Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36

Author Topic: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry  (Read 71261 times)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Rampant Monetization in the Gaming Industry
« Reply #165 on: January 23, 2013, 06:30:08 pm »

totally expect "impossible space marine space total war 20121: tales of sonic"

If Total War is in the title because Creative Assembly (or whoever makes the Total War series) worked on it; I'll buy it. Those games are actually amazing.  :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 23, 2013, 07:41:39 pm »

You say that like Sonic the Space Marine Hedgehog would be a bad thing. Baron Robotnik of the Iron Hands, anyone?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 23, 2013, 08:20:01 pm »

Vote with your wallet.  You're standing in front of a machine that understands no language except money, and you're giving it money while telling it to charge less money.  It only recognizes one of those two gestures, can you guess which one?  You can't have your cake and eat it too, which is a silly expression I know but humorously reconfiguring it is too much work.

Honestly, maybe you're right and you're not being entitled in the sense I'm thinking of it.  It doesn't matter a whole lot though, because the fact remains that unless you're abstaining from games that don't fuck with the customer, you're never going to get anywhere and are actually encouraging the bad behavior.

Cthulhu has really made the best point on this thread. Video games, like every single other item consumed by people in the entire world, is wholly dependent on you demanding it. As long as you are willing to pay the people you say you hate, nothing is going to change.

I am a very vocal critic of greedy developers.  But I want to say this - we are in a fortunate time for video gaming. One where we can get fantastic, extremely high budget games for $60 - I mean, I remember Final Fantasy 3 for SNES (Actually "FFVI") being $79.99 in the mid 90s - that's nearly $115 in today's dollars. 

I will continue to buy high budget games from the big, much maligned "greedy" developers because in many cases, they are actually worth it. I have had more play from Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 2 than Braid, World of Goo, Terraria, and Space Chem put together (I purchased all these games at full price, not from bundles)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 23, 2013, 08:26:50 pm »

Indie games were virtually nonexistant not all that long ago

The fact you didn't know about indie from the past doesn't make them nonexistant.

I never said they were nonexistant.

I never considered having slightly advantage-giving items in a store P2W, mainly because its not really paying to win, moreso paying-to-gain-a-very-slight-advantage-that-is-useless-if-you-have-no-skill-anyway. That being said cosmetic purchases are more preffered.

(completely unrelated)
I don't like the word "consumer". It makes me sound like a unit of money.

I am a very vocal critic of greedy developers.  But I want to say this - we are in a fortunate time for video gaming. One where we can get fantastic, extremely high budget games for $60 - I mean, I remember Final Fantasy 3 for SNES (Actually "FFVI") being $79.99 in the mid 90s - that's nearly $115 in today's dollars. 

You obviously dont live in Australia...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 23, 2013, 10:54:31 pm »

I reject the notion that all we are good for is consuming things.  We are not cattle, chained to a trough on one end and the loo on the other.

Respecting the player is what this thread's starting topic is really about, in essence.  Game design that coerces people to spend more on trivial things in the middle of the experience ( *_especially_* after already paying US$60/€45(?)/AUS$100 for the box ) is a shitty way to treat the people that give you money.
Apparently, there are a large number of people who don't feel disrespected by that sort of choice on the part of a company.

This is why I have spent precious few dollars on games in the last 12 years, and the majority of them went to CCP for running a 2-toon solo team for a year, or Asymmetric (KoL) for Mr. Accessories, or GoG for tasty classics on sale.  EA hasn't seen a dime from me since 1999, when I got Dungeon Keeper 2, and likely never will again.  EA will crash and burn before their culture changes to something I would support.
It's a good thing those Mr. Accessories weren't trivial things in the middle of your gaming experience.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 23, 2013, 11:36:50 pm »

It's a good thing those Mr. Accessories weren't trivial things in the middle of your gaming experience.

That's not even a retort... do you even know how KoL works?  You can get just about anything that exists in KoL by in-game effort alone, someway somehow.  I was enjoying the game, so I spent money to support the devs, who are doin' it right by my measure.  Then I used the Mr. As to get nice things.  Donating to get what amounts to a ten dollar coin in a turn based web RPG isn't even remotely close to leaning on FPS players to pay for reloads in the middle of a timed firefight, or crafting supplies in Dead Space which you may or may not get an adequate quantity through play alone.  Beyond apples and oranges, more like apples and squid.

I truly hope that it all blows up in EA's face; when some of the hardcore FPS folks do the math and realize they could've bought multiple new releases for what EA extorted from them for ammo, the shitstorm will be *_amazing_* to watch.  I'm gonna start buying stock in Jiffy Pop now.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2013, 02:33:32 am »

The whole idea that if something works in the marketplace then it's fine and shouldn't be complained about worries me. Some companies are using what I consider to be underhand and exploitative methods to extract cash from people. Mostly I'm thinking of things with skinner box mechanics and the like.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2013, 02:59:44 am »

I don't see why people complain about DLC and high prices, software is free. If you don't like a company's business model there's nothing stopping you from torrenting it or something. That's really the only option, the whole "pay money for incomplete games then buy the rest later" model is trending.

Of course, if you're a white knight or believe torrent clients will sell your IP address to the FBI you kinda have a problem.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:15 am »

Part of the complaints are to do with the unfair behaviour of some the companies, not really the product itself.

I dont want to be a "white knight", but I dont think torrenting games is a particularly good solution (but it is an ironic one) to dealing with unethical behaviour in the gaming industry.

Lets not forget that a significant quantity of the complaints (such as P2W) are particularly directed towards MMO's and similar multiplayer-only-games, or single-player games with an online requirement, undermining the ability to do even that.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:15 am »

CA got the WARHAMMER IP not the WARHAMMER 40k. Anyway, they make some pretty damn good games. But I was pretty disapointed with shogun DLC wars and Rome 2 Total brown and bloom war. I'm not even entering on empire total war here. I am more worried about the other IPs relic had, like
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2013, 07:02:54 am »

Wasn't homeworld alteady dead?

But I do share your concern about the CoH fate.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2013, 07:04:25 am »

CoH2 is only a few months away from release, not much they could do with that
Magma is overrated.

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2013, 07:11:13 am »

...Many things, MANY things

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 24, 2013, 07:18:20 am »

Didn't you see what they did with Spore? My dear Spore?!!? They removed like half the game in the FINAL (YEAH THAT'S RIGTH FINAL FUCKING STAGE) TESTING stage.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 24, 2013, 09:23:06 am »

Someone mentioned KoL?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36