Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 75

Author Topic: RTD 3 -- Space Wizards for Real  (Read 66823 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: RTD 3... Let's do this again.
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2013, 08:24:00 pm »

(saying all that, do we have a way to nullify psionic powers on the ship? Having someone that could, theoretically, even manipulate us with her powers might be hilarious to see, but also potentially dangerous. :P)

You can already silence people (prevents them from using psionics) if you get a good role.

You can put a skill point into offensive telepathy (screwing with minds) so that you can still do those kinds of things with lower-than-usual rolls.
Alternatively, if Russano decides to be a more support-y character, he can extend his ironmind as an aura.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 18, 2013, 08:47:24 pm »

((Yeah, having her on ship may be a problem because of the fairly normal people running it unless we take some special precautions. Leaving her behind may end up being the best option so she can appear again later. Also, that saves her from Steven.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 18, 2013, 09:06:08 pm »

((Yeah, having her on ship may be a problem because of the fairly normal people running it unless we take some special precautions. Leaving her behind may end up being the best option so she can appear again later. Also, that saves her from Steven.))
;D
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2013, 06:31:39 pm »

((Dominic would like to increase the precision of his abilities so that he can begin to craft stuff out of rocks.))
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2013, 02:13:58 pm »

This is going by pretty slowly.

I'm going to just call these events level ups for the sake of brevity. I may or may not include an xp system so that we can level independently.
The titles are just there for fun. :)

Davis Theul--Level 2 Legionnaire
+Choice pending+
Russano Neskratt--Level 2 Warlock
+Energy Flux -> Spell Flux (Detects all psionic activity, enhanced radius)+
Steven Cobalt--Level 2 Womanizer
+Choice pending+
Dominic Zoshan--Level 2 Gentleman
+Gained Discipline of Form (Allows stonecrafting). Comes with +1 point into geokinesis+
Ryan--Level 2 Seeker
+Choice Pending+
+Choice Pending+

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2013, 02:48:14 pm »

((Steven will work to increase his control over his own cells, allowing him to not only regenerate but also change his appearance to look like other people. And I love the class names by the way.))
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2013, 06:43:23 pm »

(Soz, didn't know we weren't getting a story post to say we were on ship. I'm starting to grasp that my telepathy encompasses alot, if I can also silence psionics, so I'll put a skill point into that. If I can silence enemy psionics with a +1, that's pretty sweet. :P)

(EDIT: If there's a benefit to it, I'd probably go for 'Silence' instead: A branch from the telepathy tree, Davis can silence other psionics. I know you've said he CAN do this, but I assume as an unlearned skill. Do learned skills get a +1 or unlearned skills get -1 or... are unlearned skills just less effective? Sorry for the questions, but this RP's lasted long enough now, I kinda want to get my character right. (I think this has become the longest lasting RP I've been a part of in Bay12 since I joined XD))
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:57:41 pm by Maxinum McDreich »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2013, 07:32:19 pm »

(Soz, didn't know we weren't getting a story post to say we were on ship. I'm starting to grasp that my telepathy encompasses alot, if I can also silence psionics, so I'll put a skill point into that. If I can silence enemy psionics with a +1, that's pretty sweet. :P)

(EDIT: If there's a benefit to it, I'd probably go for 'Silence' instead: A branch from the telepathy tree, Davis can silence other psionics. I know you've said he CAN do this, but I assume as an unlearned skill. Do learned skills get a +1 or unlearned skills get -1 or... are unlearned skills just less effective? Sorry for the questions, but this RP's lasted long enough now, I kinda want to get my character right. (I think this has become the longest lasting RP I've been a part of in Bay12 since I joined XD))

((You can silence psionics on other people without any negative rolls.

However, if you roll a 3 it will only barely work, and rolling a 2 or 1 will fail more catastrophically than usual.
Expanding on your ability to silence psionics opens up new possibilities in psychic attack and counter-psionic psionics (lol).))

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2013, 08:17:25 pm »

(I like the idea of counter-psionics psionics (lol). So... I'll go with Silence)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2013, 11:08:51 pm »

Now that exams are done, some test results are in, and I can legally drive, it's time to actually update this thing...

Superblast didn't post anything specific about his powers. I'll retcon something in if he posts again.

