Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Terminus: real-time construction strategy game (earth is dead, good luck)  (Read 7247 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Terminus: real-time construction strategy game (earth is dead, good luck)
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 05:31:20 pm »

Donated 30 USD because this looks pretty sweet. Those perks were pretty well placed too, I found it hard to limit myself to the lower donations :P
I'm kind of worried that it won't reach the target goal though. It doesn't look like it'll reach the goal is donations don't increase. I hope that they will though. If I had a Facebook account (evil things though they are) I would share this. As it is I can probably try posting it on other places I visit?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 08:28:10 pm »

No time to read into this now, but the basic premise sounds interesting. PTW.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Harbour Games

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 08:36:33 pm »

Donated 30 USD because this looks pretty sweet. Those perks were pretty well placed too, I found it hard to limit myself to the lower donations :P
I'm kind of worried that it won't reach the target goal though. It doesn't look like it'll reach the goal is donations don't increase. I hope that they will though. If I had a Facebook account (evil things though they are) I would share this. As it is I can probably try posting it on other places I visit?

Thank you Graknorke!  Making a donation and telling other people about the campaign are the two best ways of helping us out, so double thanks!

As far as not reaching the goal: That's why we went with the fixed funding model, with fixed funding we only get the money to make the game if we hit our goal so that will hopefully encourage people to put money into the campaign since if we don't quite make it, they get their money back safe and sound, but if we do make it then they get the game!

I would never dream of doing something like Terminus on a flexible funding model where we just keep all the money no matter what, that's a pretty awful way to build a game and a community.

Psyckosama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 03:29:38 am »

Have you considered doing Kickstarter through an American or British agent? Or is that against the Terms?

Harbour Games

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 04:13:15 am »

Have you considered doing Kickstarter through an American or British agent? Or is that against the Terms?

I don't believe it's against the terms, but the complexity of the attempt is enormous.  We would need to create a US corporation and pay our Canadian selves as outsourced workers otherwise the US taxes the kickstarter funds as income.

There are dozens of hoops, US bank accounts we need to register, IRS forms we need to fill out, register with this agency and that organization.

There is a guide to the process here if you are curious: http://www.xenonauts.com/kickstarter.html

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 04:16:12 am »

The dev team working on Castle Story is also Canadian, and they managed to pull off a rather successful Kickstarter after jumping through all the hoops.  THe hassle has been somewhat mitigated lately, thanks to the European branch opening up. Its somewhat easier to manage kickstarters from across international borders; but it is still an issue; but probably something you guys might want to look at at Harbour Games.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 11:01:53 am »

Can you promise me that if i pick a planet with the right gravity and atmosphere, like titan, my colonists will be able to fly under their own strength?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 11:13:52 am »

Who do I have to hold hostage for people to give money to this?
It's hard to get people's attention.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Harbour Games

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 09:24:12 pm »

Can you promise me that if i pick a planet with the right gravity and atmosphere, like titan, my colonists will be able to fly under their own strength?

I could promise you a lot of things but in the actual game we most likely won't be physically representing the colonists.  They will be counted in every building, and will move around between buildings but since everything is sealed you won't see them, they'll just be represented by a coloured shape such as square red for worker, blue circle for scientist and green triangle for engineer, so when you click on a building you can see how many people are in it but not see any specific people, so we won't be measuring their ability to jump around due to the gravity.

Harbour Games

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 09:24:53 pm »

Who do I have to hold hostage for people to give money to this?
It's hard to get people's attention.

It is hard to get people's attention, yes indeed it is.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 05:37:06 pm »

What I am more interested about is how the game plays out.

Is it spreedsheets with a GUI like all those "browser MMORTS" games?
Are there units you can move? Or maybe you give top-levels orders like DF or Tropico?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 06:05:22 pm »

So since this funding is probably not going to reach the goal, when do you think you'll try another campaign?
After you get some footage of mockup gameplay?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Harbour Games

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 03:01:11 pm »

What I am more interested about is how the game plays out.

Is it spreedsheets with a GUI like all those "browser MMORTS" games?
Are there units you can move? Or maybe you give top-levels orders like DF or Tropico?

Very much Tropico-like in visual representation.

and @Graknorke

We're pursuing a few options for what to do next and mockup and visual representation is important yes and on our radar.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 03:38:55 pm »

i swear i saw a game similar to that not long ago was in alpha tho. Cant quite remember the name.
Perhaps you're thinking of Maia? Was on kickstarter a while, got successfully backed.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Psyckosama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »

Damn. I wasn't pleased to get that refund from Indiegogo

So, what now?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4