Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 61

Author Topic: Pantheon Play Thread: In the beginning there was...  (Read 85967 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon Play Thread: In the beginning there was...
« Reply #570 on: March 08, 2013, 07:01:55 pm »

"...explain more.

Why do you call to a god from his ruined temple?"

Gren could not hold back the snort of derision.

"What other temples are there?  Everywhere I go, gods are dead, mad, hated or forgotten, and can you blame we mortals for viewing you so?  Udil's temple spans a whole city, but Udil cares not for this world, only for his own glory.  He entombs himself and all my people beneath the Snakepeak, trusting that the dwarves will prosper when the world eventually recovers.  Yet how can the world heal without physicians?

"Feros is a beast, who cares little for mercy or justice.  He lets the world burn so long as his own prosper, by his own admission.  More than that, I know nothing of who his own are or where they can be found.  I have only his word, and what is the word of a spirit on the air?  I cannot seek his aid, or Udil's, so I went searching for others here in Eversummer.

"Temples to Az-Sho and Thaneos I found a-plenty, ruined and burned out husks.  Those who still knew their names knew them dead as well.  I tried calling to them, to no avail.  The Red Crones who scour the land call to some spirit Vanidia, even as they cut the throats of their victims and spill the blood onto the dirt and sand.  What aid could such a goddess give me?  Why would she care?  She would only have us all bleed upon her altars, if any exist - I could not even find temples to her name.

"Here, of all of blasted Hadria, did I find any hope of another.  So I hoped and prayed, not expecting an answer.  That is how I came here, and that is why I call from a dead temple; because in all the lands I have walked, you have no temple that is not and there is no living temple I can trust with my plea."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 08, 2013, 07:08:08 pm »

"Very well, then I shall do my best to aid you. I have no reason not to, especially as you seem worthy enough,

You shall become a visionary of your people, and so my scripts and books in the temples are available to you alone, as long as you do not disturb the dead. Many of these scripts should be far away from the crypts, luckily.

Also, I grant you knowledge of a lost skill to your dwarves, since you have given me blood."

Gren feels the rush of information enter him; it feels like a painful buzzing.

Crows caw nearby.

One Minor Act: Give Gren the knowledge and the skill of how to create minor golems to help his dwarves work.

Allow Gren to take what scripts and books he needs from the temples.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 08, 2013, 07:12:58 pm »

Gren grabs his skull with both hands, screaming in agony as the knowledge is shunted directly into his mind.  Fortunately, the implantation is nowhere near as comprehensive as Corvus' early attempts.  After about five minutes the screaming has died down to a dull sobbing and five minutes after that Gren picks himself up off the floor, wiping the blood off his nose, ears and beard.  He stares at the crow statue in fear and awe, then bows his head shakily.

"Yes.  Yes, I believe you, Corvus.  Tell me where to go and what to do.  You have my aid until this thing is done."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 08, 2013, 07:15:32 pm »

"Apologies. I didn't think it would be that painful.

Go into the north and west antechambers of the temple, through the entrance hall. You should find rooms with scriptures and books for what your people need. I cannot aid further, unless I gain sacrifices, it seems."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:17:26 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 08, 2013, 07:21:59 pm »

"Thank you, Corvus, but I meant more practically - how can I aid you against this creature you fear?  I have spent enough time reaching this place, I had best not delay this quest further.  If you can tell me where to find weapons or armour to use against it, or lead me to one who can help me another way, I will head there.  Even the shrines of other gods, that I might pray to them for assistance, would suffice.  Failing that, direct me to the place of battle and I will do what I can."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 08, 2013, 07:24:25 pm »

"I cannot aid you much, but if you truly require armour and weapons, worship Lo. I cannot and do not provide weapons."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 08, 2013, 07:26:13 pm »

"Let me be more blunt.  Where do I go to fight this thing?"

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 08, 2013, 07:45:40 pm »

So some being brought even more pain to the Eversummer? More deaths and horrible epidemics? That's clearly was a work of divine being, or one aiming to become one.  As if starvation wasn't enough for the once proud land. Vanida screamed in anger, every divine on the planet should have heard her words. " That's enough!!! From now on, Humans of Eversummer are under my protection. Whoever divine will come here, should experience my wraith, even if it will be an overgod himself! That land experienced enough pain!!! It was made for humans and it will be for humans!" Only Udil could understand that level of wraith, as only a goddess as passionate as Vanida could come that close to his own limitless anger.

First Vanida gathered all healthy humans (and only humans)  of Eversummer and sent them to the vault created by Udil with the message to the owner of the place "  Volondor, please, spare their lives. As they are creations of Murate, too. And deserve lives no less than dwarfs. And if you can, Ask Udil to help my clear the world from abomination created by us, gods

1 act: = Send healthy humans of Eversummer to Udil's underground vault 

Then, With all her anger, Vanida smashed Thaneos's flying fortress right into the abandoned Corvus' temple, hoping to kill Gren and as much of the giants as she could. And gather their divine power as she needed it to save the world. They would die anyway. They should die. As they are abominations, they are wrong mortals, mistakes of the gods...

1 act:  Smash the flying fortress at the temple of Corvus. Attempting to kill as many of inhabitants as possible (And Gren)

And after that she ordered her slaves, her guardians, her wyrms,  to rip anything on the Eversummer to pieces. Surviving Giants, undead warriors, fallen sisters, any god that would decide to fight against Vanida. In her anger she didn't even gave a chance to her own recently born daughters, as they are abomination, too. And should die. And again Vanida tried to absorb all the released energy for her own power while personally staying out of combat.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:50:11 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 08, 2013, 07:55:10 pm »

Gren shook himself out of his communion with the crow god.  He could hear a strange sound coming from the abandoned city.  Was it... whistling?  He hefted his axe, hurried to the entrance of the temple and stared up at the terrible fate approaching.

