Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random power source  (Read 1110 times)

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
Random power source
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:28:42 pm »

Hello, Bay12ers. I've had an quite awesome idea today.
Certain people could be blessed or cursed by gods or demons to have their power [physical, mental, magical, life or anything else] tied to various kind of sources.
I've thought about some examples:

*Existance of an object: The individual's power is tied directly to the existance and/or safety of some object, be it an artifact lead grate or an ordinary microline earring.

*Life of another being: Like the previous, but the life of another being as the source this time. The current health of the other being is what controls the individual's power.

*The existance of a entire species: The power come from the whole word population of some specie. It could be something common, like deers, humans, carps or something epic like dragons. This could lead to cool storylines like someone with this curse/bless siding with dragons for his own safety.

*Eating or drinking something daily/monthly/yearly: Much like the current vampires does, but not only for blood. It could be anything edible, from plump helmet to demon's meat.

This is it for now, but such idea could always be expanded with more blesses/curses or with scenarios that could arise with this.
And I'm not even sorry about my bad english this time.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Random power source
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:24:05 am »

Some of these sounds pretty neat, and more kinds of magic is always good. Expecially when it lets people mimic liches and such.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:38:44 am »

Yes, I like this.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

dragondorker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 01:26:35 pm »

How about the more obvious example which is already in the game? Tie the life of a species to the health of some environment.

Elf race should be tied to the number/volume of trees in their area. That's a reasonable explanation for their reluctance to let dwarves cut more trees than is necessary.

You could also have the health/power of a species tied to the size of a monument to a god. You know all those megaprojects you do? Now they have a point. Larger pyramids or more luxuriously decorated temples (gem windows, gold altars) result in a more powerful god, which presumably helps your people out in some way.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:28:58 pm »

How about the more obvious example which is already in the game? Tie the life of a species to the health of some environment.

Elf race should be tied to the number/volume of trees in their area. That's a reasonable explanation for their reluctance to let dwarves cut more trees than is necessary.

You could also have the health/power of a species tied to the size of a monument to a god. You know all those megaprojects you do? Now they have a point. Larger pyramids or more luxuriously decorated temples (gem windows, gold altars) result in a more powerful god, which presumably helps your people out in some way.
Maybe not a civilization race tied to environment, but friendly species of that race? Tree spirits or dryads or what-have-you in the case you offered up?
Actually... Elves already were naming some of the local trees before their sites got blanked out until the upcoming version... So.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:16:49 pm »

*Existance of an object: The individual's power is tied directly to the existance and/or safety of some object, be it an artifact lead grate or an ordinary microline earring.

*Life of another being: Like the previous, but the life of another being as the source this time. The current health of the other being is what controls the individual's power.

Horcruxes, anyone?

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:51:08 pm »

I like this idea. A thing related to this could be weaknesses that instead of keeping you alive hurt you or a beast/ cursed person. Or the cursed thing could have to consume a certain resource or thing to stay alive and strong.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »

Horcruxes, anyone?
Or phylacteries.

Maybe not a civilization race tied to environment, but friendly species of that race? Tree spirits or dryads or what-have-you in the case you offered up?
Actually... Elves already were naming some of the local trees before their sites got blanked out until the upcoming version... So.
Dryads would be nice to see.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 01:37:18 pm »

I like this idea. A thing related to this could be weaknesses that instead of keeping you alive hurt you or a beast/ cursed person. Or the cursed thing could have to consume a certain resource or thing to stay alive and strong.

Or possibly, consume a certain energy, in a specific manner, ie ritual. specific ritual must be performed monthly or God will utilize other method of feeding, consuming dwarves, environment, resources, happy thoughts, etc.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 03:01:23 pm »

*The existance of a entire species: The power come from the whole word population of some specie. It could be something common, like deers, humans, carps or something epic like dragons. This could lead to cool storylines like someone with this curse/bless siding with dragons for his own safety.
Alternatively, an entire(probably randomly generated) species could exist becouse a certain entity does. Demons creating monsters, certain elves creating creatures out of wood etc.

*Eating or drinking something daily/monthly/yearly: Much like the current vampires does, but not only for blood. It could be anything edible, from plump helmet to demon's meat.
Nobles that get this curse this should mandate the heck out of it, while dwarves should try to produce it(if there is a shortage) when others aren't looking. Your broker could trade for it behind your back, and the same goes for laison conversations.
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

Psuedonym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 03:23:55 am »

Nobles that get this curse this should mandate the heck out of it, while dwarves should try to produce it(if there is a shortage) when others aren't looking. Your broker could trade for it behind your back, and the same goes for laison conversations.
This.