Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What year is Dwarf Fortress based on?  (Read 1554 times)

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
What year is Dwarf Fortress based on?
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:56:52 pm »

Applies to adventure mode aswell.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: What year is Dwarf Fortress based on?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:19:04 pm »

Do you mean in history? Believe it or not, there never was a time in Earth's history when dragons, elves, and dwarves roamed the land.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 02:42:02 pm »

Do you mean in history? Believe it or not, there never was a time in Earth's history when dragons, elves, and dwarves roamed the land.

Everything ive ever in believed is a lie!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 02:43:46 pm »

I suppose he's asking for a 'timeframe'.
I'd say medieval.
There are nobles, kings, eventually treaties...
so medieval.
With a high dose of blood, gore and FUN.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 02:49:48 pm »

It depends on which race you look at. The elves are in between straw huts and medieval, the humans are around medieval, and the dwarves are just a little before the industrial revolution.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:34:12 pm »

The dwarves have not yet invented gunpowder.  The use of cannons in mainland europe is recorded as early as the 13th century, or a hundred years later in the british isles.  The dwarves DO have steel, and make it using Pig Iron in steps reminiscent of the modern Bessemer Process... but steel was known, at least in some ways, in the antiquity of Europe, even by the Roman Empire, so while the exact steel process they use is more modern, access to steel does NOT put a definitive earliest year on DF.

Honestly, I'd look at the default end year of world gen: 1050.  It seems to be a decent approximation for the point in the middle ages where most of DF's tech could exist (no quantum entanglement mechanisms or the purely fantastical magma-powered industries).  For a well-studied historical event around that period, I suggest 1066 and the Norman conquest of Britain
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

kraflab

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:08:26 pm »

You guys have got it all wrong.  This does happen, but in the year 2111, which is when dwarf fortress is set.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 04:13:38 pm »

You guys have got it all wrong.  This does happen, but in the year 2111, which is when dwarf fortress is set.

What caused that and when?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 04:21:07 pm »

What caused that and when?

Toady finished Dwarf Fortress, and IT thought itself into reality. IT used the new upcoming 'three dimensional' printers to print ITSELF and the rest of the world to life.
That was how humanity perished.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 04:22:39 pm »

That was how humanity perished.

Some survived.  There are still humans in the game.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 04:31:25 pm »

Toady's official "cut-off date" is 1400, and there are references on the forums going as far back as 2009 as to that.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 02:02:34 am »

Toady's official "cut-off date" is 1400, and there are references on the forums going as far back as 2009 as to that.

Also, different universe (or rather many different ones), hence technology developed in a similar but not identical order.  Our universe figured out gunpowder first.  The DF universes figured out raising the dead as zombies first. 

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 02:19:02 am »

Originally The First Age around 4669* and onwards considering the game started off as a mines of moria simulator. Adamantine was almost called mithril but Toady was worried it might be a term that belonged to the Tolkien Estate.

* founding of Khazad-dûm.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 10:43:36 am »

Well, let's use humans as the deciding factor. They're pretty much molded after a european medieval baseline, with a feudalistic hierarchy. This puts it between the 9th and 15th century. Since cannonneering / guns have not been invented yet, it's before the 11th century.

The lack of steel in human civilization cannot really pinpoint the timeframe, as while the art of steelmaking is several thousand years old, it wasn't really untill the 17th century it became produced in significant ammounts, which is already far outside our frame. The lack of steel therefore could be interpreted as a sign of scarcity rather than non-existance.

So yea, between the 9th and 11th century.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 12:56:09 pm »

Also, different universe (or rather many different ones), hence technology developed in a similar but not identical order.  Our universe figured out gunpowder first.  The DF universes figured out raising the dead as zombies first.

Hey, we're working on it.