Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 61

Author Topic: Pantheon Play Thread: In the beginning there was...  (Read 85893 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon Play Thread: In the beginning there was...
« Reply #810 on: March 19, 2013, 04:19:21 pm »

Udil-Volondor enjoyed his domestic time, looking over Vanida and taking care of dwarven business.
He was greatly intrigued by the meeting, so he decided to send his astral specter to speak there, to avoid direct harm and to be able to stay in Udilsbor while he cared for his wife.

Volondor was the man to speak, looking over the collected gods.
"Gren, I see you wanted to talk publicly, set down rules for this world, yet again. I will listen to you intently, allow you to speak and hold back my tongue until a solid argument has been fomred for our discussion.
You might be unrepentant, but you are still of the dwarven stock, the stone is in your bones and Udil speaks to you through the blood. You will not be turned away if you are sensible.
As for other collected deities, I hope we are able to finally reach an agreement.... although I'm not sure if all gods are present. It would be hard to treat any such meeting as binding. Vanida's absence is excusable however, for she is with a child and I cannot trust any of you with my progeny. I shall speak for her.

Now, let us debate."

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 19, 2013, 04:24:41 pm »

"I take no credit for anything, save things I have a major stake in. What has this come about from?"
"Gren credits you with my actions. he has a certain...... emnity towards me, for I asked him to leave Udil before he lead the dwarves to their deaths. Perhaps he sees this as my fault. But regardless, I wish simply to correct him as to his little mistake."

Udil-Volondor enjoyed his domestic time, looking over Vanida and taking care of dwarven business.
He was greatly intrigued by the meeting, so he decided to send his astral specter to speak there, to avoid direct harm and to be able to stay in Udilsbor while he cared for his wife.

"Gren, I see you wanted to talk publicly, set down rules for this world, yet again. I will listen to you intently, allow you to speak and hold back my tongue until a solid argument has been fomred for our discussion.
You might be unrepentant, but you are still of the dwarven stock, the stone is in your bones and Udil speaks to you through the blood. You will not be turned away if you are sensible.
As for other collected deities, I hope we are able to finally reach an agreement.... although I'm not sure if all gods are present. It would be hard to treat any such meeting as binding. Vanida's absence is excusable however, for she is with a child and I cannot trust any of you with my progeny. I shall speak for her.

Now, let us debate."

'Once more, I speak for Corvus. The crow fears to come, and i could not persuade him otherwise."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:26:36 pm by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 19, 2013, 04:27:14 pm »

"Then do so, I wish for there to be no enmity between those who have no good reason to be so."

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 19, 2013, 04:37:10 pm »

Fatianna is busy at the moment, and pays no heed to the others working around her. She had much more to work on, before she could tarry on such things as debate. The souls around her hungered for their new form, the Exalted wishing to come truly into being.

"come then, my faithful ones, and be rewarded."

Deep within the primeval forest of her chosen planet, she descends to earth, hovering there for some moments, and calling. Fifteen. Thirteen souls she had chosen, thirteen of the greatest poets, scholars, and warriors, to come here, to this place that she would consecrate as one of her most sacred. This would be her Pinnacle, from which all of her further workings would come.

"The time has come, my children, for you to be reborn. Rise, rise from your slumber, and come forth once more, in this most sacred of places, and become my Guardians, my Apostles, and my Awakened!"

The trees around her erupt into silver flame as her power pours out of her, twisting them, enhancing and shaping their growth, until a single tree, miles wide at its base and stretching far into the atmosphere, with bark and leaves the color of burnished silver stands in that place, a living, breathing thing, attuned to her power, and providing a conduit for her as well. She ties herself to it, and pours further power into the place. Soon, the silver orbs of Spirit around her burst into living flame, sinking into the tree itself, soon to sprout into new life.

