Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Why are beds only able to be made out of wood?  (Read 13210 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Why are beds only able to be made out of wood?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 01:12:26 pm »

This post just got less and less coherent, and now I'm just confused.

Allow me to translate.

-Could be a pile of sawdust.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Masterwork bed

-Aromas, like pine and cedar, are cool.
The bed smells awesome and tree.

-Can be a soft wooden slab with a hole carved to custom fit the exact body of each dwarf, perhaps with a hinged lid.
Beds do look suspiciously like coffins.

-Sleeping in a tunnel tube gives you insane "tube dreams".
Awesome violet cavern tree. Effects on Dwarven dreams unknown.

-The exfoliating properties of bark, and scent of the log's pitch combined with the dwarf's natural "sleep sweat" is like a free bath.
Thick resin + Dwarven sweat = Was happy to have a bath recently.

-Sleeping on a non-wood bed may as well be sleeping in the dirt or on a cave floor
What are you an elf?

-The termites and grubs inhabiting the bed make it soft and squishy, as well as exuding a comforting death odor that allows dwarves to rest peacefully
It's what makes Dwarven breads so springy. You just can't get some good night's rest without the comforting cloud of miasma choking your airways.

-A nonwooden bed would be going against the grain
A bed not made from skilled Dwarven carpenters is going against what's normally right.

-You want a linen bed? Too good to sleep on a cactus? Well I guess you're also too good to eat maggot cheese and drink sewer brew mr fancy
Masterwork saguaro tree beds.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The giant cactus is the saguaro tree. Dwarven cheese is only for those with refined tastes; rat weed make the best brew.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 01:17:04 pm »

No, no, no. The Skyrim Dwarves VANISHED. So clearly they vanished and were all teleported into DF, which is why they know the horror of stone beds.

(Yes, I know TES dwarves are elves. This explains DF's distaste for the 'elves' here, which are clearly inferior copies of Dwarven greatness.)

Actually, the Scandinavian origin myths for both Elves and Dwarves has them both originating from common stock, seperated by an arbitrary decision by the aesir.
obligatory Wikipedia reference

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 01:19:50 pm »

Thanks to the masterful translation, all I can really argue is that sleeping on a stone bed builds character and has lower risk of splinters*.

* does not cover injury caused by menacing spike.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 07:01:40 pm »

Metal beds can be modded in. So too can stone beds I believe.

Well, there aren't any furniture raws, so most people wouldn't bother. A custom reaction to make beds of a specific material could be added, which wouldn't be too horrible if you just stuck to a few metals and some stones (which could be altered after world gen for a specific fort).

No furniture raws means absolutely nothing here. You can still make beds with reactions, and you can literally have a "make bed out of ANYTHING" reaction.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 09:01:33 pm »

Well, there aren't any furniture raws, so most people wouldn't bother. A custom reaction to make beds of a specific material could be added, which wouldn't be too horrible if you just stuck to a few metals and some stones (which could be altered after world gen for a specific fort).

No furniture raws means absolutely nothing here. You can still make beds with reactions, and you can literally have a "make bed out of ANYTHING" reaction.

Magma furniture mod? Please?
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 09:08:26 pm »

"This is a masterful molten magma bed. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of dwarves in dragon bone. The dwarves are screaming. The image relates to the initial testing of SleeperScaldings, the Bedding of Nightmares, the molten magma bed in 315. The item menaces with spikes of obsidian and adamantine cloth. The item is decorated with hanging bands of oyster shell. On the item is an image of Likod Forgehammers in green glass. Likod is laughing. The image relates to the creation of SleeperScaldings, the Bedding of Nightmares in 315."

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 09:17:09 pm »

For a little added difficulty and realism, I've always liked the idea that each bed could be made out of either stone or wood, but must also require 1 unit of cloth.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:23 pm »

"This is a masterful molten magma bed. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of dwarves in dragon bone. The dwarves are screaming. The image relates to the initial testing of SleeperScaldings, the Bedding of Nightmares, the molten magma bed in 315. The item menaces with spikes of obsidian and adamantine cloth. The item is decorated with hanging bands of oyster shell. On the item is an image of Likod Forgehammers in green glass. Likod is laughing. The image relates to the creation of SleeperScaldings, the Bedding of Nightmares in 315."

perfect. I want this. In my fortress. Now.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 01:36:13 am »

Magma furniture mod? Please?

Magma is literally just any ol' melted rock here.

(Maybe tomorrow)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 01:38:15 am »

The kicker will be that the reaction will require [container] with [liquid:magma], and that any dwarf attempting to carry it will catch on fire if temperature is enabled.

It will have to be in a nethercap bucket!

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 01:44:57 am »

That actually sounds like a perfect endgame crafting technique- Magma casting furniture.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Big Bear

• Bay Watcher
  • Just Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:08 am »

I don't know why the mason can't make beds. I've had a mason go into a strange mood and make an artifact bed from stone at the mason's workshop. I put it in the dining room, and everyone got happy thoughts from it, and a few occasionally slept on it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 04:10:52 am »

I don't know why the mason can't make beds. I've had a mason go into a strange mood and make an artifact bed from stone at the mason's workshop. I put it in the dining room, and everyone got happy thoughts from it, and a few occasionally slept on it.
That means your mason can make beds. What are you complaining about?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 04:45:07 am »

Indeed. I don't have my raws available with me where I am, but if you grab Deon's Post-Apocalypse mod, there's a reaction for 'make metal bed' in the (custom building) furniture workshop raws.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

eusebius8806

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 12:06:14 pm »

If you order them to 'stud with <metal>', that's exactly what they'll do, as long as the metal you're studding with is not yet present in the item - you can't stud a steel breastplate with steel, but you can stud it with gold, silver and platinum. Metalcrafters will decorate absolutely any finished item they can get their fingers on, including stuff jewellers won't touch: weapons, armour and bins.

Have you actually tested this out with linked stockpiles or something? I have never got it to work with metal or gems.

Granted, I never tried a linked stockpile in the new versions.....

I know this is off topic, but someone asked.

Yes, with the new stockpile links it's pretty easy to do. You link a bar stockpile with a forge (and to stud it uses no fuel so it doesn't matter the fuel source). You then link a weapon or armor stockpile to that same forge. If you do this, you will be able to only stud your adamant or steel gear and not have a crafter studding every single finished good in the fort which used to be the problem unless you burrowed.

I did this with a legendary armorer and a legendary metalcrafter and got dozens of Masterful adamantine weapons and armor studded with superior and masterful quality gold, bronze, aluminum, platinum, menacing with spikes of copper and with masterful images of XX in silver, pewter, &c.

Then, after that fortress fell, I took my adventurer to it, stole all the adamantine stuff and brought it to a abandoned embark. Then I reclaimed it and immediately had candy for everyone. I don't usually do that, but after spending all the time and effort to get a legendary armorer, weaponsmith, and metal crafter to work each piece of adamant, I couldn't help myself. I was more attached to those three dwarves than any other dwarf I've ever had. I figured it would be an insult to their hard work to let their masterpieces sit there forever.

Tun Othilisat, Sarvesh Cugancin, and Nish Uristinol, your work has not been in vain.

A few miles from here/ a frost-stiffened wood waits and keeps watch/ above a mere; the overhanging bank/ is a maze of tree-roots mirrored in its surface./ At night there, something uncanny happens:/the water burns. And the mere bottom
has never been sounded by the sons of men./On its bank, the heather-stepper halts:/the hart in flight from pursuing hounds/will turn to face them with/firm-set horns/and die in the wood rather than dive/beneath its surface./That is no good place.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4