Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Citys  (Read 5610 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Citys
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 04:32:27 pm »

You American's. Next you'll be asking me what irony means.  :D.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 04:36:06 pm »

You American's. Next you'll be asking me what irony means.  :D.

European actually. (Besides, America isn't the country of the great cities. It's the country of the great suburbania)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 04:38:27 pm »

Then i heckle thee for not knowing English whys and wherefores as is your duty! Edit: points for disdain (edit: to the outside world), however.

Also, joke.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:42:17 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 04:40:44 pm »

??

There are parts of Europe that don't speak English natively, you know.

Also, Cities

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 04:50:30 pm »

It's interesting, seeing the divide between small cities and the big ones. I've lived in Maseru, the capital of Lesotho, a small country landlocked by South Africa and ringed by mountains, and i can safely say that I've never felt claustrophobic. There are a lot of people, sure, but the lack of tall buildings and the low level of development always gave me much less of a urban feel then that of say an English town. Limerick, in the republic of Ireland, only made me really feel like i was in the city in the comparatively small city center. Then you go to London, and the throngs of people give that feeling regardless of where you are. Whosoever voiced it here is right, a lot of the feel of the place depends on the mass of people.
Reading a thinner book

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 08:36:25 pm »

What is this? I don't even...
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:09 am »

Cities live in the near future, constantly striving for the far future. They sometimes forget about stepping on others' toes.

Country living is a lot about living in the present, and when you're old living in the past, the good times. It's a lot slower, takes time to gently trot along lest you stir up too many leaves.

Suburb living is the worst of both worlds. Not fast enough to be fun or difficult, but not slow enough to be relaxing and simple. It's a shame, really. Should split areas into circles of urban living and country living. Relaxation and contraction. A natural pattern, if you will.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 07:10:42 am »

Ancre, if i may ask, what happened with the protest against gay marriage in Paris? I heard it had a lot of demonstrators, who we're assuring the press they weren't homophobic.  ::). Please use this as a launching pad to discuss Paris and France's society at this point if you wish.

Gay marriage is a very polarizing issue here. France still have a large catholic population, who's usually conservative, and they organized a big demonstration against gay marriage in Paris and other major big cities. Demonstrators expected at least 350 000 people, so the official (government) people counting is 340 000, which doesn't fool anyone (unofficial and probably more real number is around 500 000 - 800 000 ; the government always underestimates the number of people, and demonstrators always overestimate it).

That's about it. I don't think it will change much in what the government wants to do - Hollande was elected president and had gay marriage as one of his goals, and it's probably easier to do than the other "fix the economy" goals he had.

As for Paris and France in general, uh, I don't know where to start ... It's a lot different from the US in many ways. Paris probably looks more like New York than any other us city, with the very dense population, the high rent prices, and the public transportation that makes cars unnecessary.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have, I'll do my best to answer them.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12:46 am »

I like my city. Lima has about 10 million people, and it's just lovely.

I just can't understand how people call stuff with less than a million a "city" :D (then there's the whole "cities" thing in the US where there's like 500 "cities" next to each other... such as in Miami and surroundings. I mean, what's up with that? we call those Districts).

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 10:26:38 am »

Pff, my entire country has a population of 2 million people.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 11:36:49 am »

I just can't understand how people call stuff with less than a million a "city" :D (then there's the whole "cities" thing in the US where there's like 500 "cities" next to each other... such as in Miami and surroundings. I mean, what's up with that? we call those Districts).

It's probably just the way these cities grew. I don't know about the US, but in France, having a bunch of 'cities' next to each other happens because 100 years ago all those cities were nothing but villages and countrysides, and population growth turned them into what's basically one giant city.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 12:16:52 pm »

It's probably just the way these cities grew. I don't know about the US, but in France, having a bunch of 'cities' next to each other happens because 100 years ago all those cities were nothing but villages and countrysides, and population growth turned them into what's basically one giant city.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hollywood%2C+FL

Srsly...

(I stayed there for like 2 months. That's... really just a few city blocks. I'm pretty sure many of those "cities" are created just for administrative purposes)

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 12:35:32 pm »

Suburbs, Sergius.  They leech off of the core cities in each area.  That's why it is best to use Urbanized Area or Metropolitan Area when dealing with the size of U.S. cities, otherwise some seem much larger or smaller than they actually are.

EDIT: Also, many metros have regional government entities that have some influence over the numerous communities in the defined area.
Example: Met Council.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:41:06 pm by Jervill »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 01:50:43 pm »

So there are no cities in the Netherlands :P?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:31 pm »

So there are no cities in the Netherlands :P?
Depends, If you define a city based on average population density half of Belgium/The netherlands would be one big city. (In essence, this might actually be correct)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4