Fatianna creates the World Tree of Solitude, Argentus, and ties her spirit and that of her Exalted to it. If any being tied to Argentus is slain, they are drawn back to the Tree in the moments before their death and protected there until a new body is formed for their Essence to inhabit, with more powerful beings taking much longer to regenerate thusly than weaker ones. Mortals tied to the Tree also gain the ability to tap into the power of the Ring which encircles Solitude's star, granting them the ability to preform Acts of divinity should they gather enough of it.[1 Act]

She also Empowers her Exalted, blessing each of them with the powers of a Demigod in their own right, according to their station. The Guardians are granted acuity of sense, enhanced strength and dexterity, speed, and other physical characteristics. The Apostles are gifted with acuity of thought and mind, blessed with the virtues that would likely resonate quite well with the Crow, for they are the Scholars of the Exalted, and the Awakened are blessed with a force of spirit, of leadership and compassion. They are the artists, the poets of the Exalted, whose power lies in inspiration and spiritual might. All such creatures gain the ability to control the blessed Soulfire which Fatianna so often employs in her Acts, that silver flame which burns through body, spirit, and void at once, and as a whole they are blessed with sufficient power to stand up to a Minor god, given sufficient resources at their disposal. [1 Mighty Act]
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 19, 2013, 04:44:14 pm »

Lo curtsied in the dead of space.

"Lord Magnus, pleasure to see you. I've invited you here for a very simple reason: I want to introduce the arts of magic to the peoples of Despair, the most highly populated planet in the current universe. Of course, I could produce it myself...but it is not my right. It is yours. I would ask that you bring the arcane arts to the mortals rather than I; would not be appropriate for a god of magic to not have gifted magic to mortals."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 19, 2013, 04:44:50 pm »

Corvus spoke to the rest, as a disembodied voice, who could not be located nor smote.

"I have decided to unburden Feros, while remain unseen and intangible.

I am unwilling to come down, and calling me a coward or implying it will not persuade me otherwise."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 19, 2013, 04:57:31 pm »

While flattered, I must say that I am no lord, nor Count or Duke. I don't posses any worldy titles, nor do they apply to me. In fact, I must even admit that arcane arts are not my creation, but that I've learnt what I know now from other masters. However, I must say that the Arts of magic are a dangerous path to explore on your own, another lesson I learnt from my former existence. Power corrupts, and then theft, treason, murder are not far fetched.

As such, I will heed your request. I can enchant this asteroid, send it on a long journey through space to be a guiding light for all those who wish to learn the true nature of this universe. Pieces would break off, containing the knowledge to use one's own magical power.

However, I feel the need to ask what you would gain by this. After all, magic is not the glorious all healing force that people tell it to be. Do wish to observe the mortals, seeing them fight and die, or gather knowledge and riches. Is this all merely for your own amusement, or is there something bigger at hand.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 19, 2013, 05:00:22 pm »

Aleena's hears the faint call of a soul. Like Traurig's it was strong, yet small. It called out for a cknvene of the Gods. Aldemas would attend, however wary of the others. When he arrived, many of the beings were far stronger than he. And he waited for others to come as well.
He noticed Volondor along with the familiar faces.
"What is it you want Mortal? No matter, for I shall listen."

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 19, 2013, 05:02:19 pm »

As Gren arrived near the ocean, a group of Catalysts formed together in the vague shape of a man, rose from the water to meet him.  Hearing his speech and of his fears, the Catalyst Avatar nodded solemnly.

The decision is of course yours to make.  I was simply offering what I considered a gift.  Regardless let me at least do this much for you.

With those words, the Catalyst mass lost its shape and became a small swarm.  The swarm then wraps around Gren in the form of a cloak.  The cloak protects Gren and can form into a small swarm of Catalysts at any moment.  These Catalysts follow the orders of Gren and also enable me to communicate with him and others in his vicinity.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:29:04 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 19, 2013, 05:06:55 pm »

Humble, very humble. So very...much a relief.

"Magnus, I know you aren't the creator of magic; I've traveled through the Void and know other gods of magic."

