Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3899822 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Halfhabet Soup
« Reply #19500 on: April 19, 2015, 03:37:19 pm »

Well, Derm's comments make me think that we are missing some tiny detail or something like that, but that's just speculation.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19501 on: April 19, 2015, 03:40:02 pm »

((I couldn't get the spacing to work out on this post but just assume that the first > is that same as the other " >"s we've seen.))

Change Elec to Holy
(we don't even know if they are considered to be chains, or if chains are the best analogy)

>Ardent Circuit lets you view and use menus of devices not in your inventory.
+>Adding, removing, or modifying menu options on any existing menu remains impossible.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:52:42 pm by freeformschooler »

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #19502 on: April 19, 2015, 03:48:57 pm »

Drop the Visor within grasping distance *then* change it.

It will be technically not in our inventory :v

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19503 on: April 19, 2015, 03:52:22 pm »

Drop the Visor within grasping distance *then* change it.

It will be technically not in our inventory :v
I think that this means you can activate or deactivate options, but not create new ones or modify other ones.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #19504 on: April 19, 2015, 03:53:23 pm »

I blame english not being first language and shenanigans v:

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19505 on: April 19, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »

Only one letter, that time. I suspect that the letters somehow point to other words or letters, rather than being coded themselves.

Edit: Rephrased post for clarity.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19506 on: April 19, 2015, 04:08:43 pm »

Try spinning around in circles. Also jump repeatedly and try to gain some momentum by doing so.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19507 on: April 19, 2015, 04:17:27 pm »

Only one letter, that time. I suspect that the letters somehow point to other words or letters, rather than being coded themselves.

Edit: Rephrased post for clarity.
Or maybe everything she's been saying since she's first spoken has been one huge message.

Open menus of the floors, lights-that-produce-chains, chains, teleporter, and whatever is making the Void look wavy; all using the Ardent Circuit

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19508 on: April 19, 2015, 04:27:50 pm »

Or maybe everything she's been saying since she's first spoken has been one huge message.
It seems unlikely since FFS probably can't predict how long this is going to go on.  Also, the early messages all ended with > which suggests a 'reset to initial state' which I think means the first four messages were independent of each other.  The last three didn't end with > though.  So either they're part of the same message or FFS is getting better at doing the code.

still no idea how to uncode this or even where the code actually is (since we seem to have eliminated the possibility of basic caeser ciphers based on just the orange letters or doing machine code on the text)... or if there's a code at all and FFS is just fucking with us.

hm just noticed that each paragraph generally increases in length... for example paragraph 1's lengths are 24, 31, 33, 30, 32, 38, 34, 43, 34, 40, 47, 44, 15. slope is around 1.6, whee

Look, here's what FFS probably had to do to make these: First, write the visible messages and the messages that are hidden in them.  Second, apply the cipher to count the necessary number of letters and change one orange or something.  Third, break the sentence.  Fourth, ritually sacrifice a child to the fire god M'L'CH in exchange for another year of dark power and an extension on the term before the dark forces of the underworld rise to claim his soul.  Finally, go back and apply the solution cipher to ensure it works.  So, we can guess a couple of things- for example that as the writing process went on it either became harder to break the sentences quickly or that the sentences needed to become longer because the number of letters that needed to be distributed ran out quicker than FFS was anticipating in the earlier part of the paragraph.  We can also try looking for a pattern of unsolved cases of missing children and strange weather phenomenon in a small geographic area, in hopes of finding the nexus of FFS's daemonic cabal and destroying it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:13:09 pm by RanDomino »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19509 on: April 19, 2015, 05:07:33 pm »

Minor breakthrough! The unencrypted messages cannot contain the letter z.

Proof: We have the alphabet, which is the unencrypted, and half the alphabet plus an indicator (-> or +>), which is encrypted. When you unencrypt the message, to go back to the first half of the alphabet, you go back (or forward) 13 letters. To go to the second half, you subtract 1 from the letter. If that's the method anyway. The letter z, in the second half of the alphabet, cannot be led to by adding 13, because it is in the second half, and it cannot be led to by subtracting 1, because you would have to subtract 1 from the letter a to get there, and a is never orange, now is it? I think that although I cannot use the information that there will be no z's in the completed message, someone else can exploit that weakness.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19510 on: April 19, 2015, 05:17:05 pm »

a is never orange, now is it?
But no letters in the first half of the alphabet are orange.  That said if the first thing we need to do to decode this is subtract 13 from orange letters, then we won't get a that way because no n's are orange. ...and if the first thing we do is subtract 13 (or something close, based on applying + and - to the count) then the placement of the orange letters seems like it would have to be irrelevant... in which case the spacing and line breaks would be irrelevant...

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19511 on: April 19, 2015, 05:46:51 pm »

Well, Derm's comments make me think that we are missing some tiny detail or something like that, but that's just speculation.

It's more like one big thing. And I don't think you can define it as 'Missing'...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19512 on: April 19, 2015, 05:50:58 pm »

It's more like one big thing. And I don't think you can define it as 'Missing'...

... we should search everything we've looked at so far. Derm's probably saying we ignored something important that was already said.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19513 on: April 19, 2015, 05:54:07 pm »

One day we're going to look back at this and you'll all feel really stupid.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19514 on: April 19, 2015, 06:48:40 pm »

((I don't think they'll feel stupid later on. Most of the "puzzles" in TWoOtA have been cheap cop-outs like a simple Cesarean cipher or push-block grids easy for anyone who's played video games. This, on the other hand, is a real, honest-to-goodness puzzle developed by the GM that will take some effort to solve.))
Pages: 1 ... 1299 1300 [1301] 1302 1303 ... 1544