Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 61

Author Topic: Pantheon Play Thread: In the beginning there was...  (Read 85898 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon Play Thread: In the beginning there was...
« Reply #825 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:14 pm »

Kar'lan nodded to the giants solemly.  "I can understand your reasoning.  I will not interfere with the workings of Eversummer, or even enter it, unless the souls of the deceased are in danger, and even then, I will instead send my messengers to deal with the ones who will harm souls before I come.  If those soul-eaters come here, I will wait for a time before I send my messengers so that you can deal with them.  But if you are unable to stop them, which due to your abilities I have reason doubt you would be unable to, I will send my messengers to assist your people.  Of course, I will not explicityly ban them from coming here, I just won't order them to come to Eversummer.  I have seen Thaneos's actions, and I respect him for what he was trying to do.  It is too bad that he did not last.  He may have made this universe better.

I do have a feeling that Udil will be a tad...worried about bringing Thaneos back.
"

Kar'lan looked towards Udil-Volondor, continuing, "You did destroy Thaneos's hammer in order to get a mighty act to help you kill Aodun.  And you are wrong to say that only dieties are the causes of Civilization.  Civilizations can rise and fall without intervention."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:54:12 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 19, 2013, 07:53:55 pm »

Kar'lan looked towards Udil-Volondor, continuing, "You did destroy Thaneos's hammer in order to get a mighty act to help you kill Aodun."

"It was done for a good reason and you know it. All of creation was about to be devoured and that was the only remnant of power Udil had. He hurled himself into combat, and that is why I'm here and he's not."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 19, 2013, 07:56:42 pm »

"It was done for a good reason and you know it. All of creation was about to be devoured and that was the only remnant of power Udil had. He hurled himself into combat, and that is why I'm here and he's not."

"I am not saying it was not done for a good reason, I am saying that Thaneos might not like that if he was returned.  And what of the rest that I said?  My statements are true."
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 19, 2013, 07:59:21 pm »

Letting out a breath, Fate finishes her working, nodding slightly and leaving settling down to the floor, sending an apparition of Herself to the meet of the gods, standing with the others.

"I apologize for my lateness... I had matters which had to be taken care of, for I could not in good faith leave the treatment of the souls of my people to later. In any case, I am here now, and hope that my lateness has not cause me to miss overmuch of the proceedings."

She had arrived just in time to hear this second wave of comments, a quiet sigh emanating from her.

"Will you and your bride ever end your meaningless accusations against the Crow? He did not leave for fear or paranoia, but because his gifts were not appreciated, and he was accused of cowardice and malice when he had only sought to help the mortals of the world. You, on the other hand, seem only to wish to increase your own power. A shame, really. You could have been so much more if you could cut down on your ego somewhat."

She turns to the mortals, curtsying slightly.

"Greetings, as I do not believe I have introduced myself. I am Fatianna, a relatively new Goddess as far as such things go. I come mainly for the sake of completeness in the proceedings, and neither seek nor believe I deserve your attentions, though I will not turn away what is freely offered. As such, I will accept whatever decision you have on the matter of who is allowed to enter this place. Unlike some other gods, I merely wish for the well-being of myself and my worshipers. I do not seek to control or bind anyone, for that goes against my purpose."
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 19, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »

"Fatianna, I must admit, I do not remember when you entered.  I came in near the end of the rift crisis a few hundred years ago.  I only ask to test a theory, that the shorter the time spent in this universe by a deity, the more they care about their worshipers.

Anyway, I thought I was the only one to have noticed the megolomaniac tendencies of Udil-Volondor, but it appears that I am wrong in that.
"

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 19, 2013, 08:15:34 pm »

"This Fractal entered the universe on the eve of the fall of the Phoenix and the sealing of the Rift, much the same time as you. As far as your theory... It's possible, though I hope not. I would not wish to have my care for them diminish overtime, for is it not the duty of the Gods to serve their worshipers?"
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:45 pm »

"I beleive that duty is true.  I recall the previous universe that I was at, before I came to this one through the rift, had dieties bound so that they could only use their acts when a worshiper prayed.  It was a humbling experience, one that most of the dieties here could learn.

