Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Why are beds only able to be made out of wood?  (Read 13233 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: Why are beds only able to be made out of wood?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:02 pm »

Looking at how beds are built at this time i can give you an answer why it's wood only.

First. Easier to make the typical bedframe along with the planks you will lay on.
Second. Wood warms up and stay war Way faster than stone.
Third, Matress with 4 different layers sewn in velvet with inbuilt metal springs are an luxority.

Picture of an typical bed inside Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A.

Skyrim!

Yeah, something like this is how I picture the beds.  Mind stone just seems dwarfier.

I should point out that In Skyrim dwarven beds are made of stone.

Bolded because that is an argument destroying LASER GUIDED MISSILE OF SNARK.

Skyrim is not Dwarf Fortress, although that would be a cool total conversion mod.

With that said, the beds in skyrim in the human towns are accurate for the time period.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 09:38:02 pm »

Looking at how beds are built at this time i can give you an answer why it's wood only.

First. Easier to make the typical bedframe along with the planks you will lay on.
Third, Matress with 4 different layers sewn in velvet with inbuilt metal springs are an luxority.

A.

Skyrim!

Yeah, something like this is how I picture the beds.  Mind stone just seems dwarfier.

Skyrim is not Dwarf Fortress, although that would be a cool total conversion mod.

With that said, the beds in skyrim in the human towns are accurate for the time period.

I know that.  He used a picture of a skyrim bed bed and I just wanted to point out the irony.  Come on guys. :<

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 12:57:51 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83992.0

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 04:09:58 am »

It's obvious. Dwarfs can only rest well over the dead bodies of trees.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 04:19:32 am »

A.

Skyrim!

In that world, dwarves are extinct. Coincidence? I think not.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 04:54:45 am »

Metal beds can be modded in. So too can stone beds I believe.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 05:14:02 am »

I'd guess it's either oversight or deliberate on Toady's part to promote wood use within fortresses. I don't have too much of a gripe with it personally, although the similar requirement for axle constructions tends to make me a little unhappy, especially when dealing with magma.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 06:33:28 am »

For increased difficulty?

For me it doesn't matter since i never use rock pots, only wooden barrels (and ceramics once i get a hold on magma). So i always try to have a surplus of wood.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 07:12:57 am »

A.

Skyrim!

In that world, dwarves are extinct. Coincidence? I think not.

Surely you can't be implying that doing irresponsible things to my dwarves is somehow discouraged here!   I should be able to make their beds out of live, armed goblins if I want to!

If I my smiths forged Keening, Sunder, and Wraithguard in strange moods and I opened up a cavern containing the heart of Lorkhan, you can be darn sure the next thing I'd be telling them to do is hit it!  Causing your own race's total annihilation from existence sounds like the closest thing to a Dwarven Victory Condition I've ever heard.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:17:16 am by Rutilant »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 09:03:40 am »

No, no, no. The Skyrim Dwarves VANISHED. So clearly they vanished and were all teleported into DF, which is why they know the horror of stone beds.

(Yes, I know TES dwarves are elves. This explains DF's distaste for the 'elves' here, which are clearly inferior copies of Dwarven greatness.)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 11:06:52 am »

It's a bit unrealistic that Dwarves can't just sleep on the floor in animal skins or roughly woven blankets or something. I think in the story of Beowulf everyone was just sleeping on the floor in their feasting hall when Grendel came in and did his thing. It almost feels less realistic that commoners or peasants would be complaining of the fact that they don't have proper, well-carved wooden beds when they can grab some animal hides from the stockpile and lay them on the ground. I heard of a knight once, a crusader I think, who was so pious he insisted on sleeping on the ground next to his wife on a bed of straw and always wore extremely roughly woven shirts so that he could suffer and be pious and such.

I have heard though that Toady once planned to add in hammocks made of cloth.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:11:29 am by Owlbread »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 11:25:17 am »

Metal beds can be modded in. So too can stone beds I believe.

Well, there aren't any furniture raws, so most people wouldn't bother. A custom reaction to make beds of a specific material could be added, which wouldn't be too horrible if you just stuck to a few metals and some stones (which could be altered after world gen for a specific fort).

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 12:17:02 pm »

There are tons of ways a "wood" bed is cool as hell.

-Could be a pile of sawdust.
-Aromas, like pine and cedar, are cool.
-Can be a soft wooden slab with a hole carved to custom fit the exact body of each dwarf, perhaps with a hinged lid.
-Sleeping in a tunnel tube gives you insane "tube dreams".
-The exfoliating properties of bark, and scent of the log's pitch combined with the dwarf's natural "sleep sweat" is like a free bath.
-Sleeping on a non-wood bed may as well be sleeping in the dirt or on a cave floor
-The termites and grubs inhabiting the bed make it soft and squishy, as well as exuding a comforting death odor that allows dwarves to rest peacefully
-A nonwooden bed would be going against the grain
-You want a linen bed? Too good to sleep on a cactus? Well I guess you're also too good to eat maggot cheese and drink sewer brew mr fancy

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 12:53:34 pm »

-Can be a soft wooden slab with a hole carved to custom fit the exact body of each dwarf, perhaps with a hinged lid.
-The exfoliating properties of bark, and scent of the log's pitch combined with the dwarf's natural "sleep sweat" is like a free bath.
-Sleeping on a non-wood bed may as well be sleeping in the dirt or on a cave floor
-The termites and grubs inhabiting the bed make it soft and squishy, as well as exuding a comforting death odor that allows dwarves to rest peacefully
-You want a linen bed? Too good to sleep on a cactus? Well I guess you're also too good to eat maggot cheese and drink sewer brew mr fancy

This post just got less and less coherent, and now I'm just confused.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 01:02:10 pm »

This post just got less and less coherent, and now I'm just confused.

I got "Drugs are fun" and "Shut up OP, you're being a pansy elf about this" out of that post.  Think I might have missed something...
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4