Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 89

Author Topic: You are an evil entity (suggestion game)  (Read 114551 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are an evil entity (suggestion game)
« Reply #630 on: May 30, 2013, 03:26:22 pm »

I want to say that we should order one cultist to buy that plant that makes that fire-venom thingy. We can use it in arrows and make them pass as fireballs. We can then blame the mage's mob for that.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 30, 2013, 11:39:28 pm »

Sometimes, the most horrible and terrifying monsters...are the ones who look just like you and I, but aren't.
The issue is that we already are exactly that. Mongoose fills that role quite nicely. There really isn't any reason at all to have a backup humanoid form when the world is already filled with backup humanoid forms for us to choose from.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 30, 2013, 11:58:17 pm »

Yes, but all our back up humanoids can fight the process. A risk free form is always a better form than one that can fight it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 31, 2013, 12:35:23 am »

It shouldn't ever be difficult to find a host. Gettign a specific host is tricky, but just randomly grabbing someone and keeping them awake for a few days should get us an easy host. Bonus points if we use lures designed to catch weak-willed types...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 31, 2013, 06:30:56 am »

Sometimes, the most horrible and terrifying monsters...are the ones who look just like you and I, but aren't.
The issue is that we already are exactly that. Mongoose fills that role quite nicely. There really isn't any reason at all to have a backup humanoid form when the world is already filled with backup humanoid forms for us to choose from.
Firstly, Mongoose is human. Nice little issue with that theory there. Secondly, we won't always have access to Mongoose or another host. Thirdly, the creep factor is lost somewhat if the monster's True Form is monstrous.

It shouldn't ever be difficult to find a host. Gettign a specific host is tricky, but just randomly grabbing someone and keeping them awake for a few days should get us an easy host. Bonus points if we use lures designed to catch weak-willed types...
Yes, because these people never have loved ones or comrades who would mind if their friend or family-member started acting really weird and deserted their home, which wouldn't be suspicious at all.

Remind me, why do we need a monstrous form again? To be good at combat--well, if we really want that, despite the fact that we've mostly left that to others when possible in the past, we can have our human form be unnaturally strong or have poisoned claws on its fingers or something. (And if we can't have that as a human, we can't have it as an inhuman, so there's still no advantage to being such.) To terrify others--what kind of evil entity are we that we need to look scary to scare our victims? To make absolutely certain that we will be dependent on having a host if we want to interact with the world, and make sure that we can't go around the countryside hostless--that's the biggest disadvantage, incidentally.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 31, 2013, 06:59:43 am »

I really don't see why we would need to be hostless, unless we are being scanned for possession, in which case a manifesting demon would have to be detectable too... We would not associate with our host's former acquaintances unless pressed, would typically choose hosts who lacked social support, and have done perfectly well at mimicking our hosts thus far. Mongoose being literally human really doesn't seem to be an issue to me. In combat, it would be less about potency, though form is a factor and human could be improved upon, and more about varied abilities. There are many physical abilities outside of combat, we already have cultists if we need human abilities, but if we need to pull something along a narrow drainage pipe without being detected, or stretch up to reach something two storeys above us, or fly, or have folk turn into stone if they look at us, or swim indefinitely(Actually, I expect that water currently represents a significant obstruction to our gaseous form, an aquatic form would probably be ideal.), or fight armed opponents when unarmed(Which really requires some form hardened body part, which is fine for a claw, but harden your whole arm and it impacts your mobility...), or hide where a human couldn't, or be worn as clothing, or be identified as a peaceful woodland creature with an antidote to all toxins... As for social engagements, If our true form becomes known, and it is human, then others might suppose that we really are human, and if they believe that we chose to be human, then what does that say to dwarves? Or elves? Or mermaids or orcs or goblins or pixies or minotaurs or 'obbits or humans of a different age, gender, racial group, height, hair or eye colour, build, proportions or anything else that might catch their eye and ire? When we could choose anything, being just like everyone else is a wasted opportunity. I vote sea serpent!
Read the First Post!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 31, 2013, 08:01:26 am »

