Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Terminus: real-time construction strategy game (earth is dead, good luck)  (Read 7251 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

http://www.indiegogo.com/terminusgame

If i was given to hyperbole, that reads like; hmm. On a procedurally generated world, where the earth was cannibalized to save the last of humanity, you are the leader of a GRIMDARK doomed remnant of anguished maddened souls invasion force on boatmurdered Colony IN SPACE AND NOTHING LIKES YOU. Thoughts? I always knew we'd like airlocks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:42:29 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Seems interesting.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i swear i saw a game similar to that not long ago was in alpha tho. Cant quite remember the name.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Maybe they should change their game name, because there's already a game called Terminus :
http://www.mobygames.com/game/terminus

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile

They sound a bit dorky at times especially with the name, but id hit that game :3
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The concept looks fantastic, but I'm skeptical about whether the game will get enough funds for it before the kickstarter ends.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very interesting. What is Indiegogo, something similar to Kickstarter?
Make love not war

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Yeap :)

Also, the idea is nifty but... they have no credentials that I found and there's nothing done yet :\

Games are hard to make, and having money isn't a substitute.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Here's the first update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KakpodIR0O8. Attempting to coerce the developers here.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:07:54 am by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Harbour Games

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe they should change their game name, because there's already a game called Terminus :
http://www.mobygames.com/game/terminus

Their trademark has expired and "Terminus" is /too perfect/ for what our game is to name it anything else, Wikipedia will just have to make room.

Harbour Games

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terminus: real-time construction strategy game (earth is dead, good luck)
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 11:53:32 am »

Yeap :)

Also, the idea is nifty but... they have no credentials that I found and there's nothing done yet :\

Games are hard to make, and having money isn't a substitute.

Games are monstrously hard to make.  We know, our lead programmer and 3d modeler/animator have worked several games including Deathspank and Overlord, that information is going up in our next update email.  I don't know why I didn't put it in big flashing neon on the front page until now, but there's always one thing you miss.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 12:17:25 pm »

So, you can explore space and colonize different planets? Or is it one planet+moon? or one planet? I read the description multiple times, but at least for me...it didn't seem very clear. It sounds like you can go off into space, and I'm not gonna bring up names...that isn't what its about. But another indiegogo advertised procedural space gameplay, and I donated, to find out that was only going to happen if they got some absurd amount of money and it was never going to actually happen realistically. Rather pissed me off and still does when I think about it, cause that wasn't announced until way later in the indiegogo starter. Really felt scammed with my money. At least it was cheap...(edit: And actually, I believe they even talked about space gameplay too and how it would be a big thing in the game, which is what got me interested in it. Way before they announced their stretch goals. So it wasn't like I wasn't informing myself and not reading anything before donating)

Now having said that, I'll still donate to you once I get my check next month as the game actually sounds rather awesome. I just want to confirm if you can actually go to space or not, or if it is limited. It doesn't truly doesn't matter, but I at least would like confirmation before donating. Instead of donating and going "hey space", and there being no space :P Even if its just one planet or whatever, or part of space, it still sounds like a good game and wish you guys the best.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:20:38 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Harbour Games

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 12:29:39 pm »

So, you can explore space and colonize different planets? Or is it one planet+moon? or one planet? I read the description multiple times, but at least for me...it didn't seem very clear. It sounds like you can go off into space, and I'm not gonna bring up names...that isn't what its about. But another indiegogo advertised procedural space gameplay, and I donated, to find out that was only going to happen if they got some absurd amount of money and it was never going to actually happen realistically. Rather pissed me off and still does when I think about it, cause that wasn't announced until way later in the indiegogo starter. Really felt scammed with my money. At least it was cheap...(edit: And actually, I believe they even talked about space gameplay too and how it would be a big thing in the game, which is what got me interested in it. Way before they announced their stretch goals. So it wasn't like I wasn't informing myself and not reading anything before donating)

Now having said that, I'll still donate to you once I get my check next month as the game actually sounds rather awesome. I just want to confirm if you can actually go to space or not, or if it is limited. It doesn't truly doesn't matter, but I at least would like confirmation before donating. Instead of donating and going "hey space", and there being no space :P Even if its just one planet or whatever, or part of space, it still sounds like a good game and wish you guys the best.

I will look at the wording on the project page and try to clarify it.

Every time you start a new game you're presented with the same situation:  You have a single colony ship, limited resources, and a swath of procedurally generated solar systems and planets to aim for.  Once your colony ship heads towards a solar system you're committed to the trip, it's an arrow more than it is a ship.  Once you arrive at the solar system that's it, you have you pick one of the planets there to drop your colony onto, the ship does not have enough fuel to do anything more than act as a satellite above the planet.

Really, space is a vehicle for us to get to the game itself which takes place on the planets.  A direct analogue would be setting up a caravan for Dwarf Fortress.  You decide on your provisions, look at the map and off you go, but that process only takes 10 minutes and then you're at your fort site where you play the actual game for hours, that's how Terminus treats its ship/space phase and then the planet 'actually playing' phase.

So, no, space does not really serve a significant role in the game other than as an environment for planets to exist within.  One of the victory conditions for the game is constructing another space ship capable of leaving the planet (spreading humanity further among the stars to ensure survival of the species) so even when you get back into space, you've done it!  Let's get your score up there and see how you did.

The idea, (similar to DF) is to tackle the planets as challenges.  Planets come in wildly differing difficulties, just like trying to settle a desert or a glacier in DF, if you really want to you can try to colonize murderously difficult planets on the high difficulty setting.  I mean, you guys like challenges don't you?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 12:40:13 pm »

okay that sounds awesome, didn't realize it was going to be a DF-like approach to colonization. I wished more games based off DF did that (your game is of course rather different sounding, but example remains), since there are very few if any that actually do. Start in a very hot desert, or an incredibly evil area, or a very cold area, or just something easy or middle of the road. Are you thinking of being able to re-settle old colonies? like re-colonize them or attempt to? Or is it all random each time? I think that be kinda cool to re-build from ruins of a previous colonization attempt.

Does need a bit more clarification on description though on that, but you said that in your post. Your screenshots/art/whatever, seemed to show a lot of space stuff, so that kinda confused me too a bit. I didn't realize that was how it was going to work at all, or well, how it would be handled. Was kinda confusing really. Now that I know how it works, I know where part of my money is going :)
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 12:50:13 pm »

Humanity has not gone to other stars before and in a last ditch effort to avoid extinction they threw together a colony ship and launched it. Space is huge and every resource on the ship is limited, and in a scenario like this you would have to cannibalize the machinery of the ship to prioritize the survival on a planet rather than the distant chance of reusing the ship to go somewhere else as they would need to refuel and resupply it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4