message, he sends one to the bridge.
Quote from: Russano to Bridge
We should postpone the ceremony until we are safe. It seems the bloodhounds have already been unleashed.

Get the ship going so we get to safety ASAP. Poke Ryan out of his sleep.

"Anything wrong, Mister Ryan?" he asks, still alert in case all happens to be some kind of wonderfully-executed enemy trap.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3... Let's do this again.
« Reply #592 on: February 27, 2014, 10:29:15 pm »

Roll 60

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

-----

The large flat structures on the front and sides are radiators (some of which can be retracted during combat to protect them). There are a lot of ornamental features that function as protection from impacts due to their distance from the relatively narrow central compartment of the ship. The actual part that most of the crew are in is much smaller than the ship itself.

-----

Quote from: Characters
-PC's-
Dominic Zoshan
Kenjaro
Ryan
Russano Neskratt
-NPC's-
Codo
Harry North
Janet Yamato
Herman Jackson

superBlast, AKA Ryan

[5] You aren't entirely sure how to wake yourself up. it's frustrating, really, as you're perfectly awake and conscious. Unless, of course, there is something you don't know about the world... entertaining these thoughts, you start to wonder--what if the world itself were just an illusion. You think you know what that philosophy is called. Solipsism? The information comes back to you, frustrating you, somehow. You start to realize that this question had been bothering you deeply in the past, bothering you enough that just thinking about it almost sends you into an uncontrollable rage. Fortunately, you maintain control and expel the thoughts from your mind. Subsequently, you snap awake, shivering violently and bouncing around inside your sleepsack. Russano is right next to you, poking you in an attempt to wake you.

Your face is wet.

Caellath, AKA Russano Neskratt

Ryan starts to shake around, waking up and looking at you. You see that his eyes are bloodshot, and his whole face is covered in sweat that's clinging to his face and pooling up due to surface tension.

His tablet shuts off and soon starts booting back up normally. The lights cease to flicker, and slowly you feel a force pulling you to the ground. Looks like your crew started the engines already.

As expected, the gravity approaches a single G. However, it keeps increasing further... soon you are having difficulty standing.
Quote from: Bridge
Please note that we have increased the engine thrust to two Earth gravities.

Unholy_Pariah, AKA Kenjaro

The conversation continues:
Admiral Ebenezer Cornbow: We shall. All sensors pointed at your station as we speak.
Lieutenant Victor Wescott: Thank you sir! Long live Hoss!
Admiral Ebenezer Cornbow: Long lives.
*no traffic for a while in this channel*
Admiral Ebenezer Cornbow: I think we caught a runner. Our navigator found a ship, 204m long.

You openly ask how long the Borealis is.
"204 meters..." says Astley, a grim look on his face.
"Lets see if we can outrun Royal hardware."
The first mate motions for the crewmen to crank up the engine throttle. You feel a force pulling you back to the floor, but it increases far beyond what you are used to, especially since you spent about a month in zero gravity.

HEN, AKA Dominic Zoshan

You turn around to look at all the charts, spotting an enemy ship on the radar. It appears to be a Centauri Basilisk Class Interceptor... currently making its way toward the jumpgate your ship is heading for. The possibly-hostile enemy vessel is currently accelerating at a massive 5 G's--far faster than the Borealis is currently accelerating! At this rate, you will not reach the jumpgate first even though the enemy ship is twice as far.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 27, 2014, 11:25:35 pm »

"hmmm, do you think theyd be dumb enough to stop for an escape pod full of explosives?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 28, 2014, 03:27:19 pm »

"That depends. They're going to want to board our ship to look for evidence. They're not going to go for a kill if they don't have a valid reason to--"

Dominic interrupts with some input of his own.

"I am afraid your plan will not work, Kenjaro. The Basilisk Class is designed for full AI control. Most likely, there isn't a soul on board that thing. That's why they can go so bloody fast without turning their crew to butter.

In your part of the sector, the Ross and Cyrian governments have agreed that to preserve human dignity, no person's life shall be in the hands of a machine. The Centauri do not ascribe to this philosophy, and as such we will most likely be going up against an AI-controlled ship charged with the sole task of discouraging our escape.

That said, I believe our own vessel is more than capable of taking on a mere corvette-sized ship with no tactics to speak of."

((I hope it's okay that I took control of Dominic for a little bit there. I want to make some things clear about combat through exposition.))
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:34:02 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 01, 2014, 04:08:24 pm »

For testing purposes, try to knock away a nearby asteroid in camera sight. Toss my top-hat to use up time.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 03, 2014, 08:19:40 pm »

((Bump...))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 03, 2014, 09:11:27 pm »

await intership combat i guess

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 04, 2014, 02:09:40 am »

"Not so fast, an AI corvette is no easy prey. This ship is not purpose-built for combat, and our captain knows that. We can't penetrate their defenses until they overheat, which means that they have the upper hand by default. An AI vessel need not keep its average temperature at a habitable level. They can use the entire crew compartments as heatsinks and we have no way of knowing until we're out of time."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 04, 2014, 02:40:58 pm »

"Not so fast, an AI corvette is no easy prey. This ship is not purpose-built for combat, and our captain knows that. We can't penetrate their defenses until they overheat, which means that they have the upper hand by default. An AI vessel need not keep its average temperature at a habitable level. They can use the entire crew compartments as heatsinks and we have no way of knowing until we're out of time."

Wait, why does an AI-controlled ship have crew compartments? Just in case they want to have a crew on ship for some reason? Doesn't sound very logical for a ship that's designed for being AI-controlled.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 75