'As for what I want out of this, well isn't it simple? I am a god of improvement and improvement is my only purpose in life. I wish to see the sentients improve through the use of magic, and I will gladly contribute my own essence to the task...of course I know the evils that may occur, but they are an acceptable disadvantage."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:14:52 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 19, 2013, 06:39:01 pm »

The Edge of the Galaxy

Unpertubed by any Gods, the strange fleet sets to work. Minod, the playwright hadn't moved from his placed at the Voidguard, hanging in space completely apathetic. The fleet appeared directly before him, ignoring the calls of the Voidguard. Smaller shuttles set out towards him and with stranges apparatuses began to suck in his very essence. Like a swarm of Mosquitoes they began to suck the very lifeforce from the god, more and more shuttles joining them from their motherships. The process was taking it's time, but slowly and surely the god was beginning to fade.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 19, 2013, 06:44:27 pm »

After a few days' preparation, the Council was held in an amphitheatre in Spireright.  The Father's Halls hung above the city while Gren, the Council of Three and the various visiting ambassadors took positions around a round oaken table with thrones.  The various projections of the gods appeared and took their places; the Catalyst mantle was hung about the shoulders of a mannequin to serve as a presence for the Catalysts at the council.  He does not directly state the presence of the Catalyst, giving it the freedom to announce or conceal its presence as preferred.

When all were gathered, Gren called the council to order and listened first to the words of the gods.

"I take no credit for anything, save things I have a major stake in. What has this come about from?"
"Gren credits you with my actions. he has a certain...... emnity towards me, for I asked him to leave Udil before he lead the dwarves to their deaths. Perhaps he sees this as my fault. But regardless, I wish simply to correct him as to his little mistake."

Gren listened at some length as Feros' avatar gave a full account of the healing of the world, including his part and Udil's part in the restoration.  After several minutes Feros finished and the dwarf considered his words.

"I offer you my most abject apologies, God of the Wilds.  I had misjudged you based on our first encounter.  Your very presence here speaks to your willingness to treat with mortals fairly, so I freely accept what you have to say.  On behalf of the Council of Three, I hereby recognise the actions of yourself, Udil-Volondor and all other gods involving in the healing of Despair.  You have our gratitude, though our worship each man will determine for himself."

Kar'lan hears the call of Gren, and fades to the location of the meeting.  "Greetings, Gren Gransson.  I sincerely hope that this does not turn into the event that marked the meeting of the Gods, and there is able to be peace this time."
Aleena's hears the faint call of a soul. Like Traurig's it was strong, yet small. It called out for a cknvene of the Gods. Aldemas would attend, however wary of the others. When he arrived, many of the beings were far stronger than he. And he waited for others to come as well.
He noticed Volondor along with the familiar faces.
"What is it you want Mortal? No matter, for I shall listen."

"I thank you, Aldemas and Kar'lan, for honouring us with your presence.  Light and Rebirth are welcome at this Council.  Your counsel and wisdom may light the way to a new future for all."

Now, let us debate."

"Thank you, Volondor, for attending on behalf of yourself, Udil and Vanidia.  Your presence is key to this council."

Gren addressed the table as a whole.

"Three hundred years past the goddess Vanidia launched the Father's Halls at this city, Spireright, out of malicious intent to destroy all who lived within.  The goddess then appeared to the Council of Three, rulers of the Halls, announcing her action and intent.  A relatively short time thereafter, terrible wyrms of great size and flame began to ravage Eversummer.  Seeking to protect themselves, the Children of Thaneos warred against the wyrms and though it took near a hundred years were victorious.  Few wyrms now survive.  It seems likely that Vanidia was responsible for the attacks, unprovoked in both instances against the Children of Thaneos.

"The first issue to be brought to this council then is the matter of Vanidia's stated Vendetta.  She has sworn to put an end to all not of the Creator's making; all children of Thaneos, giant and karas alike.  So long as the goddess persists in her Vendetta, there can be no lasting peace in Eversummer.  We request that Vanidia withdraw her Vendetta and accept and acknowledge the right of the children of Thaneos to exist, and acknowledge the continent of Eversummer as their rightful home.  If not, the City and Halls will have no choice but to view her intent as a continuation of her existing war and act accordingly.  One of our war-machines was sufficient to deflect an attack by the goddess.  None of us can be sure of the effects of all twelve.

