Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22

Author Topic: Golem Smith  (Read 24824 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Golem Smith
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2013, 11:09:43 pm »

Have to jump in now, sorry.

GWG, you realize of course, that it isn't that simple? I don't mean to be rude, but you have to take into account that if the golems ever move, anything that might be contained in the legs or arms is fucked, so only the torsos can effectively contain stuff, unless they aren't supposed to move, which would be pointless to have a golem for it in that case. The floors take up quite a bit of space, people will want quite a bit of space, any ladders and other stairs, stuff like that, takes up space...

You are being quite generous with your space though, but that wasn't the point. If we were to make a 50,000 foot tall, 2 foot wide, 1 foot thick golem, that would be 100,000 feet. Not very realistic,must the point is that you can't merely measure it in cubic feet; there will be wasted space, as humans don't like living in spheres...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2013, 11:28:38 pm »

Have to jump in now, sorry.

GWG, you realize of course, that it isn't that simple? I don't mean to be rude, but you have to take into account that if the golems ever move, anything that might be contained in the legs or arms is fucked, so only the torsos can effectively contain stuff, unless they aren't supposed to move, which would be pointless to have a golem for it in that case. The floors take up quite a bit of space, people will want quite a bit of space, any ladders and other stairs, stuff like that, takes up space...
1. The floors and ceilings were accounted for in the 10-foot height-per-room.
2. These are just rough estimates.
3. Where did you expect this to be anywhere near practical again?

You are being quite generous with your space though, but that wasn't the point. If we were to make a 50,000 foot tall, 2 foot wide, 1 foot thick golem, that would be 100,000 feet. Not very realistic,must the point is that you can't merely measure it in cubic feet; there will be wasted space, as humans don't like living in spheres...
Again, this is just estimates. Think of it as a Fermi problem for golem cities.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2013, 11:48:18 pm »

Well, a golem city could work. Maybe if the golem was absolutely massive (smaller than a regular city, since you have 3 dimensions to work with instead of 2), with an outer shell and an inner city contained within a gigantic gyroscope.

What would be more effective is a gigantic turtle like golem. It would be basically a massive bubble possibly with tiered edges with legs, with the farms on the outside tiered edges of the bubble, housing in the middle of the bubble, commerce centers in the lower bubble, and industrial sectors at the top of the bubble.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:52:12 pm by Jbg97 »
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:53 pm »

I didn't expect to be practical. I just saw numbers about cubic feet in referring to cities and living space and it made my eyebrow raise of it's own volition, the hairs of which then proceeded to begin taking over my brain.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 24, 2013, 02:22:00 am »

Clay, earth sigil
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 24, 2013, 05:09:41 am »

sandstone, water sigil.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2013, 06:06:38 am »

sandstone, water sigil.
Earth only.
So sandstone, earth.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2013, 03:35:36 pm »

Our giant city golem should fly, thus giving the people living inside it a smooth and comfortable ride.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2013, 06:17:58 pm »

I didn't expect to be practical. I just saw numbers about cubic feet in referring to cities and living space and it made my eyebrow raise of it's own volition, the hairs of which then proceeded to begin taking over my brain.
Again, Fermi problem. (You know, the kind where you consider it a success if you're less than an order of magnitude off.)

Our giant city golem should fly, thus giving the people living inside it a smooth and comfortable ride.
That would solve several issues.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2013, 11:22:38 am »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2013, 03:31:39 pm »

Alright.

You form the large body out of clay, the head a spire, having two sets of arms, one spines, the others simple hands. the body is as tall as an average man. You hollow out a part in its chest, placing the sigil it took two days to carve inside of it, with the runes delicately engraved in it. once inserted, the clay closes around it, the body taking life and eyes beginning to glow.
In total, it took 4 1/4 days.
HP- 33
Sigil HP- 20
takes 3 extra damage from slashing
takes 1 less damage from blunt
Attack focus- 70% to hit
Counter focus- 40% to counter
Defense focus- 30% additional chance to dodge, 20% chance to hit.
Spine- 1d8-1 damage
Grasper- 1d4 damage

You smile at your completed work. Stepping back to examine its body, you suddenly realize you have about 2 and 3/4 days left for doing things. You could probably aid in the festival preparations, or maybe hunt more. Really, you could do anything. You do however, have to be there to present the gift for the guild representative.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2013, 03:35:35 pm »

Build 500 spine-equipped tiny golems. Give them to the baron.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2013, 03:37:59 pm »

... really?

make some small grasper-armed golems for servants for the baron.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2013, 03:40:15 pm »

What the stat block on our first one?

aid in the festival preparations
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2013, 04:16:18 pm »

aid in the festival preparations
Also, if possible, research the upper and lower limits of golem creation. Fine golems? Golems the size of cities? Quadrupedal, vermiform, swimming, or flying golems? Golems made of gems, sand, ice, etc?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22