I really don't see why we would need to be hostless, unless we are being scanned for possession, in which case a manifesting demon would have to be detectable too... We would not associate with our host's former acquaintances unless pressed, would typically choose hosts who lacked social support, and have done perfectly well at mimicking our hosts thus far. Mongoose being literally human really doesn't seem to be an issue to me. In combat, it would be less about potency, though form is a factor and human could be improved upon, and more about varied abilities. There are many physical abilities outside of combat, we already have cultists if we need human abilities, but if we need to pull something along a narrow drainage pipe without being detected, or stretch up to reach something two storeys above us, or fly, or have folk turn into stone if they look at us, or swim indefinitely(Actually, I expect that water currently represents a significant obstruction to our gaseous form, an aquatic form would probably be ideal.), or fight armed opponents when unarmed(Which really requires some form hardened body part, which is fine for a claw, but harden your whole arm and it impacts your mobility...), or hide where a human couldn't, or be worn as clothing, or be identified as a peaceful woodland creature with an antidote to all toxins... As for social engagements, If our true form becomes known, and it is human, then others might suppose that we really are human, and if they believe that we chose to be human, then what does that say to dwarves? Or elves? Or mermaids or orcs or goblins or pixies or minotaurs or 'obbits or humans of a different age, gender, racial group, height, hair or eye colour, build, proportions or anything else that might catch their eye and ire? When we could choose anything, being just like everyone else is a wasted opportunity. I vote sea serpent!
Okay, I can get behind the sea serpent thing so long as it has high mobility on land. And regarding your point about moving along something narrow undetected, we can always use the gaseous form. In fact their are still things we haven't tried yet, like spreading out so thin we look like a slight discoloration in the air.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 31, 2013, 09:12:55 am »

Yes, it occurred to me after I had thought of it that we could just gaseous through narrow passages, but then I thought that we might want to take something with us. We could, I dunno, have a snake form and wriggle down pipes dragging a wand in our tail or something. But anyway, sea serpent on land is a bit of a trick. Generally speaking, critters either breath water or air. There are exceptions, especially mythical exceptions, hrmmm, I suppose Jormungandr already exists... Well, we could just cheat and have one of those serpents that can fly just because. I think that you can qualify as a sea serpent with a diameter of only about four metres, you could get around on land with that. Sea serpents have massive great hungry, and classically reptilian, mouths and snake bodies, which suggest standard lungs, but they also often get depicted with gills, so we could make a pass at having both... I get the impression, though it may just be me, that sea serpents have short tails, tapering off much more abruptly than snakes typically do...
Read the First Post!

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 31, 2013, 10:33:34 am »

Regarding the issue of what it means to Elves, Dwarves, Fae, Etc. To me that seems to imply that we found the human form to be the most deceptive of all.
Elves will probably think themselves above others, Dwarves probably don't give a shit what we look like and the Fae... Nobody knows about the Fae's views.
But im getting off course. We choose human because they usually have the reputation of being anything from the kindest of saints to the most corrupt bastards.
Others wont raise an eye at rumors of a human killing, As it probably happens on a regular enough basis that it's a common ocurrence*Chough*Adventurers*Chough*.
Another plus is that as a human we won't be as easy to identify from other humans, Especially to non-humans(the "you all look the same" thingy-majyg), We could also be able hide in a crowd if we need to get away quickly (this is assuming we are in a place where humans are at a majority).

I'm pretty sure i can come up with more reasons if i think about it, But for now im done.

Have a good day fine sir's.

Kitten Snot

• Bay Watcher
  • In need of literary skill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 31, 2013, 11:27:32 am »

Alright, I am going to put as a thin tall man with slight reptilian characteristics. For example, he has vertical pupils, and his skin look scaly up close(said skin is also tougher then basic human leather). There's this mild thing that just a little bit wrong about him that would ennerve anyone quickly, but demon ancestry is common enough that people wont start burning you at the stake just for looking a bit "off".
When being chased by a tall, hissing man with a larger amount of toughness then any normal human, I'd personally be scared.
I make stories and sometimes people like them.
Well, they did that once.
I think.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 31, 2013, 12:02:49 pm »

Meh.  +1 sea serpent myself.  That seems like a cooler idea. 

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 31, 2013, 12:09:08 pm »

Can we go with an amorphous physical form?  One that can move underwater or on land and is slightly blob like so it's hard to hurt with weapons.  We could also form arms, legs and other stuff like that if we needed to but normally we would just get around my slithering around like a little fast moving amorphous eel.  Oh and with a form like that we could slither into peoples' mouths in combat to possess them or eat them from the inside out, almost like a horror movie.

