Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 72

Author Topic: You are a new God OOC thread.  (Read 108088 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God OOC thread.
« Reply #810 on: January 31, 2013, 06:53:25 pm »

You might be able to break apart large molecules if you're careful.  Splitting one atom with another doesn't really work.  At best we'd fuse them and make an H-bomb.  At worst we just wasted a bunch of energy fusing iron together.  The reason nuclear fission works is because the atoms are 1) very unstable 2)free neutrons do the splitting 3) You've got a critical mass of it lumped together so that the chain reaction can occur 4) Without said chain reaction we won't be doing any atom splitting, at least not without an enormous investment in energy on our behalf for very little gain, especially if we're after certain elements.  Seriously, it would be much cheaper to just buy the shit.
I have a sneaking suspicion you have just led to the creation of the medieval H bomb.
I suppose that is an acceptable waste of our power.
BRING ON THE HEAT!
We don't have any fissionable material and don't know if we can manipulate atoms anyway.
We can manipulate heat, and atoms fuse at high enough temperatures. And fusion (it's not fission) typically uses hydrogen, the most abundant element ever.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 31, 2013, 06:56:37 pm »

Just curious, what would the benefit be of making a "slave" or "worker" race when we already have stems?  Also we don't just have a bug theme we also have a plant theme.  I actually prefer the plant theme.  A white tree against a black background might even make a good flag/banner if we want one.
I'm unsure if Stems have much in the way of personal initiative. That, and without souls they're better off fighting abroad than working as laborers in our holdings. But if they're smart enough to do these tasks, why not set aside a bunch of them for the job?

Also, GWG: Dogs are considered property under the law. And were, in fact, 'made'(in a manner of speech) to be subservient to humans. Is that so wrong?
I'm not saying we allow our people to mistreat and murder them willy-nilly(would you murder your dog(if you had one)?), but we would do well with a race of workers to tend to menial tasks.
Hell, if we can build them to have no attachment to family members, and love working, it'd work out fine. In other words: is it wrong to force a robot to work if it's been programmed to love work?

Also, if we do go this way, it's worth noting our internal economy will tank due to free labor(Romans?). Especially if everyone has bugs working for them. That or we end up with an all-powerful aristocracy(like the South in ye olde days) controlling everything economically with their free labor.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 31, 2013, 07:05:39 pm »

You might be able to break apart large molecules if you're careful.  Splitting one atom with another doesn't really work.  At best we'd fuse them and make an H-bomb.  At worst we just wasted a bunch of energy fusing iron together.  The reason nuclear fission works is because the atoms are 1) very unstable 2)free neutrons do the splitting 3) You've got a critical mass of it lumped together so that the chain reaction can occur 4) Without said chain reaction we won't be doing any atom splitting, at least not without an enormous investment in energy on our behalf for very little gain, especially if we're after certain elements.  Seriously, it would be much cheaper to just buy the shit.
I have a sneaking suspicion you have just led to the creation of the medieval H bomb.
I suppose that is an acceptable waste of our power.
BRING ON THE HEAT!
We don't have any fissionable material and don't know if we can manipulate atoms anyway.
We can manipulate heat, and atoms fuse at high enough temperatures. And fusion (it's not fission) typically uses hydrogen, the most abundant element ever.
Oh, we're doing fusion?
...Carry on in theory, but don't dare in practice.

Also, GWG: Dogs are considered property under the law. And were, in fact, 'made'(in a manner of speech) to be subservient to humans. Is that so wrong?
Considering that dogs are not sentient? Not so much as it would be for the troglodites. Also, we're not just enslaving a species under your proposal--we'd be creating a race for the sole purpose of enslavement.

I'm not saying we allow our people to mistreat and murder them willy-nilly(would you murder your dog(if you had one)?), but we would do well with a race of workers to tend to menial tasks.
Why on whatever planet this game is set on did you call them slaves if you didn't imagine using them anything like slaves?

Hell, if we can build them to have no attachment to family members, and love working, it'd work out fine. In other words: is it wrong to force a robot to work if it's been programmed to love work?
No, but it is wrong to program a fully sentient robot to love work.
"Of course whatever Dark wizard who created them in the first place was evil beyond compare, but that was no reason to deny the poor creatures the servitude they were bred to enjoy." --Harry
Potter, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
It would be wrong to force them to like working their hindquarters off and then exploiting them. Just giving them menial jobs is fine, but NOT if we force them into slavery with their psychology!

Also, if we do go this way, it's worth noting our internal economy will tank due to free labor(Romans?). Especially if everyone has bugs working for them. That or we end up with an all-powerful aristocracy(like the South in ye olde days) controlling everything economically with their free labor.
Oh geez.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 31, 2013, 07:11:21 pm »

Acually, natural fusion would be a good way to produce extreme heat, which could be very useful, and there's no fallout or anything.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 31, 2013, 07:20:19 pm »

Acually, natural fusion would be a good way to produce extreme heat, which could be very useful, and there's no fallout or anything.
How on Planet will we find a use for that much heat? Especially since we would need to generate a lot of heat to make the fusion start, plus a lot of hydrogen.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 31, 2013, 07:22:32 pm »

How on Planet will we find a use for that much heat? Especially since we would need to generate a lot of heat to make the fusion start, plus a lot of hydrogen.
For one, it would give us a few thousand firejackets. It could also be useful for creating some sort of white hot fire elemental. And perhaps we could use the heat to generate mana somehow?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 31, 2013, 07:29:02 pm »

For one, it would give us a few thousand firejackets. It could also be useful for creating some sort of white hot fire elemental. And perhaps we could use the heat to generate mana somehow?
1. Surely there's less destructive methods to get firejackets?
2. AKA a Collateral Damage Elemental if we use it near anything flammable.
3. Maybe, but again, there has to be a less destructive and more efficient way to do so.
4. Where would we get all that hydrogen?
Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 31, 2013, 07:36:23 pm »

1. Surely there's less destructive methods to get firejackets?
2. AKA a Collateral Damage Elemental if we use it near anything flammable.
3. Maybe, but again, there has to be a less destructive and more efficient way to do so.
4. Where would we get all that hydrogen?
1. But less effective. And less !!FUN!!
2. Things on fire work better than things not on fire- Guild of Pyromaniacs
3. Not neccesarily, we would have to see.
4. It is literally everywhere. Hydrogen is a part of MH4, H20, and many other compounds, as well as being found in the atmosphere in small amounts.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #818 on: January 31, 2013, 07:41:03 pm »

And also in stars, which I'm sure we, as a god, could reach.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 31, 2013, 08:00:14 pm »

We could power our mana on the suns' natural fusion if we could get some sort of generator up there...
And so begins the DSP

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #820 on: January 31, 2013, 08:18:41 pm »

We could power our mana on the suns' natural fusion if we could get some sort of generator up there...
And so begins the DSP

We should just toss some firejackets into a sun. :)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 31, 2013, 08:28:13 pm »

And so begins the DSP

We should just toss some firejackets into a sun. :)
We would recieve enough firejackets to cover the entire planet.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 31, 2013, 09:16:20 pm »

If they didn't die on the way...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 31, 2013, 09:48:25 pm »

Assuming a speed of 20/mph, it would take the firejackets 1061 years round trip.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #824 on: January 31, 2013, 09:49:06 pm »

Assuming a speed of 20/mph, it would take the firejackets 1061 years round trip.

Assuming the sun is the same distance. But we could get them going faster than that.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 72