Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36

Author Topic: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry  (Read 71217 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry
« Reply #270 on: January 26, 2013, 10:08:01 pm »

Nah, EVE scams are amusing.

Like the story of the guy who infiltrated a rival group and got to, like, third in command, then at a specified time stole all of their money and undocked all of their ships. All of them.

Don't play EVE, but these are always a blast to read anyway.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 27, 2013, 12:53:07 am »

I don't think playing a game that you hate is part of being a good friend. Trying a game that you think you'll hate can be, but I don't think it makes you a dick if you don't do something you can't stand to do. In fact, I'd say it'd make your friends dicks if they expected you to do something you hate just because they do it. Being a good friend is not about spending as much time with your friends as possible, it's about being considerate of their desires, and if they're expecting you to do something that you hate, that's not being very considerate at all. As long as you're not berating the game and them for playing it I don't see why you'd be expected to play something you have nothing but distaste for.

It's different with your wife. But in that situation I would just talk with her, let her know how much I dislike the game and try to get her to do something else some nights. Marriage isn't about one-way concessions, and if you really can't stand the game ideally should would understand and forgive you for it.

It's really not as simple as that.  At all.  I have 2 family members, 1 really good friend (a career partner even), and a few other friends who regularly play LoL.  They all gripe about the game, but continue to play it for social reasons.  My wife plays it because 3d games give her motion sickness, and she mainly plays games to be social.  LoL is one of very few multiplayer games that doesn't give her motion sickness and has a large player base.  She's built up a huge network of friends in the game.  My brother and good friend are both sick of the game, but have a lot of friends that play. 

Everyone knows what I think about the game and doesn't expect me to play it.  Nobody forces me.  I've quit for 6 month stretches on two different occasions.  Each time, I returned because I wanted to be involved with my friends and family.  I saw them playing it every night, and the pull of that is just irresistible.

And like I said, I've convinced large chunks of that social group to switch over to other games.  We've done months long stretches on Terraria and Torchlight, and some of those people didn't care for those games and just wanted to be a part of the group, so they were compromising too.  But my social circle is not a closed system.  I'm a single intersection in a massive spiderweb.  I have little influence over my friend's friend's friends who are all still playing LoL.  People are going to go back to that game consistently to spend time with the people I'm less connected with, and because LoL is larger, its pull will remain more consistent in the long run.  Interest in other games will die out over time, and everyone will go back to LoL... and I will eventually, too.  The game is basically a very large commons area.  This is Network Effect.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me in any way, but... Because sometimes that complaining is destructive. If you're complaint is that the gaming industry is dead because of x game not only do I think you're wrong, but I think your ideas are detrimental to the medium as a whole, and I have a right to say so.

It wasn't directed specifically at you, but at a few people who have been in here basically just to say "this topic shouldn't exist" and led to all the crap about entitlement and stuff.

I also forgot to say that I don't think the gaming industry is dead or dying.  I actually think there are a lot of great games out there.  I'm not running out of stuff to do anytime soon.  But I also think there are a lot of predatory business practices in the industry that deserve some condemnation (and trends that can get a whole lot worse), and the solution is not as simple as voting with your wallet. 

You can avoid the culture around you. It's possible and while I'm not gonna lie and say I'm a paragon of discipline and morality because of it (because I'm absolutely not) I've been doing it for about as long as I remember. It's just not possible to avoid the culture and then participate in it, you can't have it both ways. Either you don't watch movies/play games/read books you don't like and therefore are unable to discuss them, or you do and you are. It's a choice, and if you don't think alienating yourself from the mainstream is worth it (and I can understand why not) that's fine, but the option is still there regardless.

Sure.  And I very often choose to be left out.  But I'm about 80% introvert.  I'm guessing you're much the same.  We're in the minority.  Social inclusion is much more important to most people, and they're going to do whatever is necessary.  The point of this is that just because something is popular doesn't mean that a lot of people like it.  Most often I think it means that there was some luck in filling a temporary void of appeal to a certain group that also happened to be capable of socially pulling in a large range of tangentially related groups with much less interest.

Have you ever spent an hour trying to get a game to work on PC? I already have this year (Crysis). How about on console? I have once (Saints Row) and I've owned a lot of consoles. Consoles exist because console games just work. It's the same philosophy that's behind Apple products. I agree that the line is blurring between PC and console in a bad way, but it's not like consoles don't have their place.