Edit: Spelling
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:15:29 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 31, 2013, 04:03:16 pm »

I really don't see why we would need to be hostless, unless we are being scanned for possession, in which case a manifesting demon would have to be detectable too...
Because Mongoose is mortal. Because he can be captured and we may need to succeed. Because any of a thousand things could happen which deprives us of our host or even our whole cult, and because we can't expect the universe to give us anything we need, no matter how much we need it.

We would not associate with our host's former acquaintances unless pressed, would typically choose hosts who lacked social support, and have done perfectly well at mimicking our hosts thus far.
What makes you think it would be our choice, would we then scan our potential host for however long it takes to determine they don't have any relationships, and would we then toss aside our cultish desires for the sake of the masquerade.

Mongoose being literally human really doesn't seem to be an issue to me.
There's another factor that's harder to put into words. Basically, if we are actually a horrible monster and just inhabit a human, if forced out of or leaving the human body we become "killable," not to mention less chilling and fearful. To explain the latter...have you ever seen Resident Evil 4? Were you more afraid of the human-but-supernatural Wesker or those weird zombies with the deadly tentacle things?

In combat, it would be less about potency, though form is a factor and human could be improved upon, and more about varied abilities.
Which ones would we be unable to add to a supernatural human form?

There are many physical abilities outside of combat,
Which ones would we be unable to add to a supernatural human form?

we already have cultists if we need human abilities,
So, we're going to become dependent on a resource we can't guarantee the longevity or loyalty of?

but if we need to pull something along a narrow drainage pipe without being detected,
...Why? And snakes aren't too good at that...

or stretch up to reach something two storeys above us,
How would a snake thing do that?

or fly,
How would a snake thing do that, and can't we do that in gaseous form?

or have folk turn into stone if they look at us, or swim indefinitely(Actually, I expect that water currently represents a significant obstruction to our gaseous form, an aquatic form would probably be ideal.), or fight armed opponents when unarmed(Which really requires some form hardened body part, which is fine for a claw, but harden your whole arm and it impacts your mobility...),
Why couldn't we add those to the supernatural human? For the last, such a human would do better than a snake.

or hide where a human couldn't,
Gaseous form.

or be worn as clothing,
Why?

or be identified as a peaceful woodland creature with an antidote to all toxins...
Why, and what's wrong with being identified as a hermit with an antidote to all toxins?

As for social engagements, If our true form becomes known, and it is human, then others might suppose that we really are human, and if they believe that we chose to be human, then what does that say to dwarves? Or elves? Or mermaids or orcs or goblins or pixies or minotaurs or 'obbits or humans of a different age, gender, racial group, height, hair or eye colour, build, proportions or anything else that might catch their eye and ire? When we could choose anything, being just like everyone else is a wasted opportunity. I vote sea serpent!
Why would this matter? And, for that matter, did you note that I was also suggesting forms which could easily pass for human in proper clothing?

Generally speaking, critters either breath water or air. There are exceptions,
Cutaneous respiration and modifications. Heck, even some turtles can breathe underwater.

Well, we could just cheat and have one of those serpents that can fly just because.
Couldn't we be a human/oid that flies just because?

I think that you can qualify as a sea serpent with a diameter of only about four metres, you could get around on land with that.
Oh, yes, great for dragging stuff down narrow pipes and hiding places humans can't...

Alright, I am going to put as a thin tall man with slight reptilian characteristics. For example, he has vertical pupils, and his skin look scaly up close(said skin is also tougher then basic human leather). There's this mild thing that just a little bit wrong about him that would ennerve anyone quickly, but demon ancestry is common enough that people wont start burning you at the stake just for looking a bit "off".
When being chased by a tall, hissing man with a larger amount of toughness then any normal human, I'd personally be scared.
Well, we can pass for semi-normal, so this is good enough for me.

Can we go with an amorphous physical form?  One that can move underwater or on land and is slightly blob like so it's hard to hurt with weapons.  We could also form arms, legs and other stuff like that if we needed to but normally we would just get around my slithering around like a little fast moving amorphous eel.  Oh and with a form lik that we could slither into peoples' mouths in combat to possess them or eat them from the inside out, almost like a horror movie.
Seems a bit OP...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 31, 2013, 04:32:13 pm »

Yes reptile-looking man is acceptable for a rough draft form.

WE CAN ALWAYS IMPROVE LATER

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 31, 2013, 05:21:41 pm »

Add in the toxin-delivering fingernails that can extend, please. That should be pretty cool, and easy to disguise.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 89