Anyway, the theory also seems true across all levels, mortals and immortals.  The longer they live, the more they are set in their ways, the less they are willing to change and innovate, and the more likely to slander those that are younger than them.
"

When saying the last sentence, Kar'lan was looking towards Udil-Volondor, returning his gaze to where it was before afterwards.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 19, 2013, 08:44:10 pm »

"I suppose one must be ever watchful for straying from one's path, if that is the case... oh well, I expected as much, in any case. I believe I may enjoy your company in the future, honestly. If you ever wish for a change in scenery, I would be glad to have you as a guest in my newly-built halls."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 19, 2013, 08:49:58 pm »

"If it were not for the danger of the modification to the barrier allowing in less-than-favorable entities, I would say the same to you.  As it is, I am less than willing to do anything that would cause a threat to the souls of those whom have passed on.  At least, until these soul-eaters are destroyed..."

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 19, 2013, 09:03:14 pm »

She nods, sighing. "A shame, those. They will have to be dealt with, but I am not sure that we are the ones destined to do so. Gods intervening directly tends to cause more harm than good, almost. In any case, we could make interesting partners... Death is, after all, the greatest Unknown there is, in some ways."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 19, 2013, 09:15:11 pm »

"How true.  How true."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:49:52 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 19, 2013, 09:35:46 pm »

Not really, you get used to it after a while... It gets kind of boring being dead after a while, maybe Corvus can tell you how it is after I am done with him? I think he would be quite glad to tell you...

Gren, I wish for nothing to do in the Land of the Children of Thaneos; as I have my own lands to help grow and prosper. I accept your terms, as they should be agreeable to my plans.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 20, 2013, 01:40:09 am »

Udil-Volondor looked at the assembly and spoke to Gren. With god of craft and arts in control, he was taken over by understanding and desire to mend the way somewhat. The wars were destructive, thats true, but peace demands sacrifices from all to make it last.

"Gren, my son. Those are intriguing words and demands that you make. But don't you suppose you only create antagonism by trying to enforce a will of a dead god? By holding to an ideal that is empty? Don't you see that everything that is being done on this world is by merit of gods? How can you blatantly deny that mortals rise and fall by our might?
I love your gumption, son, but  even you got to realize that neutrality is not worth the price, not the one the people of Eversummer will pay and not the one you will have to bear. 

Let it be known that I still posses the power of the divine jailer and that the current Overgod made me as his representative in this universe. I seek to stabilize it as much as you do.

I want to make one thing clear about our powers, influence and words that have been said and done so far since fall of Aodun or even before. My rise was not so much a product of Udil's ambition but as much as a fear of suffering and pain that mortals, especially dwarves had to go though. They were beset from all sides by gods that took them in, mutated them into fire beasts, shades and others. Udil put all of them down, save for one - Az-sho, who was felled personally by Thaneos with his last blow.
After Aodun, I descended back to the world and put my entire being to restore it and its mortals, who were but helpless babes ready to be slaughtered. My being exists because and for the dwarves.
The same cannot be said of Corvus, who selfishly locked himself on a far-away moon, fueled only by paranoia and hate, forsaking the world and acting through agents, who are unaware of their position. God of knowledge who lives in fear is but a warped shadow of his sphere, misguided and hateful.

Vanida's war is unwarranted however, but she saw it as the only way to remove all those who were not Firstborn of the Creator, as to ensure safety of the world and the viability of Eversummer for new life. Let us set aside old hatreds and join forces. Do not isolate Eversummer for it will be an eternal battleground, ripped apart by all those seeking it. Mortals of this world already rally under my rule and Vanida blesses them, while Lo improves them and Feros brings protection to the north. We tend to the sea, we resurrect dead deities and peoples. Hatred against Udil is not outweighed by the good done. Commit the giants and yourself to my pantheon, and Eversummer can be a land as you see it, free for all sentients to live in. Do that, and the vendetta will be over and the world united in one embrace."

He then turned to the giants.
"Watch your tone now. Allfather sided with me and I did as much as I could to safeguard the world. If it were in my power I would save him, but I cannot. For I wasn't always a god. but the tides of time saw me grow, change and arrive at this point. Right now you are the only ones demanding war, even though Wise Gren here declared desire for peace. You cannot bar me entry anywhere, it is by my grace that the world still lives and i am still here, dealing with you. either accept the chage and make amends with us as we desire with you, or be responsible for your own fall.
Gren, my son, you are a witness to this - I am willing to bury the hate and have Vanida forsake the vendetta and bring peace to you under my aegis. Giants live in the past. Do not let the past ruin you, for it s only full of death."