Roll 24

Spoiler: superBlast, AKA Ryan (click to show/hide)

-----

Quote from: BOREALIS REGISTRY
-----TIME: 0634 GST-----
-----DATE: 28|3|4942----

----CREW STATUS----

-DECK-
Cpt. Neskratt, Russano [OK]
1st. Mate Astley, Ronald [OK]
2nd. Mate Geminus, Solomon [OK]
3rd. Mate Astley, Daniel [ON LEAVE]

-ENGINEERING-
Chf. Oktar, Richard [OK]
Travelmaster Reynolds, Lawrence [OK]

-RESEARCH-
Chf. Anyas, Horatio [OK]
Tech. Anyas, Elise [OK]
Cad. Orion, Marcus [IN MED BAY]

-MISC-
Cook Antioch, Bart [OK]
Dr. Rogers, Calvin [UNAVAILABLE]
Crewman Phillips, Jack [OK]
Crewman Jackson, Herman [OK]
Crewman Yamato, Janet [OK]
Pilot Teno, Ares [OK]

-UNAFFILATED-
Theul, Davis [GUEST]
Ryan, Ryan [GUEST]
Zoshan, Dominic [GUEST]
Cobalt, Steven [IN CRYO]

-----

As its voyage drew to a close, the crew of the Borealis began to make preparations. Cargo was tied down and loose objects were placed into boxes and lockers to prevent them from flying all over the crew quarters when manuvers were made.
In a dimly lit room close to the research wing, Steven slowly regained consciousness. As he realized he was still alive, he became aware that he was submerged in a tub of viscous fluid. Contrary to his instincts, his lungs made no demands for air. He saw foam at the surface of the vat he was in, moving with the current made by tubes that constantly refreshed the breathing fluid. He tried to lift himself out of the tub, but his skin stung with immense pain as he raised it out and touched the metal rail.
This troubled him, but it wouldn't kill him, he thought. He tried again until he could ignore the pain. Then, lifting his head above the water, he saw the image of himself reflected off the clear patches in the water. His skin was blue and spotted with patches of necrosis and mold.
"I'm ugly!" he croaked. Immediatedly, Steven called on his ability to regenerate damage and focused on regenerating his outer appearance. Meanwhile, he attepted to make sense of what had just happened. He remembered a lady, a beautiful lady, and then flashing lights and unconsciousness.

As his skin reformed, he found a jumpsuit hanging on the wall and put that on.

-----

Davis had meditated on his abilities for most of the voyage. Days of theorizing about the essence of psionics had given him deeper understanding of how his powers worked. More importantly, he also understood how other people's psionics worked. Observing the Travelmaster and the other psionics aboard allowed him to truly understand the way people created changes in their surroundings. His ability to affect people's minds, he believed, could be used to inhibit another person's abilities. Against an opponent like the woman at the tram station from a few days before, the ability to "silence" people, as Davis called it, would prove extremely useful. From a strategist's perspective, any amount of training dedicated to perfecting psionic skills in combat had an opportunity cost. Thus, nullifying a soldier's psionic training, if applicable, would always result in an advantage for him.

Now that he was done thinking about what could be, it was time to test his powers on somebody expendable. None of the crewmen, unfortunately, had any abilities or potential, as he had determined. This left one option without compromising the ship: Steven.
Since Russano knocked Steven out, he had ordered for Steven to be put into cryo-stasis until the end of the voyage. This way, he wouldn't cause any trouble, especially with the female crew members.

Davis made his way to the room Steven was left in to thaw. He approached the door, but heard footsteps. Assuming it was Steven, he opened it and instead saw the accountant in the room, squeezing cryo-fluid out of her hair.
Immediately, he unslung the rifle from his shoulder and flipped off the safety.
How does he do it!? he thought.

-----

In the lab, Dominic was helping Chief Scientist Anyas pack some alien granite back into a storage container. When they came to weigh the sample, however, Anyas noticed that he was missing about half a kilogram compared to what was originally in the container. Unaware of Dominic's powers, which would have made the culprit obvious, he asked Dominic, "Mr. Zoshan, I think we missed a piece. Can you go look for it on the tables?".
Dominic clutched the stone dagger in his pocket.

-----

Over the course of the voyage, Russano had been reading various entries about the Van Buren Mining Company in order to get a better understanding of who he and his team were going up against. The most useful entries, by far, were courtesy of the Freelancer's Union, an organization dedicated to helping new faces find their way around space.
He also brushed up on his basic history. The Van Buren company was undeniably guilty of heinous crimes against humanity. Russano regretted that even a milenium of technological advancement beyond what humanity has ever before known failed to produce a society where every person had dignity. Even with space travel, resources beyond abundance, and plenty of worlds to grow and expand into, governments are still overtaken by corruption--or at least, that's what the government of Aldros II thinks about the Ross.
For the purposes of the mission, Russano also worked to perfect his newfound spell flux perception. Knowing where the others are by simply feeling it meant that he could coordinate with them moe easily. And since the Van Buren company was owned by rich shareholders, Russano was bound to run into an elite mercenary or two with psionic powers.

