Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monitor problems  (Read 530 times)

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Monitor problems
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:27:24 am »

I'm having some issues with my computer over the installation of some RAM and posted about it on the Corsair forum, and am currently working from a laptop. I figure the other forum is going to be pretty slow, so while I wait for solutions I thought I might as well post about it here too. So here's what I posted in the other forum, thanks to anyone who can help.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Monitor problems
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:40:53 am »

are you running xp?

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:45:23 am »

No, I run Win7 64 bit. If it matters, I'm using an EVGA P55V motherboard, though I don't know the exact model.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 01:46:45 am »

is this onboard or pcie graphics?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 01:47:53 am »

you can wipe the bios settings by pulling out the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds and that will default it back

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 02:13:26 am »

It's pcie, where can I locate the battery? Nevermind, it shouldn't be too hard to find.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:27:05 am by Lillipad »

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 02:40:18 am »

I found the battery, but won't be able to remove it. I bought my computer pre-made with a liquid cooling system in mind. I replaced the slimmer liquid system a few months ago with a clunkier standard heat sink, so there isn't enough room between that and the video card to reach in and grab the battery. I don't have a screwdriver to remove the video card right now, or I would.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 02:57:41 am »

well that would be your best bet to reset the bios, good luck

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:45:39 am »

Alright, I think I figured out the problem. I believe my BIOS was running the old RAM at 1600MHz, and the new RAM at 1333MHz, with my motherboard only supporting 1333MHz. I know the RAM is compatible, as I've used it for years, and the new RAM should be compatible as well, since they're produced by the same company, have the same speed, and are fairly similar lines of RAM. It helps that I have an i5 processor, but that's beside the point.
Now this isn't just mere speculation, I actually set the BIOS to run the new RAM at 1600MHz, and have found that the monitor will not start up with either sticks now. What is mere speculation is my belief that the BIOS, while set to auto for RAM speed, was loading the old RAM at 1600MHz because it "thought the computer could handle it."

If I can reset the BIOS to factory default by getting that annoying battery out, or if I could get a screen to load so I can see what I'm doing, I think changing the RAM speed in the BIOS utility might fix everything. Once it's a more reasonable hour, I'll try to contact a friend to see if he can bring his tools over.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 10:01:13 am »

You should be able to clear the bios with changing a jumper or switch on the mobo, just check/download the manual for the info.