Corvus' voice turned cold at this. He directed this at Udil-Volondor.

"Know that it was partly due to your conquests that I was forced into hiding and turned into a refugee against my own planet. As for the rest, you may blame your wife and the general condition of the planet until recent times, as I have my own children to take care of, and a god to shelter. Though of course, as always, the Crow is at fault for hiding from his enemies. Warped by fear. And yet the god of arts and crafts now controls the air and rules the world, save for Feros' domain, which undoubtedly you will target soon. Do not call other gods out on their mistakes and faults of their spheres if you do your own sphere wrong.

Don't harp on about not interfering with other god's worshippers. I of all people remember your march on Az-Sho for that purpose. Of all of you, I am the only person who was alive throughout this entire period and will not shy from revealing the truth that everyone knows.

And a vendetta? Why not harm the dwarf I pushed to aid mortals? Or are you willing to ignore my assistance of a visionary to accuse me of mistakes that I frankly am not guilty of or forced into? Of course, as typical, I will be at fault again, because the God of Knowledge is apparently a paranoid selfish bastardy hypocrite who hates mortals and children and wants to kill everyone for his own gain."

He directed his voice at Gren. This time it was kinder, with less venom and history behind it.

I agree with your terms, Gren. My penance must be done, although certain gods would call me hypocritical and a bastard and a coward for them.
As for the fire giants,I will repay them. It was a foolish mistake to have wronged them, and frankly, one that I need to rectify."

He directed his voice at Aldemas, and it was colder.

"Aldemas, threatening another god at a peace conference is the worst idea you've had. In front of his
allies. You also forget that you died after betraying my trust, when we were both near death, for your own gain, while I responded to keep myself alive, and only killed you by a mere fluke.

But again, you will ignore that for your vendetta against me."

And the Crow's voice began tensing, as if holding back suppressed fury.

"It all boils down to betrayal and misblaming. I am eternally blamed and accused of mistakes which I had no choice but to make or didn't make! And yet all of you dare call me a coward and a hypocrite and all I have ever done is to try and survive and to help as much as I can! You, of all people, Aldemas, would know; you attempted to turn on me for allying with you, even though I couldn't even fight you, and Udil, you called me selfish yet desire the world behind you and tried to conquer my city on the moon, or desired it, if only because it was mine.

Though of course, you would ignore your OWN mistakes and point at me to accentuate mine. I accept my mistakes but you all have to acknowledge your own, instead of heaping lies and exaggerations on me!

Is it not a wonder I left the planet with all of you blaming and accusing and hunting me for apparent grievances which they were either partly to blame for or don't exist? I have always been the god of knowledge and I have always taught who I can, but where is the god of art's statues of history? Or the god of light's spire? Nowhere. Instead they try to control mortals, accuse me of various sins, and in the latter's case, refuse to accept the world is moved on, that I was truly penant about his death and frankly,should let it go for now for the sake of peace and rebuilding.

But as I said, you will all ignore me because your arguments are apparently more important or valid than mine."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:49:07 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 20, 2013, 02:55:05 am »

"I take no credit for anything, save things I have a major stake in. What has this come about from?"
"Gren credits you with my actions. he has a certain...... emnity towards me, for I asked him to leave Udil before he lead the dwarves to their deaths. Perhaps he sees this as my fault. But regardless, I wish simply to correct him as to his little mistake."

Gren listened at some length as Feros' avatar gave a full account of the healing of the world, including his part and Udil's part in the restoration.  After several minutes Feros finished and the dwarf considered his words.

"I offer you my most abject apologies, God of the Wilds.  I had misjudged you based on our first encounter.  Your very presence here speaks to your willingness to treat with mortals fairly, so I freely accept what you have to say.  On behalf of the Council of Three, I hereby recognise the actions of yourself, Udil-Volondor and all other gods involving in the healing of Despair.  You have our gratitude, though our worship each man will determine for himself."

and legends tell of a violent jungle to the frozen north where an ancient goddess died.  Whenever gods war, the world suffers.
[/color]

'I thank you Gren, and I ask no more of you. Although know that the god essenses are not entirely hostile. The jungle of Nevyravah alows my perople to thrive in a land where plants would not otherwise grow, and helps them thus. As for your rules, they are agreed. I have never acted otherwise except to destroy the threats to this world.'
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 20, 2013, 02:59:06 am »

Gren raised his hands in the universal gesture of peace.