The only time I've ever had that much trouble was when messing around with mods.  I'd also counter that while initial setup on PC is often more complicated, the convenience vs console increases immensely after that initial set-up.  With a console, you have to hunt down your disc, change the source on your tv, wait 2-3 minutes through those damn logo splash screens that are unskippable on console, and possibly even more things before you can get into your game, and there's nothing you can do to improve that.  On PC, after initial set-up, all you do is click an icon.  I can be past the splash and menu screens and in the process of playing any game in my PC library within literally 10 seconds of deciding that's what I'm going to do.

I think enjoying a game for 10-15 hours is worth the money the game cost, especially if the price had gone down by the time you bought it. And sometimes you are going to buy things that end up disappointing you. It happens. If you care particularly about it you can do all kinds of research, up to and including pirating the game, but unless you're playing the pirated copy for 10 hours then I don't think you'll get rid of the experience, just mitigate it. Personally I don't mind so much about buying something I won't like, maybe because I have unreasonably high standards, and that nonchalance has led me to enjoy games I might otherwise not have, if I pirated everything first. Sometimes I'll buy a game and not like it. But I'll keep playing for a few hours because hey, I paid for it so I should at least give it a chance. And occasionally after the first few hours my feelings will change or the game itself will even improve. It works both ways and both options have their ups and downs. Either way you're not going to completely eradicate purchases that you're going to be disappointed in, though. And I really think 10-15 hours is sufficient for a game. I paid probably $30 for Fallout 3 and I don't think I got much more enjoyment out of it. It's an ok game, but I'm not sad I bought it.

I think this one just comes down to personal opinion.  I have very limited free time and entertainment budget that I can spend exclusively on myself.  I've also developed really high standards regarding price value.  I very rarely pay more than $15 for a game anymore.  I put research into anything over $5.  I look at a lot of DLC or P2W stuff these days and think "why would I pay the price of a full game for a single item?!"

Actually yes. That's what made me read that goddamn contract in first place. And I don't acess my steam account in like 8 months, because of that event. I mostly pirated games, and after I had problems with steam I now ONLY play pirated games.
Ok, so what was your problem? Did you ever contact Steam support? You can say that you shouldn't have to, but services are gonna have problems sometimes, and while it can be annoying to have to contact support, it's a completely different problem from them locking you out of your account. So did you even try to get the problem resolved or did you just default into a position that enjoys the benefits of an industry without actually contributing to it?

And what about indie games? Please tell me you are not pirating indie games. And if you are, please tell me you are at least donating to the creators.

I love Steam.  It's never done me wrong.  Like Gabe says, it really is a service problem.  It is easier to download a game when it's on sale for 75% off on Steam than it is to pirate it and worry about malware, legal trouble, and confusing processes.  The service is fantastic.

The other great thing about Steam is how it's enabled indie developers access to a legitimate commercial mass distribution channel.

But if Steam ever fell from grace, I would probably resort to pirating most of my games, except indie games.  Fqllve is absolutely right about small-time and counter-culture developers being in much greater need of support.  I'm trying to get involved in game development right now while holding down an emotionally draining full-time job and raising a family.  It's fucking rough.

And I do like the indie scene more than mainstream stuff, but that's not because I think being indie makes the developers morally superior, though I think some of them really are.  I'm interested in games as an art form, and indie games are far more likely to present themselves as art, where mainstream stuff is more likely to present itself as social scene or generic time waster.

Eve

From all the stories I hear about it, Eve is actually the only current major MMO that engages the potential of the genre.  I've seriously thought about getting into it myself, but I just haven't been in a position to be involved in an MMO the last few years.  The only other exception, I guess, would be Second Life... but that's kind of a weird one.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2013, 01:45:35 am »

I don't think playing a game that you hate is part of being a good friend. Trying a game that you think you'll hate can be, but I don't think it makes you a dick if you don't do something you can't stand to do. In fact, I'd say it'd make your friends dicks if they expected you to do something you hate just because they do it. Being a good friend is not about spending as much time with your friends as possible, it's about being considerate of their desires, and if they're expecting you to do something that you hate, that's not being very considerate at all. As long as you're not berating the game and them for playing it I don't see why you'd be expected to play something you have nothing but distaste for.

