Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oh gee thanks DF  (Read 2325 times)

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh gee thanks DF
« on: January 22, 2013, 11:04:59 am »

I have been genning worlds to find a site that has a major river surrounded by extremely high cliffs.  I want to build a fort that's suspended over the river.

I FINALLY get one, and guess where my starting location is?  On the frozen river.  Which won't be frozen for long.

It would have been perfect too, the cliffs are straight up 11 z levels above the river, and there's a smaller waterfall.  But nooooo DF wants my Dwarves to die within a few minutes.

Back to genning worlds!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh gee thanks DF
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 11:30:44 am »

Can't you just walk off the river?
[Signature]

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:32:01 am »

Shhh.  Let evolution happen.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 11:33:54 am »

No, the whole river was surrounded by sheer cliffs.

By the time I managed to dig a small hole in the side, everything unfroze and only my 2 miners survived.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:36:59 am »

Just so you know, you can always turn off temperature temporarily in the init file.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:37:14 am »

See, thats not a disaster. That's an opportunity.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:39:19 am »

With two dwarves, one digs a farm while the other builds a still and digs to the surface to collect brewables. You should have no problems surviving until your first migrant wave ... as long as its not a zombie infested hell hole. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 11:45:40 am »

Actually, I tried again on a 2nd site, same situation.  Huge major river, embarked right on the ice as it's frozen in the winter, had a very small time limit to save my Dwarves.  This time I brought a ton of extra metal bars with me (cause why not) and I managed to dig a hole, build a platform out back to the wagon, deconstruct it, and place a floor under it, and RIGHT after I finish the floor, the river unfreezes and one of my miners goes swimming.

He's ok though.

Here's a screen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 11:52:44 am »

You can pick the wagon apart and then designate all the stuff inside for dumping and use autodump in dfhack where you want it. Kind of cheating I guess, but really embarking on top of a frozen river cannot be intended behavior.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:54:03 am »

I've seen reports that if your embark covers multiple biomes, highlighting one during embark (using F1/F2/F3/etc.) will cause the wagon to appear in that one. Independent confirmation of this would be highly recommended, of course.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:08 pm »

I've seen reports that if your embark covers multiple biomes, highlighting one during embark (using F1/F2/F3/etc.) will cause the wagon to appear in that one. Independent confirmation of this would be highly recommended, of course.

Thats very interesting. I havent tested but it hasnt seemed to be the case for me. In my experience its more like the dwarves embark at random somewhere in the middle of the embark screen for me.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:54 pm »

Should have caulked the wagon and floated it down river.  Haven't you ever played Oregon Trail?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 01:35:11 pm »

Should have caulked the wagon and floated it down river.  Haven't you ever played Oregon Trail?

You gotta FORD THAT SHIT.

You've obviously never played either.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 01:54:20 pm »

Not true, the embark site appears to be random.

I've had two different embarks at the exact same location, one of them appeared on a flat spot and the other appeared on the side of a slope, killing the wagon and robbing me of my 3 free wood. The only difference in these two embarks was how many plump helmets I took with me.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 02:33:14 pm »

Not true, the embark site appears to be random.

I've had two different embarks at the exact same location, one of them appeared on a flat spot and the other appeared on the side of a slope, killing the wagon and robbing me of my 3 free wood. The only difference in these two embarks was how many plump helmets I took with me.

You might want to take that up with i2amroy and GhostDwemer - after a bit of searching, it was in this thread that they made that claim.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2