Three hours before the ship was due to reenter space, Russano was sitting in a chair reading about political unrest in the Centauri Empire. Across the room, Ryan happened to be sneaking into the shelves in order to return a book he had borrowed the other hour. He had been doing this for the latter half of the trip, sneaking into the library when the coast was clear and grabbing books about the Ross, border worlds, and currently a biography of Steven Cobalt he found that was published twelve years ago.
Ryan didn't expect Russano to be there and catch a glimpse of him.
"You could simply ask, there's no need to be secretive about it."
He quickly ran back to the shelves to return the book. Meanwhile, Russano recapped his studies: according to the Freelancer's Union, the primary workforce of the Van Buren company consists of poor inhabiants from border worlds mixed in with freelancers looking for quick work. The company's key interests are the asteroid belts in the Doradus system and neighboring stars, mining rare metals used in ship construction. They supply the Centauri government with these materials at reduced prices, so the Centauri government trusts them and will likely oppose anyone who aims to discredit the company.
The company's founder and president, Charles Van Buren, is a charismatic person who assimilated smaller businesses and unlawful groups to create a coalition of slave drivers, essentially. Their soldiers are a constant sight on all of their worlds and bases, working to maintain productivity near resource deposits and train for future encounters on mined out asteroids--now military bases. They do not use Centauri equipment. In fact, most of their bases are outside of the Centauri sphere of influence, avoiding inspections and the discovery of their general practices. They are still well-armed, but mostly due to their association with large pirate organizations.

Russano strategized for a moment. The location the Borealis was travelling to was an old, rich asteroid base on the cusp of Centauri territory. If the Centauri military could be alerted somehow and persuaded to search the building, they could provide the distraction needed to sneak through security and connect to the local database. On the other hand, the relative age of the base has resulted in diminished competetive and unlawful activity surrounding it, and thus its defenses could be weaker than usual. He called the navigator on his communicator.
"Geminus, I need you to keep an eye out for Centauri patrols. They could be useful. Avoid them, of course, but I want to see if they could be used as a tool to help us."
"Roger," he replied succinctly. Now Russano prepared to help ready the shuttle for take off and also check on the crewmen tasked to cover parts of the Borealis in stealth paint. The plan was to hide the vessel near another asteroid and send out the shuttle. The shuttle's transponder was already masked as a friendly pirate vessel and one of the Queen's agents in the corresponding pirate faction had arranged for a meeting with the local administrator. One of the party members--most likely Steven--would be tasked with pretending to be a high-ranking pirate leader named Azobos. The real Azobos was actually on a raid in a more remote system, but hiding this fact by detaining messengers was no issue. This mission had been planned out over a long period of time, Russano found.
As he began to put away the device, it shook in his hands.
"Captain Russano! The psion that attacked us, she's on the ship!" shouted Davis, through the speaker.

((EDIT: This... might be painful to look at. Be honest, is my writing tedious to read?))
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:17:12 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 29, 2013, 10:04:47 am »

(the writing was fine. Alot of it, but I'm happy with it. I certainly found it of interest, which is not usual for me :P. Don't know if it was intentional, but Davis' sheet doesn't include Silence yet)

'I'm not sure who convinced who to have her here...' Davis thought to himself, impressed with whichever one of these two actually convinced the other, if not both, for her to come along. Slight envy towards Steven may have crept into his thoughts, but then again, that's why he was ok using Steven as a test subject.

''You seem awfully quick to get over your lost fiance!'' Davis said to the woman after relaying his message, keeping his rifle trained. ''What's your purpose here?'' While asking, Davis went in to mind read to find her intentions, whilst also attempting to silence her, carefully. If he feels like it'd harm her, he'd stop trying to silence her.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 29, 2013, 05:11:18 pm »

See if I have any granite left over. If yes, create a hollow shell of granite that looks like half a kilogram, and fill it with water.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 03, 2013, 10:10:59 pm »

((Ah sorry for anything I might've held back. About my skills... can I add something to my technopath powers where I can try to upgrade machines to be even better? And then whatever skill points I have left go to upgrading my technopathic ability. If not... then everything goes to my technopathic powers. Anyways I really like the writing too. And I like that part about me sneaking books to try to learn what he can about himself but still being kinda distrustful of people.))

After returning the book, Ryan heads to the cafeteria to see if he could get himself one last snack before the voyage ends. With his amnesia, he's forgotten even what the taste of food was like. So other then researching his past and the world he lives in, he been trying out all diffent kinds of food the ship had to offer whenever he got hungry. So right now, he feeling a little bit hungry.

Head to the cafeteria and hope he can grab a snack to eat.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2013, 05:34:41 pm »

Bamp?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2013, 12:50:35 am »

((Sorry about taking so long.))

"Well, it may as well be the best moment for me to try my newly-developed awareness." was Russano's calm answer to Davis coming through the comms system, the Warlock waving his hand in a calming gesture as if the other man happened to be right in front of him. He was in fact surprised about how smoothly he had been able to focus on the detection system inside his brain and make it a more reliable tool. Back home such a tool would be largely unnecessary and so far makeshift scans had been providing him with fairly accurate data about psionic activity around him, but it was also expected someday he would need to have a more formal "radar" system.

Use Spell Flux to track the use of psionics across the ship, focusing on the area Davis is in.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 75