Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chances to get vampire migrants  (Read 1526 times)

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chances to get vampire migrants
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:14:27 am »

I was wondering if turning off invaders affects the chance to get vampire migrants because out of 250 migrated dwarves non were vampires. Also turned off child production to make sure I get lots of adult migrants.

I had one fort with 150 dwarves and 1 of them turned out to be a vampire but I lost the game because DF crashed and I didn't have autosave on  :'(
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chances to get vampire migrants
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:26:28 am »

This is just a shot in the dark, since I've just started (on my first fortress), but I think that the chance of getting a vampire immigrant is fairly random. Out of my ~220 dwarves (that includes dead ones) I've only had one vampire (that I know of, and since I had that one I've been scanning every incoming immigrant for signs of vampirism).

That is with invaders on, so judging by my situation I wouldn't say that invaders on/off affects the chances of getting a vampire.
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:35:21 am »

arguably I didn't started that many forts since DF2012 (maybe 4 or 5), but I don't think I've ever had a single vampire in my forts.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:13:45 am »

This probably has a lot to do with world genning habits;  People that tend to play their worlds while the first generation is still alive (getting "one of the firsts of their kind" migrants) probably won't get many vampires just because nobody's had much time to become one, right?

I do short gens and I've only gotten one vampire since vampires started vampiring.

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:27:42 am »

Back before the decrease in vamp spawns I got about 3-4 per fort, and my pop cap never went above 100.  Now though, I rarely ever get one.  I used to screen every single immigrant using my thirsty sqd technique, but now I just let everyone in without fear.
The invaders setting shouldn't have any affect on it, since they are considered friendly.  I think you have gotten so few because they're getting kinda rare now from what I've seen.
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:38:21 am »

Out of a few hundred immigrants, I've not seen a vampire in.34.11 at all.  This leads me to believe that they truly are very rare now, which is absolutely fine with me.

That's playing in a world of about 140 years of age.  World age probably does have a lot of effect on it, but the specifics I'm not sure of.  Older worlds probably do have more.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:32:53 am »

Increasing number of curses in worldgen results in more vampires, just as number of secrets in more necromancers.
But with default settings, in my 4 forts that I started I had

- 2 vampires out of 160+
- 1 out of 120+
- 3 out of 220
- Currently I have 1 out of 80 total

So on average 1 vampire per ~75 dwarves for me.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:27:52 pm »

I feel like vampires are relatively rare. I've had 5 or so forts since vampires were introduced but only one ever got a vampire.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

fungee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 06:33:15 am »

Increasing number of curses in worldgen results in more vampires, just as number of secrets in more necromancers.
But with default settings, in my 4 forts that I started I had

Out of 500 migrants 0 vampires so far  :'(

Guess I'll have to increase the number of curses and gen a new world...
It's easy being an experimentalist. If you fail try again.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 01:02:07 pm »

Out of a few hundred immigrants, I've not seen a vampire in.34.11 at all.  This leads me to believe that they truly are very rare now, which is absolutely fine with me.

That's playing in a world of about 140 years of age.  World age probably does have a lot of effect on it, but the specifics I'm not sure of.  Older worlds probably do have more.
Older worlds do have a large effect. World age is the parameter with the largest effect on the amount of vampires, werebeasts, and necromancers in the world, and older worlds will have many more the younger ones.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 04:01:21 pm »

I think I've had maybe one fort since 0.34.11 which didn't get a vampire or two before hitting the pop cap (usually set between 100 and 150). All my worlds are at least 250 years old. I usually use the basic world gen and set the number of beasts to 'very high.' Could that have some effect?