"Oh gods."

The falling edifice, screaming in the wind, could not be more than half a minute away.  No chance of escaping the city.  Acting more on instinct than anything else, Gren grabbed hold of the pickaxe he had left abandoned by the temple door and ran pell mell back down to the deepest, most secure part of the temple, the shrine.  He hauled shut every stone door on its rails along the way, trying to create as many barriers as he could, then hurled himself behind the altar to Corvus and hoped against hope itself.

Gren tries to survive the impact by hiding in the deepest, most secure part of the temple, beneath the ground.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 08, 2013, 08:03:46 pm »

"Vanida, no.... don't go" Volondor was greatly saddened by this turn of events, for there was no treachery in his acts. He yearned for her touch, for her passion that was a respite from hate that burned within Udil. If there was a force in the universe that would tame the hate, it would be through other, positive emotions. And Volondor sought those out in his capacity as an artist.

Udil meanwhile, we listening to the simulacrum of the Goddess of Improvement.

"You are wise in seeking me out, for this is my goal too. i seek to rebuild the world to ensure that we gods do not perish without mortal worship and that the world we rule over is not a barren wasteland. If you desire an alliance, I will accept it. If you desire to form a pantheon I will accept it too. But remember, I am the ultimate rule of dwarvenkind and I will brook no interference with my acts if you join me. As the representative of the Overgod, all I do is in name of this universe."
----------------------------------------------------

The battle within Udil-Volondor was far from over. With information of sealing a cosmic horror within the prison and the fact that perhaps the only salvation of dwarvenkind fled them, Volondor hated Udil more than ever.
"You scared her! How could she help us out or bear anything if all she saw was your hate?"
"You fool! She would use you and then seek another breeder for herself, so unsatisfied she is! What makes you think you would be any different?"
"She is starved for real emotion. I can see it. If she were to truly commune with another divine essence...
"You've seen nothing! Hanging onto promises of pleasure and hope asa god is one thing, battling gods and experiencing a mortal life is another! I need you to go into this with both eyes open and not be too fooled by mirages of happines.."
"So you want to deprive her and us from true chance at fixing this world? Can you truly say no?"

Udil was silent. He was battling with himself, the divine essence regressing into smaller and smaller parts, discussing the problems and fate  of Dwarvenkind.

"We shall try to regain that chance. A pantheon must be formed, and only we are capable of taking control over it all, with our prison duty and our representation in Overgod's name. I shall interrupt you no longer. Regain her trust if you can, for the time for this world grows short."

Thats all the Artist ever needed. Freedom to work.

The humans that Vanida sent to them was a clear sign that she still wanted to maintain contact. The Artist was more than willing to accommodate them for now.

Volondor regains freedom to operate and begins calling upon Vandia to meet him again. He also accepts the humans sent to him and accommodates them in the dwarven kingdom
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:20:34 pm by Ardas »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 08, 2013, 08:14:43 pm »

The simulacrum curtsied.

"Yes, why not. Us t-four shall work together, Dwarf-king...now, if you have no plans, I would like to ask on how you presume to help this world. I personally plan to restore the plant life first, before anything else."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 08, 2013, 08:58:15 pm »

Aur-Sha had been dreaming, she hadn't moved from her hill, why would she? And she didn't wake often, after all, she seemd more aware of this galaxy when she slept. She had sensed many things in her sleep, a great hunger, a union of gods (one of which was her freind Corvus), conversations among other things, they bored her. But the actions of one god caught her attention, Vandia had called on some creatures to her, and something about these creatures seemed, familiar, as if they shared something in common with her. She didn't know why they would, since Vandia was apparantly one god that had been her fathers enemy, yet she felt a connection of some kind to this godesses children. Then se made up her mind and looked to the sky once more, "Corvus, please come, I have one more question for you." Perhaps she shouldn't bother Corvus so much, but this was something she had to know.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:11 pm »

Udil replied after a short moment of thought.

"While you want to preserve the plant life, I shall take it upon myself to preserve the mortals of this world and ensure they grow. I shall also spare an act to clear the atmosphere of the world and ensure that the skies are clear again. I hope those measures are satisfactory to you."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 08, 2013, 09:11:32 pm »

"Very much so, so very much indeed. I do not think I should take up any more of your time and thus I do leave."

The simulacrum disintegrated, with her mission complete.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 09, 2013, 12:03:53 am »

"Brother of Death and Brother of the Wilds, do you really think we should be pitting the last few mortals in existence in games of chance? We'll slaughter a great many of them looking for suitable candidates and the whole process by itself will take far too much time."

"I yield the point.  I was stating what I would send the subject through."  Kar'lan began thinking for a time.  "Wait.  What if all four of us each empowered a mortal of our own choice.  If we empower only a single mortal, then if that one falls, we have little hope left besides starting from scratch, as well as the factor that one mortal is more likely to favor one diety, causing division within this pantheon that would doom us to oblivion.  If we have more than one, then the force can be in a state of flux, reducing costs if one dies, which is less likely in a disciplined group which can strike from a multitude of directions to take down larger foes, in addition to removing the factor of dissent in our ranks from jealousy and favoritism.  There would still be overlaps, with greater ferocity from Feros, to give an example.  What is it you all think of this plan of action"
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 61