"The truth is that we do not want war, nor do any of us.  The last war between gods that mortals recorded saw the death of Thaneos and Az-Sho and the world plunged into fire and shadow.  Millions died.  Life in its myriad forms nearly came to an end.  There are still scars in the plains of Eversummer where it is said that Thaneos slew the Creator, and legends tell of a violent jungle to the frozen north where an ancient goddess died.  Whenever gods war, the world suffers.

"Legend holds that Thaneos created the Halls to protect Eversummer, to ensure that this one continent would remain free of the interventions of the gods.  We hold this to be a decision both wise and just, and wish it upheld once again.  Not merely for our own sake, or the sake of mortals as a whole, but for the gods also.

"Our second issue is that of marking Eversummer separate from the direct interventions of the gods as a whole, good or ill.  Eversummer should be a land for mortals, free for the races of man, dwarf, giant, karas and others to rise or fall on their own merits.  We do not deny the gods a place here, but it must be one that we invite.  We do not deny their teachings or influences; without the gift of knowledge Corvus gave, we could not have hoped to defeat the fire wyrms so cleanly or successfully.  Yet it was not Corvus' hands who built the Homunculus, nor his life that powers it.

"Let the gods send missionaries to Eversummer, let them send preachers or wise men.  Let them win the hearts of mortals in such a way that the mortal races might rise through their own effort, not grow stunted and beholden to divine masters.  Inspire rather than dominating.  Lead rather than drag.

"Ye gods have spoken also of the troubles that have wracked your own numbers, of the factioning and difficulties there faced.  Legend says that Thaneos tried to make of the Halls and Eversummer a peaceful place, a place where gods might gather without fear of one another.  Instead, the gods feared him and his dominion.  Perhaps this too can be resolved.

"Our third point is to give Eversummer the freedom of the gods; barred from intervention but free to walk and act in, so long as their actions do not exceed those of mortal men.  That they might win over others by speech and deed, but also that they might meet among themselves without fear of reprisal or subterfuge.  This is a peace that would be enforced, not by the will of any one God, but by mutual threat of those above and below - a god who broke the peace in Eversummer would needs face the wrath of all, including the mortals.

"These, then, are the three points we bring.

"First, to end Vanidia's vendetta and have her recognise the rights of all Children of Thaneos and other inhabitants of Eversummer to live and exist freely.  Only then can the Children safely come down from a war footing without a need to take preventative action.

"Second, to abjure the gods from intervening directly in the affairs of Eversummer, only interacting through mortal means or the words of their messengers.

"Third, to give the gods free passage of Eversummer and assure one and all that any who break the peace by attacking another god or directly intervening will be punished; by destruction if necessary.

"Your thoughts on these points are welcome."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:13:53 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 19, 2013, 07:01:10 pm »

"None of these points go against the four standards I judge by, and all of those points contain great wisdom.  I can agree to each of those points without regret."

Kar'lan shifted in thought before continuing,

"While this may seem out of place in this conversation, I feel it is my duty to the souls of the dead to say this.  Even before Udil created his own afterlife for his and his pantheon's followers, there was a sharp decline in the number of souls arriving at the afterlife that I created.  I managed to trace the source to the Deadlands, where creatures who devour souls have come about.  I detected no ethereal signature of a diety utilizing an act in that area, so this has me worried.  All I know is that there is something happening out there.  Something that needs to be confronted to gaurantee the safety of the dead."
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 19, 2013, 07:15:11 pm »

[1,4,1,] AN OUTRAGE! No God is allowed to walk the Holy Lands of the Father again! Not Vanida, Not Corvus! None of them! Especially not UDIL! YOU God of Wrath! THe Father of the Giants has died and i have not seen a single action of you to try and bring him back! I demand that the Gods leave Eversummer for evermore or PAY WITH THEIR BLOOD FOR THEIR ARROGANCE

Hyperion was raging his body had taken a incredibly dark hue of red. Coeus felt obviously different

Hyperion we have to consid-

The Gods started this War. What did ever come good from any of them? Vanida has eternally carried the Madness of War in her. She opposed us and our Father at every turn. Udil who was grateful to take his help but then left him rotting in the Burning Ruins of the Fourth Continent! We do not need the Gods here never more.

