Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Citys  (Read 5607 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Citys
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 06:02:04 am »

As a londoner, I personally like it quite a lot. One of the biggest bonuses to living in a city is the public transportation system, and the ability to have so many places just within walking distance. The biggest downside would have to be that living in London costs a fair bit more than most places, but wages are correspondingly higher, which mitigates that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 08:10:48 am »

Cities have a lot going for them (you need that critical mass of population to really get centers of art, entertainment, fine dining, etc.)
They also tend to produce more cosmopolitan worldviews and political leanings, because it's hard(er) to be a close-minded xenophobe when you have a variety of different kinds of people around you.

But past a certain size limit, cities become soul-crushing IMHO. First time I flew into Los Angeles, I looked out the window when we were still a couple thousand feet up, and I'm like "Wow...the city goes on all the way to the horizon!"
Then I looked out the other side of the airplane, and saw the same thing. That kinda terrified me for some reason -- a city that seemed to stretch into infinity in all directions.

Then I went to Manhattan, and saw buildings that disappeared into the clouds, canyons of concrete and steel and glass. For some reason, that didn't terrify me so much as just make my jaw hang open.

Then I went to Shanghai, and saw what Manhattan would look like if it was the size of Los Angeles. And I wound up feeling physically ill from the sheer scale of it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:17:15 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 08:58:28 am »

Lived regional (eg, not remote, 10K resident town in a country area) and in the city. City is thew way to go :P
Sure, you can probably make friends easier in the country, but there's only one type of people to make friends with. Not to mention, as others have mentioned, lack of services. I might have to drive across the city sometimes to get something, but if I need almost anything, I can get it. Cars, computers, healthcare, building materials, advice, entertainment, whatever.

We do have the whole, "city going over the horizon" thing here, but its not particularly dense, like, say, LA is. Doesn't really phase me. This image gives a good overview. Just the south side, and not even the Gold Coast.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Magma is overrated.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 09:36:03 am »

Now that we're building some rails (amazingly, given your intellects  ;)), it seems to me big cities, the famous ones in particular have an aura about them that you can damn near anything you're after, anytime. How true is that? I would have said it's easier to make friends simply because there's more of them. Bear in mind this is biased due to my exceedingly high standards for much above relatively decent person I'll talk too every now and then. People in the country, in England at least, have a tendency to be either quite friendly or xenophobic, and I'm in the former. However, it is in the country. I'm thankful i don't have to explain that on this forum. Anyone gone to Uni in a city? I'm hoping that if i do pull it off, things will be significantly more interesting.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 09:44:55 am »

Did go to Uni in a city, but Brisbane is a different beast to a city like london, so i doubt i have any useful advice, apart from: its what you make of it.
Magma is overrated.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 09:56:15 am »

I'm french, I lived most of my life in Paris, where I still am today. I've lived in Los Angeles for a few years and in rural Georgia for a while too.

I kinda like Paris. Just walking around is fun and I do so from time to time. There's a lot to see, especially if you like architecture like me. It's very easy to go around, with the huge subway system and the high number of bus lines we have. You can probably reach any point in Paris in thirty minutes or so. And I don't need a car, which is a big plus for me. We have very large museums as well, it's easy to find clubs or groups to roleplay or play wargames, overall it is nice to live here. I don't have many friends, but I guess it's easier to make some in Paris because there's a lot of people so I'm bound to find someone with whom I share interests. There are some drawbacks - notably, renting a place cost a fortune and in consequences many apartments are very small. But I don't mind.

Cities do not always work the same way everywhere though, and being in Paris is very different from being in LA, for example. LA have  many individual houses, while Paris have a lot of buildings - it doesn't look the same at all. You have to have a car in LA, and the distances are much bigger I've found. Instead of overpopulated subway lines during rush hour, you had lots of traffic there. But there's also a lot of things that are similar too.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 11:06:45 am »

I've lived in a city(?) of ~180k people (+700 per square kilometre) all my life. I think it's pretty neat. Like people have already said, everything's within biking distance, goods and services are widely available and there are plenty of places to go and people to see. I suppose the worst thing is crime. Even so, it's confined to a few "bad" neighbourhoods and if you mind your manners and act smart, the risk of getting into a drunken fist fight or junkie mugging is low. It's pretty smooth living, all things considered.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 11:11:51 am »

Yeah, LA is a classic example of the "American" city. Meaning a big urban sprawl that's generally less than 150-200 years old. Because land was cheap, they built out rather than up. In the Northeast US, the bigger cities are old enough (~300-400 years) that they ran out of room to expand and starting growing up instead.

European cities tend to be a lot more compact just because they're so old that the "footprint" of the city is long established, and it was a footprint based on pedestrian and horse traffic.

Asian cities tend to be even more tightly compacted, but still can have a very large footprint just because of the sheer population (~23 million in Shanghai proper, 39-41 million in the Tokyo-Yokohama megapol, 28 million in the greater Jakarta metro).

I grew up in what had been rural dairy farming land, but was steadily annexed and swallowed up by the "city" of High Point, which now has a population of 104,000+. Back then, it was around 63,000. Not much of a town, to be honest. We did everything in its larger neighbor city, Greensboro (current pop. 273,000, back then about 150,000). Even though they're just a few miles apart, there used to be a distinct seperation between the two. If you took the main road between them, you were on a two-lane road with barely any streetlights, through dense forest with a few scattered houses, all with acres and acres of land, private ponds, etc. There was a very tangible line between "city" and "countryside". Now, if you miss the tiny green sign telling you where the city limits are, you wouldn't even know it was two seperate cities.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 03:28:18 pm »

I have a general idea, but can someone give me a breakdown of how they find people living in the cities on the east coast? I know they're democrats etc., but it's the quintessential impression of American Cities in the rest of the world and I'd like to know how it compares to the hype.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:30:26 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 03:32:49 pm »

Seriously, stop spamming this forums with pointless threads, thread count does not make you cool.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 03:35:04 pm »

Ancre, if i may ask, what happened with the protest against gay marriage in Paris? I heard it had a lot of demonstrators, who we're assuring the press they weren't homophobic.  ::). Please use this as a launching pad to discuss Paris and France's society at this point if you wish.

DarkWolfXV, I'm full aware of that. Burn me for digging into the experiences and knowledge of people i deem interesting. What other point is there? There are easier ways to sate an ego. Perhaps the fact that I've persisted despite your moaning should give you a hint.
Reading a thinner book

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 03:48:11 pm »

ptw...wait!?
Seriously, stop spamming this forums with pointless threads, thread count does not make you cool.
what the fuck? this has been an interesting thread, i'd thank you if you'd stay out of it if you don't care for it. being a douchebag on the internet doesn't make you cool

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 04:06:42 pm »

ptw...wait!?
what the fuck? this has been an interesting thread, i'd thank you if you'd stay out of it if you don't care for it. being a douchebag on the internet doesn't make you cool

To be fair, most of the threads that novel has created have become good because the community did some hard work to make them topical, not because of a short topic and one sentence in the OP followed by "discuss!"
Magma is overrated.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 04:22:16 pm »

Which is the point. Unless we make a questions thread (which would quickly be submerged), how else am i going to do this? I'm not approaching this forum to inform but to learn, and that's the idea of the threads.
Reading a thinner book

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 04:30:06 pm »

It's fine to ask questions, but it might be a bit exagerated. Could try improving the OP's a bit.

((I mean,we had to guess what the topic was about.))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4