Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 1437 1438 [1439] 1440 1441 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3901155 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: now with unnecessary angst
« Reply #21570 on: July 15, 2015, 01:53:30 am »

Assume that you are fighting someone as competent as you are. They have already burned through or unmade all your contingencies, anything you could summon is either too weak to matter, barred from contact, or has been hunted to extinction, and the more fortunate of your allies have had all memory of you expunged. You could set up one last time-delayed resurrection, but then you would have just wasted the one and only act you had left, because when your resurrection triggers, they will be waiting, and you will be even weaker than you were when you had that one last chance to act. Now this may all sound a bit extreme, but remember that there is a reason that it is called "The Last"...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21571 on: July 15, 2015, 02:46:45 am »

Assume that you are fighting someone as competent as you are. They have already burned through or unmade all your contingencies, anything you could summon is either too weak to matter, barred from contact, or has been hunted to extinction, and the more fortunate of your allies have had all memory of you expunged. You could set up one last time-delayed resurrection, but then you would have just wasted the one and only act you had left, because when your resurrection triggers, they will be waiting, and you will be even weaker than you were when you had that one last chance to act. Now this may all sound a bit extreme, but remember that there is a reason that it is called "The Last"...
It's called the Last because it's the Last of it's kind? Because all other of it's race were viciously slaughtered? Because Oric made a figurative and literal "Deal with the Devil"?

WormArmy

• Bay Watcher
  • I am in fact.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21572 on: July 15, 2015, 11:44:32 am »

Really it's more like Oric made a literal deal with the Devil, and the Devil made a figurative deal with the Devil.
my dream is that twoota readers build up an unnatural fear of hollow rectangles that follows them for the rest of their lives

You can't call a man a slimeball if he doesn't rat... and you can't call a slimeball a rat cuz he can't talk. But he always knows. Always.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21573 on: July 15, 2015, 03:39:41 pm »

But Oric had just Genocided The Devil's peers, one assumes that there was some measure of desperation involved...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21574 on: July 15, 2015, 03:42:04 pm »

ffs probably reads many of our half-baked theories and laughs at them.

Or winces at how close some of them come.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21575 on: July 15, 2015, 06:36:23 pm »

You know you're a badass when you make a literal deal with the Devil, and play the role of the Devil in the deal.  ;)

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21576 on: July 15, 2015, 06:45:18 pm »

Personally I'd say no because this ignores questions like "recreate the prison" and it then brings up the question "Why did Oric not finish off the Last Seraphim?"

Only if you choose to ignore the question...

It instead brings up the questions, "What is the prison?" "Who is recreating the prison?"

The following is a crazy joke theory to demonstrate how it could work together:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That said, I proposed the Madoka idea I did because I think we've been a bit too one-dimensional with Oric's badguy status. He is Oric the Awesome, not Oric the Asshole after-all. So I figured maybe he has hidden depths and maybe the cycles is not something he's simply doing for himself.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #21577 on: July 15, 2015, 07:26:52 pm »

Naw, see, it's Ciro rebuilding the prison. Pretty much everything in the Warrens is built to cater to loot-crazed adventurer types; the shops, the random drops, the progressively tougher enemies and proportionally more exciting loot, etc. The rare occasions Ciro actually manages to win, s/he winds up choosing to start the whole game over again. What's more exciting, being the protagonist of a dungeon crawl, or being the guy hanging out at the very bottom? Oric's so bored, he's set up a freaking five and dime store!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21578 on: July 15, 2015, 07:30:30 pm »

Naw, see, it's Ciro rebuilding the prison. Pretty much everything in the Warrens is built to cater to loot-crazed adventurer types; the shops, the random drops, the progressively tougher enemies and proportionally more exciting loot, etc. The rare occasions Ciro actually manages to win, s/he winds up choosing to start the whole game over again. What's more exciting, being the protagonist of a dungeon crawl, or being the guy hanging out at the very bottom? Oric's so bored, he's set up a freaking five and dime store!
What if each Oric is actually the previous cycle's Ciro?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21579 on: July 15, 2015, 10:28:58 pm »

Well that actually makes sense!

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21580 on: July 15, 2015, 10:46:39 pm »

The crucial flaw in all your theories is assuming Ciro was the Target. In reality all Siblings were deliberately misled, and the Target was Oric all along. You see, Oric has been trying to kill himself since before Time began, but his +10/+10 Awesome stat prevents him from doing something so lame and retarded. The cycle system is an attempt to force the RNG to turn Ciro into a character than can drain Class Stats, allowing Oric to finally jump off a high cliff and embrace sweet, sweet oblivion. The crucial flaw in Oric's plan is that he will have forgotten to dismantle the sissy revival machines, and despite killing every other Sibling over the course of his plan, he will have left alive Slog, unnoticed but all-loving, who will proceed to revive Oric, only this time as a girl because the Al's First Law of Revivification is that all lifeforms seek their femalest gender state. Also Al will be revived because he is this story's official Mary Sue and add Femoric, or possible Orica, to his harem. Al will then escape the Warrens, only to discover outside the Warrens is just more Warrens, and all of his flashbacks were actually made-up hallucinations stemming from never eating or drinking, I mean who the fuck told you only drinking blood was a good idea you dehydrated moron. Finally admitting defeat, Al sheds a single manly tear, but luckily Orica is there for him, and they embrace, but it turns out Orica was Al all along, and Al was Slog.

That, gentlemen, is why Oric wants to kill the target.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21581 on: July 15, 2015, 10:48:24 pm »

The crucial flaw in all your theories is assuming Ciro was the Target. In reality all Siblings were deliberately misled, and the Target was Oric all along. You see, Oric has been trying to kill himself since before Time began, but his +10/+10 Awesome stat prevents him from doing something so lame and retarded. The cycle system is an attempt to force the RNG to turn Ciro into a character than can drain Class Stats, allowing Oric to finally jump off a high cliff and embrace sweet, sweet oblivion. The crucial flaw in Oric's plan is that he will have forgotten to dismantle the sissy revival machines, and despite killing every other Sibling over the course of his plan, he will have left alive Slog, unnoticed but all-loving, who will proceed to revive Oric, only this time as a girl because the Al's First Law of Revivification is that all lifeforms seek their femalest gender state. Also Al will be revived because he is this story's official Mary Sue and add Femoric, or possible Orica, to his harem. Al will then escape the Warrens, only to discover outside the Warrens is just more Warrens, and all of his flashbacks were actually made-up hallucinations stemming from never eating or drinking, I mean who the fuck told you only drinking blood was a good idea you dehydrated moron. Finally admitting defeat, Al sheds a single manly tear, but luckily Orica is there for him, and they embrace, but it turns out Orica was Al all along, and Al was Slog.

That, gentlemen, is why Oric wants to kill the target.
Quoted!
There's probably a grain of truth in there somewhere.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21582 on: July 15, 2015, 10:57:25 pm »

Quoted!
There's probably a grain of truth in there somewhere.

And thus our insanity has been revealed.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21583 on: July 15, 2015, 11:11:37 pm »

Waitaminute. Oric doesn't have a +10/+10 Awesome stat, he only has a +10 Awesome stat! There's a difference!

Which brings us to another question. If the adventurers can gain stat boosts up to +10 so easily, why isn't Oric tougher?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21584 on: July 15, 2015, 11:41:23 pm »

Which brings us to another question. If the adventurers can gain stat boosts up to +10 so easily, why isn't Oric tougher?

Stats max out at +5, usually. Oric's +10 to Awesome[Which applies to basically EVERYTHING] is probably the result of shenanigans.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 1437 1438 [1439] 1440 1441 ... 1544