[3-1] An Ambassador of the Firegiants strode forward, resplendent in the cold blue fires that made his beard and eyes. When he spoke his voice was that of crackling wood in a fire We agree with our Brothers. The Fire Giants have lived good enough without the Gods. All they did was steal our children and subject them to their rules. We demand reparation from the one named Corvus.

a deep sigh came from Coeus
Thus it is. The Giants have spoken. We demand the Banishment of the Gods from Eversummer. And for a Peace with Vanida and Udil we demand that you bring back the Allfather. Nothing else will be accepted as offer of peace.

Silence among the Karas. Looks are exchanged, heads shaken, Heads nodded, a few growls released.

[4] "The Karas abstain. We do not wish to add to the discord."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 19, 2013, 07:31:27 pm »

Udil-Volondor looked at the assembly and spoke to Gren. With god of craft and arts in control, he was taken over by understanding and desire to mend the way somewhat. The wars were destructive, thats true, but peace demands sacrifices from all to make it last.

"Gren, my son. Those are intriguing words and demands that you make. But don't you suppose you only create antagonism by trying to enforce a will of a dead god? By holding to an ideal that is empty? Don't you see that everything that is being done on this world is by merit of gods? How can you blatantly deny that mortals rise and fall by our might?
I love your gumption, son, but  even you got to realize that neutrality is not worth the price, not the one the people of Eversummer will pay and not the one you will have to bear. 

Let it be known that I still posses the power of the divine jailer and that the current Overgod made me as his representative in this universe. I seek to stabilize it as much as you do.

I want to make one thing clear about our powers, influence and words that have been said and done so far since fall of Aodun or even before. My rise was not so much a product of Udil's ambition but as much as a fear of suffering and pain that mortals, especially dwarves had to go though. They were beset from all sides by gods that took them in, mutated them into fire beasts, shades and others. Udil put all of them down, save for one - Az-sho, who was felled personally by Thaneos with his last blow.
After Aodun, I descended back to the world and put my entire being to restore it and its mortals, who were but helpless babes ready to be slaughtered. My being exists because and for the dwarves.
The same cannot be said of Corvus, who selfishly locked himself on a far-away moon, fueled only by paranoia and hate, forsaking the world and acting through agents, who are unaware of their position. God of knowledge who lives in fear is but a warped shadow of his sphere, misguided and hateful.

Vanida's war is unwarranted however, but she saw it as the only way to remove all those who were not Firstborn of the Creator, as to ensure safety of the world and the viability of Eversummer for new life. Let us set aside old hatreds and join forces. Do not isolate Eversummer for it will be an eternal battleground, ripped apart by all those seeking it. Mortals of this world already rally under my rule and Vanida blesses them, while Lo improves them and Feros brings protection to the north. We tend to the sea, we resurrect dead deities and peoples. Hatred against Udil is not outweighed by the good done. Commit the giants and yourself to my pantheon, and Eversummer can be a land as you see it, free for all sentients to live in. Do that, and the vendetta will be over and the world united in one embrace."

He then turned to the giants.
"Watch your tone now. Allfather sided with me and I did as much as I could to safeguard the world. If it were in my power I would save him, but I cannot. For I wasn't always a god. but the tides of time saw me grow, change and arrive at this point. Right now you are the only ones demanding war, even though Wise Gren here declared desire for peace. You cannot bar me entry anywhere, it is by my grace that the world still lives and i am still here, dealing with you. either accept the chage and make amends with us as we desire with you, or be responsible for your own fall.
Gren, my son, you are a witness to this - I am willing to bury the hate and have Vanida forsake the vendetta and bring peace to you under my aegis. Giants live in the past. Do not let the past ruin you, for it s only full of death."

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 61