"I thank you for your words, honoured gods, but let them go.  I know not the full extent of your division, Volondor and Corvus, but it only serves to cause difficulty.  I ask you, for this council at least, to put those differences behind you.  There are threats to all, divine and mortal alike, greater than our disagreements.  It is with such a threat in mind that I sue for peace, an abomination among the stars that I have sworn to end, but such greater threats cannot be faced while war still looms among us."

Gren turned to the fire giant ambassadors.

"Honoured Eldtursar, your terms have been heard.  Corvus freely acknowledges and will make reparations to you and your kind, in the hope that this rift between you may be healed.  I pray you accept this offering and let this be an end to your feud."

Gren turned to the projection of Udil-Volondor.

"Volondor, your acknowledgement of Vanida's unwarranted vendetta is heartening to us, but the divides here are deep and without time and patience there is little chance of the children of Thaneos ever willingly accepting your claimed stewardship of this world.  A sign is required for there to be healing, one equal in term to Vanida's act against us.

"I had not thought it possible to raise the dead until dwarves were reborn after the fires struck the world.  I would not have thought it possible to revive gods, save that a deity long thought slain stands before us now to prove his life.  You yourself claim the power to resurrect your own kind, Volondor.

"You say that Thaneos was an ally to you, that you fought by his side against Az-Sho in the battle that scorched the lands of the Eldtursar.  Surely then you would have no objection to his return, if you thought it possible."

Gren addressed the image of Kar'lan.

"I defer to your wisdom in this matter, esteemed Kar'lan, for I know only this side of Death.  Surely some part of Thaneos lives on in his children, in his Halls.  It may not be within the power of the gods to raise him fully as once he was, for surely even Aldemas was not returned hale and whole after long centuries gone, but might it be possible to return his spirit to at least the body of a giant - immortal and able to lead and teach his children, even if his full power might not be returned?"

Gren turned to the Council of Three.

"Thaneos was powerful, so great that he slew the Creator himself.  If the lesser gods of today can return but a part of him, even that will be mighty by comparison.  He would need his children to care for him as he regained his strength.  If the resurrection of such a great being is beyond their power, I beg you to consider another sign in its place.

"Yet I say again that Thaneos called for his Halls to be a place of meeting and neutrality for all.  If the intercession of the gods in any way in Eversummer cannot be, I call for you to respect his wishes in this.  Let the Halls themselves, or a wing or part of them, be opened to the gods and other spirits of power as an embassy, a neutral ground for them to meet without fear of one another - and for mortals to do the same.  The gods offer their concessions, but we must all make sacrifices for peace.  Sacrifices still far less than those we would make for war.  Let the gods take no part in Eversummer, but let us realise the Father's dream."

Gren finally made to address all parties.

"The wounds here are great, but not beyond healing.  The gods have shown willingness to bend for peace, I ask that we mortals do the same.  I ask that we reconcile our differences, not merely for peace but because there is a far greater threat against which we must stand united.

"Three centuries before, Feros came to me to tell of a horror, an abomination beyond the stars.  A creature that devoured gods as hawks do sparrows.  A creature immune to the powers of the divine, but which might be slain through mortal agency.  The creature was trapped, I know not how, but I know he still lives.  He has lived for three centuries now, sealed away, and each night he whispers in dreams, calling to be freed.  Some of you may have heard these whispers in your sleep, some tormented by his nightmares.  I fear that he grows in power, and whatever trap the gods lured him into will not hold.

"It is tempting, in light of all that has happened, to think 'Let the gods suffer, let this beast tear through them as a wolf through sheep.'  It is tempting to think 'it is no more than they deserve'.  I make no judgement on this.  What I say in this; when the gods, powerless against this beast, approached me first they felt mortals stood a chance against this creature.  Then, that was true.  But fattened by the bloated corpses of the divine, can we deceive ourselves that we would stand a chance against it?  Such an entity would reave all, mortal and divine alike.  Its reckoning would see an end to all Creation.

"I call for peace that we might war, not against each other, but to put down this threat once and for all.  Then we might rebuild our work untroubled, then we might stand a chance of harmony at last."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 61