Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 1465 1466 [1467] 1468 1469 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3901633 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome
« Reply #21990 on: November 20, 2015, 12:20:35 pm »

egads! remind me to look over Cain's story again later
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #21991 on: November 20, 2015, 07:20:49 pm »

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:17:12 pm by flame99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Cain
« Reply #21992 on: November 21, 2015, 12:53:50 am »

Here's my theory:
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21993 on: November 21, 2015, 01:50:14 am »

re: Oric not needing the Target dead:

Perhaps not, but Soul Charge is generated in times of extreme emotion and stress. The eternal hunt for the Target provides those in ample quantities. Take Yaos. Their Soul Star drained Soul Charge constantly to power its function, eventually leading to them turning Willborn because they didn't jack up their Soul Charge with strong emotions and such. Putting someone's Soul Star in a power drainy seraphy thing for a while would probably have similar effects. People who aren't teenage girls or similarly dramatic individuals[Probably why Cherishs' Soul Star was used to power the Underside] can't consistently generate Soul Charge without external stimulation and aggravation. Plus, dying and being revived has a handy side effect: Wiping memories. Resetting FULLY after each Cycle prevents the Target, who has a powerful Soul Star, from upsetting the balance by having knowledge and power from the last time through. I agree that the primary reasons Oric wants the Target dead are fear and pride. He doesn't want the Target becoming more powerful then him. Despite his power, Oric is paranoid. He breaks up communication and cooperation between the Siblings, murders what non-Sibling allies we gather to us and is deathly afraid of the second weapon[Now mostly confirmed to be the Illborn Exchange]. Oric recreated the prison with himself as the Warden, but he remembers all too well how the Last Seraph was maimed and bound by the adventuring hero and their powerful Soul Star.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21994 on: November 21, 2015, 12:24:48 pm »

AGGGH NOOOOO!!!

Every time we've solved a theory craft challenge before, it's upgraded a soul star- the soul star of the person most relevant to the question.

Ciro's soul star has already been upgraded by a theory craft.

Solving this one will upgrade Oric's Soul Star!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #21995 on: November 21, 2015, 12:26:10 pm »

I begin to wonder if Oric's "prison cell" story was not intended for Ciro, but was instead for Riltia's benefit. Riltia's prison is the weird stalker obsession she has with Ciro, and to keep recreating it she'll side with Oric every time.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21996 on: November 21, 2015, 12:59:50 pm »

AGGGH NOOOOO!!!

Every time we've solved a theory craft challenge before, it's upgraded a soul star- the soul star of the person most relevant to the question.

Ciro's soul star has already been upgraded by a theory craft.

Solving this one will upgrade Oric's Soul Star!
That would be an amazing twist.

Also, we should try to Astral Influx to Riltia at some point, but with a caveat: the holder will prepare to swap perspective back to themselves once it's charged.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21997 on: November 21, 2015, 01:12:00 pm »

That might backfire. We lose control of characters we aren't in the perspective of--who's to say that our standing order to swap back won't be immediately forgotten once we get to Riltia?

Also, it'll probably be like the rest of the non-allied siblings; static'd out and inaccessible. Still, at the very least it might be worth taking a look at the influx's menu.

Also also, if the Influx is so powerful and important...Why did Ril steal the Exchange instead? I think we might be overselling it a little...

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21998 on: November 21, 2015, 03:00:40 pm »

That might backfire. We lose control of characters we aren't in the perspective of--who's to say that our standing order to swap back won't be immediately forgotten once we get to Riltia?

Also, it'll probably be like the rest of the non-allied siblings; static'd out and inaccessible. Still, at the very least it might be worth taking a look at the influx's menu.

Also also, if the Influx is so powerful and important...Why did Ril steal the Exchange instead? I think we might be overselling it a little...
When have characters been that forgetful? Never, I'm pretty sure.

You can probably capture some pretty broken Illborn. For example, if not for the level cap, we could have gotten Triangle Riltia—and how do we know that we'll have the level cap forever?

Edit: Also, it doesn't need to be powerful—just cycle-breaking. Al's not from the Warrens, so his Soul Star is inherently more likely to be cycle-breaking.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21999 on: November 21, 2015, 03:45:47 pm »

I'm not saying it necessarily WILL happen, just that a standing order is no guarantee. Also, I wouldn't think that the Exchange would've worked on Rillborn; did we ever decide if she was Willborn or not? I mean...She didn't have her soul star drained that we directly caused, no, but it could've been something ???? and/or !!!! did remotely if they did hold her star.

As for the Exchange being cycle-breaking, that's a fair point.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22000 on: November 21, 2015, 03:48:56 pm »

I'm not saying it necessarily WILL happen, just that a standing order is no guarantee. Also, I wouldn't think that the Exchange would've worked on Rillborn; did we ever decide if she was Willborn or not? I mean...She didn't have her soul star drained that we directly caused, no, but it could've been something ???? and/or !!!! did remotely if they did hold her star.

True. I assumed she was Illborn because we didn't Spirit Duel her, but that was more likely just because Ciro/Vi wasn't around. Willborn being near-impossible to kill without Ciro around definitely makes sense.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22001 on: November 21, 2015, 04:35:59 pm »

True. I assumed she was Illborn because we didn't Spirit Duel her, but that was more likely just because Ciro/Vi wasn't around. Willborn being near-impossible to kill without Ciro around definitely makes sense.
Anyone with a soul star can theoretically Spirit Duel. Whether or not they know how to initiate the Combat is a different story.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22002 on: November 21, 2015, 07:14:40 pm »

So here's a thought: Oric wants the target dead because that's what the main character is supposed to endure. The Warrens is basically one giant Oric fanfic, with Ciro as its awesome protag.
Now if only I had some evidence for it.

The other major problem is that we know the Warrens' main source of power is shucking soul stars. That's why it nibbles chunks out of other worlds and generates Illborn in the first place. A variant on the "Warrens is a soul charge generator" idea doesn't help reconcile what the difference is supposed to be or how they interact (idle thought: keeping up power so as to outrank the Cherubs?).

Alternate theory on that: It's not and never was about soul charge (or maybe it was when powering up Oric vs Devil, but not any more). Oric & Co are doing it because it's the only thing they can think of to do; they own the Warrens, but now what? Maybe they were so broken by captivity that they couldn't really get into the finest men and/or women they could harvest hand-feeding them the finest grape-like things they could harvest while fanning them with the most opulent plumage they could harvest, all while reclining on the finest furniture they could harvest.

This would also mean Al's coming ascension will be a holocaust of unprecedented scale.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22003 on: November 21, 2015, 07:20:35 pm »

I think that Oric's line about how "the good cycles are the ones where [the Target] doesn't find out until [the end, maybe? I forget.]" is pretty key to understanding his motives, but I haven't seen people say much about it.

Either it's good in that it allows for a greater Soul Charge bounty, or in that it's more fun for Oric. Or maybe for an entirely different reason!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22004 on: November 22, 2015, 09:34:11 pm »

So I was looking back over the Rex code, on the off chance I'd find something somebody else hadn't. No luck on actually working out what to do with it, but I do have a guess as to who made it. It's likely one made by a prior incarnation of the Mechanic. On top of that, I might have a stab at where the Siblings originated from.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No clue what to do with any of this information, but it's interesting to note, at least.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:37:28 pm by flame99 »

Pages: 1 ... 1465 1466 [1467] 1468 1469 ... 1544