It's different with your wife. But in that situation I would just talk with her, let her know how much I dislike the game and try to get her to do something else some nights. Marriage isn't about one-way concessions, and if you really can't stand the game ideally should would understand and forgive you for it.

It's really not as simple as that.  At all.  I have 2 family members, 1 really good friend (a career partner even), and a few other friends who regularly play LoL.  They all gripe about the game, but continue to play it for social reasons.  My wife plays it because 3d games give her motion sickness, and she mainly plays games to be social.  LoL is one of very few multiplayer games that doesn't give her motion sickness and has a large player base.  She's built up a huge network of friends in the game.  My brother and good friend are both sick of the game, but have a lot of friends that play. 

I actually find boring games much more fun with friends. That's why I play them. I play CoD:MW 2 with my friends even if I would never play it alone. It's really fun to play a game together with close friends even if you don't really like the game.

For example, me and my friends (4 people) visited an internet cafe pretty much every day after school. We usually played Left 4 Dead on LAN. I never played that game more than an hour in my house but it's really fun with your friends especially if you are playing on LAN. With all of your friends going like "Stop shooting me idiot!" and "You stole my kits didn't you?" or "HUNTER! SHIT! SAVE ME YOU SELFISH BASTARDS!" game becomes really funny. Especially when all of you are physically in the same place, even though that only meant slapping and shouting at the guy who leaves you to die and steals your kit. Sometimes we would leave someone to die for the lulz. Fun doubles if I can find 7 people from the school to play the versus mode. Ah, good times.

One time, we got really sick of playing the game. We played a custom map and disabled zombies. All for of us scattered along the map and we fought to the death. It became something we would always do after that. Setting traps, teaming up with someone else to betray him later, etc. Even if it's a game you don't like, it can be fun.

That kind of different ways of playing happened in CoD: MW too. Like, RPGs only. One time, my friend pushed my arm while we were playing and I accidentally killed someone by headshotting them with an RPG.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2013, 01:55:36 am »

Oh, sure.  Doesn't mean that good games with friends aren't even better, though :P

And competitive games are more difficult to goof around and have fun with... but competitive gaming is another thing I could go on a big rant about.  Not that I have a problem with competitive gaming itself, but I don't like the way they're influencing game balance decisions to be more frustration than fun.

L4D is kind of an outlier in many regards.  It's the best coop game I've ever played.  There aren't many coop games, and even fewer where it's well-designed to encourage interaction beyond playing the same game in parallel.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:41:08 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #274 on: January 27, 2013, 02:31:15 am »

Everyone knows what I think about the game and doesn't expect me to play it.  Nobody forces me.  I've quit for 6 month stretches on two different occasions.  Each time, I returned because I wanted to be involved with my friends and family.  I saw them playing it every night, and the pull of that is just irresistible.
Makes me glad I don't have many gamer friends. You're right though, that is a very complicated situation.

I also forgot to say that I don't think the gaming industry is dead or dying.  I actually think there are a lot of great games out there.  I'm not running out of stuff to do anytime soon.  But I also think there are a lot of predatory business practices in the industry that deserve some condemnation (and trends that can get a whole lot worse), and the solution is not as simple as voting with your wallet.
Yeah, I didn't think you were, I had just earlier criticized someone for making a complaint like that and figured I might as well defend it. I agree though, there are some really unsavory business practices in the industry and educated purchasing isn't going to solve it on its own, but I think it and condemnation of those practices will go a long way.

The point of this is that just because something is popular doesn't mean that a lot of people like it.  Most often I think it means that there was some luck in filling a temporary void of appeal to a certain group that also happened to be capable of socially pulling in a large range of tangentially related groups with much less interest.
I'd argue that's a draw and is close enough to liking something for all intents and purposes. I'd also bet that there aren't all that many people playing games they hate for those reasons. Could be a lot of people playing games they are lukewarm about, but I think you might just be unlucky in that regard. And some of those people might actually like the game only for the multiplayer.

