Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Why are beds only able to be made out of wood?  (Read 13218 times)

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why are beds only able to be made out of wood?
« on: January 20, 2013, 12:34:59 am »

Disclaimer;  This isn't a gripe post.  Scholarly ponderings!

Just wondering if anyone had any insight into the reasoning.  I don't really care, since it doesn't impact the difficulty or anything since I don't embark in strange places, but it seems like an arbitrary restriction in a game that is otherwise mostly devoid of arbitrary restrictions, doesn't it?

My bed frame IRL is made out of iron;  I assume they're throwing some sort of material on top, instead of just sleeping on bare wood.

Nest boxes can be made out of anything and in order for it to make any sense we have to assume that some sort of nesting material is present as well, right?

So I'd assume you could just make a bed frame - essentially a people sleeping box - out of anything other furniture could be made out of, right?

Nope.  Just a very noticable deviation from the norm!  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:37:31 am by Rutilant »

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
Re: Why are beds only able to be made out of wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:42:55 am »

Uum I don't think they throw anything on top of it. Perhaps they like the creeking sound it makes?B
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 12:43:17 am »

I wonder about that every fort I make. I assume it's just how it was created and it's never been revisited. Surely such inventive crafters could make them of stone or metal.

Uum I don't think they throw anything on top of it. Perhaps they like the creeking sound it makes?B

May make it easier to know when you might walk in on something you didn't want to see..
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 12:47:20 am »

May make it easier to know when you might walk in on something you didn't want to see..

Oh, jeeze.  Turn off the child cap and imagine how noisy the apartment blocks must be.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 01:11:53 am »

The big one I wonder about is why metal crafters that can make steel and all this other stuff don't have the skill/desire to decorate metal armor.  Seems something that would be a natural for the metal smiths.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:41 am »

Seeing high quality armor/weapons automatically get decorations would be cool.

It could be viewed as a difficulty thing. Wood isn't really needed for all that much else, with charcoal being the largest exception (before magma's available, anyway). Lack of beds can force a player to either explore the caverns or venture onto the surface, both of which are usually dangerous. Though really, I usually end up clearcutting my embarks in the first season, and usually get all the wood underground before winter, so it isn't that big of a barrier.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 03:43:50 am »

Looking at how beds are built at this time i can give you an answer why it's wood only.

First. Easier to make the typical bedframe along with the planks you will lay on.
Second. Wood warms up and stay war Way faster than stone.
Third, Matress with 4 different layers sewn in velvet with inbuilt metal springs are an luxority.

Picture of an typical bed inside Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 04:03:14 am »

I would hope that the whole 'beds must be wooden' thing will change eventually.

Personally, I'd expect beds to be made with the mattress built into the frame. This would require two items - one for the frame (which could be wood, metal, stone or glass) and another for the mattress (which would be any cloth - yarn, plant fibre or silk).
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:33:33 am »

The big one I wonder about is why metal crafters that can make steel and all this other stuff don't have the skill/desire to decorate metal armor.  Seems something that would be a natural for the metal smiths.

If you order them to 'stud with <metal>', that's exactly what they'll do, as long as the metal you're studding with is not yet present in the item - you can't stud a steel breastplate with steel, but you can stud it with gold, silver and platinum. Metalcrafters will decorate absolutely any finished item they can get their fingers on, including stuff jewellers won't touch: weapons, armour and bins.

I think of the requirement of wood for beds as a minor quirk intended to make sure you don't just ignore the wood industry, although i generally also use wood for bins, cages, buckets and wheelbarrows. There are a few other things that are wood-exclusive: production of ash (and thus the entire chain of potash/fertiliser, clear and crystal glass, soap) and much of the mechanics - waterwheel, windmill, axles.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 06:46:50 am »

Its funny how you can make a bed out of nether-caps which have a fixed temperature where water freezes, yet no dwarf will complain or feel any worse because of sleeping on it.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 09:40:04 am »

If you order them to 'stud with <metal>', that's exactly what they'll do, as long as the metal you're studding with is not yet present in the item - you can't stud a steel breastplate with steel, but you can stud it with gold, silver and platinum. Metalcrafters will decorate absolutely any finished item they can get their fingers on, including stuff jewellers won't touch: weapons, armour and bins.
Have you actually tested this out with linked stockpiles or something? I have never got it to work with metal or gems.
Granted, I never tried a linked stockpile in the new versions.....

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 12:05:00 pm »

To piss off the elves.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 01:52:40 pm »

To be fair I cant see how you could do a proper bed without wood. Needs a LOT of cloth for it I would guess. The dwarves certainly arent smart enough to invent something new though. Has to be a moody item.

To piss off the elves.

Im fairly apathic towards the elves tbh. Unless they try to trade me tame grizzlies or crocodiles, those are boss.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 03:43:57 pm »

Looking at how beds are built at this time i can give you an answer why it's wood only.

First. Easier to make the typical bedframe along with the planks you will lay on.
Third, Matress with 4 different layers sewn in velvet with inbuilt metal springs are an luxority.

A.

Skyrim!

Yeah, something like this is how I picture the beds.  Mind stone just seems dwarfier.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 07:10:21 pm »

A.

Skyrim!

Yeah, something like this is how I picture the beds.  Mind stone just seems dwarfier.

I should point out that In Skyrim dwarven beds are made of stone.

Bolded because that is an argument destroying LASER GUIDED MISSILE OF SNARK.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4