Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Why are beds only able to be made out of wood?  (Read 13208 times)

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
Re: Why are beds only able to be made out of wood?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 05:13:43 pm »

-snip-
Tun Othilisat, Sarvesh Cugancin, and Nish Uristinol, your work has not been in vain.

A giant Kea has stole []Adamantite Battle Axe[]!
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:16 pm »

I believe in Tolkein's Hurin/Turin story there were hill dwarves which slept on stone beds and enjoyed it.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 11:08:59 pm »

I believe in Tolkein's Hurin/Turin story there were hill dwarves which slept on stone beds and enjoyed it.

Those were petty-dwarves, IIRC, which are quite a bit more... gnomish.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2013, 03:45:04 am »

There's a weird double standard among dwarf overseers I guess!

When they talk about their dwarves they say stone like it's a mystical force and play up their deep connection to it, but I guess they're only pretending to be as dwarfy as they are because as soon as you mention sleepin' on it they get nervous.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2013, 07:16:09 am »

When they talk about their dwarves they say stone like it's a mystical force and play up their deep connection to it, but I guess they're only pretending to be as dwarfy as they are because as soon as you mention sleepin' on it they get nervous.
Hardly. Dwarves can revere The Stone and have deep mystical connections with it, but refuse to sleep on it. Because that's not why they revere it. This argument could be taken towards "because it's irrelevant" or "because that would be sacrilege". Stating "you revere X therefore you must do absolutely everything with X somehow involved" is very easy to shoot down.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 02:59:23 pm »

Sleeping on stone is an honour reserved for the dead.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2013, 03:51:08 pm »

I would say that depends on the stone.  For centuries, asbestos was highly coveted for making fire proof cloth garments, and for its strong, rot-proof fibers.

Dwarves routinely do things with pitchblende and cinnabar without ill effect, surely an asbesto fiber bed would be not only soft and insulating, but also 100% stone. :D

Big Bear

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2013, 07:05:17 pm »

I don't know why the mason can't make beds. I've had a mason go into a strange mood and make an artifact bed from stone at the mason's workshop. I put it in the dining room, and everyone got happy thoughts from it, and a few occasionally slept on it.
That means your mason can make beds. What are you complaining about?

That's my point. If a mason can make an artifact bed, you'd think they could make a normal bed as well. They can make all the same furniture a carpenter can, but there's no option at the mason's workshop to make beds.

And I want my cool dwarfs sleeping on cool black shiny obsidian beds!  >:(

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 07:42:50 pm »

Oooh.. owchie.... I sure hope they are well polished first. Obsidian can give you splinters of doom if it isn't really smooth and washed clean before use. (Burrs of the stone will stick to the surface unless washed, and sharp edges will be on chiselled stone unless polished off.)

Big Bear

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 08:21:05 pm »

Oooh.. owchie.... I sure hope they are well polished first. Obsidian can give you splinters of doom if it isn't really smooth and washed clean before use. (Burrs of the stone will stick to the surface unless washed, and sharp edges will be on chiselled stone unless polished off.)

:o

Hmm... I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should move my hospital to the sleeping quarters..

The artifact bed I had was covered with pictures of dwarves being killed by hippos, and it 'menaces with spikes of obsidian'.  I can't imagine how it must have felt to sleep on that thing!

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2013, 09:14:52 pm »

I would say that depends on the stone.  For centuries, asbestos was highly coveted for making fire proof cloth garments, and for its strong, rot-proof fibers.

Dwarves routinely do things with pitchblende and cinnabar without ill effect, surely an asbesto fiber bed would be not only soft and insulating, but also 100% stone. :D

Asbestos strand extraction!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]