The only time I've ever had that much trouble was when messing around with mods.  I'd also counter that while initial setup on PC is often more complicated, the convenience vs console increases immensely after that initial set-up.  With a console, you have to hunt down your disc, change the source on your tv, wait 2-3 minutes through those damn logo splash screens that are unskippable on console, and possibly even more things before you can get into your game, and there's nothing you can do to improve that.  On PC, after initial set-up, all you do is click an icon.  I can be past the splash and menu screens and in the process of playing any game in my PC library within literally 10 seconds of deciding that's what I'm going to do.
Well, with Crysis it was a bug with AMD64 processors and all told it took probably more than an hour to reinstall, then search for a solution to the problem and implement it. Generally if I'm gonna have problems it's with older games, or with specific hardware. For example, and I'm not sure if the problem is fixed now, try running KOTOR on an integrated chipset. It's getting less common, but it happens, and it happens more often than on consoles.

Also, I'd bet a lot of the hunting down discs has to do with your having children. :p Very rarely a problem with me, neither is changing the input. And while the startup may be a hassle, it's really no longer that starting up a PC and is oftentimes quicker, you're just more likely to have your PC already on. And it's worth mentioning that part of the convenience of consoles is that you don't have to worry about hardware. It's a problem when console games are ported to PC, but if you only play on a console you know that the investment is going to be functional longer than the equivalent in a PC. There are a lot of downsides, in my opinion particularly framerates, but consoles are a clear winner in ease-of-use.

I think this one just comes down to personal opinion.  I have very limited free time and entertainment budget that I can spend exclusively on myself.  I've also developed really high standards regarding price value.  I very rarely pay more than $15 for a game anymore.  I put research into anything over $5.  I look at a lot of DLC or P2W stuff these days and think "why would I pay the price of a full game for a single item?!"
Yeah I usually won't pay more than $20 myself. It is personal preference though, and like I said, I have ridiculously high standards, so if I felt disappointed in every game I bought but didn't like I'd stop playing games. Few games can hold my interest for more than ten hours.

And I do like the indie scene more than mainstream stuff, but that's not because I think being indie makes the developers morally superior, though I think some of them really are.  I'm interested in games as an art form, and indie games are far more likely to present themselves as art, where mainstream stuff is more likely to present itself as social scene or generic time waster.
I probably like more indie games than mainstream, but I don't really prefer one over the other. I think in a lot of ways the mainstream does its own work to further artistry, particularly in the storytelling department, and I think sometimes indie games emphasize artistry without really understanding what art really means. For example, I didn't really like Braid primarily because it tried too hard to be artistic. And I didn't seem to enjoy Bastion as much as everyone else (although I did like it) because it focused too much on presentation at the expense of gameplay. Whereas I think Shadow of the Colossus and Half-Life 2 not only did a lot to advance games as an artistic medium, but also had flawless design and were fun as hell to play.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 27, 2013, 02:54:22 am »

I had a huge argument posted here, but I think this article will probably answer every complaint, question, and bitchfest in this thread better than I ever could. Please read the whole thing.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:58:07 am by Aerie »
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 27, 2013, 03:00:16 am »

-snip-

No disagreements here.  I do agree that consoles are more convenient for people who aren't very computer literate or just don't use one often.  That's a significant demographic, but also a shrinking one.

I had a huge argument posted here, but I think this article will probably answer every complaint, question, and bitchfest in this thread better than I ever could. Please read the whole thing.

That article is quite a shallow strawman, which has been mostly dealt with already in this thread.

The worst part is how when anybody posts a negative opinion on the internet, there are always those who assume the intention is something like this.

When it's more likely intended to be something like this.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:20:37 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 27, 2013, 03:31:31 am »

That article is quite a shallow strawman, which has been mostly dealt with already in this thread.

Just because it exaggerates doesn't make it any less true
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 27, 2013, 03:42:32 am »

You could try verifying my statement (that the accusations in your article have already been addressed in this thread) before labeling it like that.

And while on the topic of fallacies, exaggerating the opposing view to make your own look more reasonable by comparison isn't good form, either.  It may be humorous to a casual observer, and this is why cracked is popular.  But this is also why using that website to make a point in a discussion like this is generally frowned upon.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:50:06 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #279 on: January 27, 2013, 04:04:37 am »

It's also harder to argue against a rather loosely structured humor article than it is against a post.

I do think you exaggerated in the opposite direction too though, SalmonGod. A lot of complaints on the internet rely so much on hyperbole it's hard to take them as a serious examination of the problems they're discussing, or seriously in general. Plus so often criticism, especially of games, is reduced to a few buzzwords and phrases rather than actually trying to figure out what motivates people to design the games that way and what their real strengths and weaknesses are, particularly in relation to the game they're actually appearing in. And just because it's intended to come across as one way doesn't mean the person was at all successful in that goal.

Definitely would have preferred a post to a Cracked link, though.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2013, 04:42:34 am »

Just because it exaggerates doesn't make it any less true

No, but it does become less relevant when some of the points outright do not apply. Applying this to "every complaint, question, and bitchfest in this thread" is complete rubbish. It's a straw man. Doesn't mean the points it makes are not valid, just that not everyone is doing what that article has them doing.

Plus the Argument from fallacy; "since it contains a fallacy, its conclusion must be false" which was never implied by SalmonGod's post (otherwise he would be saying no one is like that, or something along the lines of that).
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2013, 09:58:26 am »

There's a lot to agree with in this thread, and a lot to disagree with.

Going to a specific thread on a forum to complain about people's complaints is rather silly.  People have every right to complain, some complaints can be silly, but that's the point of discussion.  In the end, I think people come away with a better idea of what they and others consider to be wrong with what's going on in the game industry.  That cracked article was kind of funny, but it really didn't have much to do with this discussion...

When people talk about voting with your wallet, you have to realize you only get to vote for yourself.  Just because you consider yourself to be more educated than the "idiots and 12 year olds" that play the popular games doesn't mean you count more.  The complaint that everything isn't custom tailored for you isn't valid.  I think most games are crap.  So I don't buy them.  Just because I'm the most important person to myself doesn't mean I expect to be the most important person to everyone else. People who make games for a living are doing it to make money.  There's more money to be made off the majority than the minority.  That's just how it goes.  As part of a smaller group, you'll find fewer offerings.  But even still, there are good games out there for almost everyone.  Make yourself known as a part of a niche market, and if there's enough money to be made, someone will come along and try to get it.

Comparing yourself to a 'freedom fighter' or a 'protestor' for stealing games just shows how infantile your mentality is.  You can tell yourself you're doing it for the greater good, but the fact is you're doing it out of selfishness.  Just because something exists doesn't mean you're entitled to it.  The people making games for EA aren't slaves, they choose to work for EA.  If you disagree with that, fine, don't buy EA games.  Just because you disagree with that choice doesn't mean you're entitled to the results of their work.  If everyone pirated every game they played, there would be a lot less games available. 

Psyckosama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2013, 06:11:51 pm »

I know. I'll never forgive them for screwing this up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJU4iA4TWIs

IT would have been the Mechwarrior game of my DREAMS... and they turned it into an allegedly free MMORPG.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2013, 06:47:29 pm »

IT would have been the Mechwarrior game of my DREAMS... and they turned it into an allegedly free MMORPG.

My bro was saddened by that as well.

I was more interested in Hawken myself, but it also went the way of microtransactions.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2013, 06:56:06 pm »

Just because you consider yourself to be more educated than the "idiots and 12 year olds" that play the popular games doesn't mean you count more.

I actually think that voting with your wallet means the exact opposite:
it doesn't means to vote against mass market games. It means to support the games and studio that interest you.

In this 'vote' it doesn't win who gets the majority of the 'votes', only who has enough to get to the end of the month and turn in a profit.

The COD market is a very valid one even if I don't like COD in general. It doesn't mean I am up in arm against them, I just don't buy them. Difference is that I am fine with people purchasing and enjoying COD. Their money, their choice.

Doesn't change anything to me and the existence or non existence of shallow games doesn't impact in any way my gaming experience, because there always is an alternative and there always will be, as long as me and people like me will support the market for complex games.

Why complain that they don't make any new game like xcom or mom? Just play with them! That is not being interested in complex games, is just being snotty about the present.

I don't go around complaining that they don't do more painting like impressionists did. I just don't go to modern art expositions. Should I open a thread about all modern painting being shallow and boring and moaning about modern painters whom don't produce enough Flemish-like pictures? Doesn't that sound silly to you?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36