Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 1298 1299 [1300] 1301 1302 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3899799 times)

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Halfhabet Soup
« Reply #19485 on: April 19, 2015, 01:14:17 pm »

I just tested Tomcost's method.

First four lines are IQU (-+>+...)
Someone try it without spaces.

Great ideas here, people! One thing:

How familiar is everyone with the computer programming terminology employed? We see some common terms here which in programming have a nuance a little different from their meanings in mathematical or standard usage.

To increment, or more specifically to use the increment operator, means to increase by one; in programming languages, this is often expressed by the sign ++. Thus, x++ would mean "add one to x" or "increment x (by one)".

The opposite of this is "decrement" or to lower a value by one which is represented by --, so x-- would subtract one from x.

While in conventional usage there can be such a thing as a "negative increment" or an "increment of two", Proxxy I think would stray closer to computer programming usage and thus we should avoid these other concepts. Still, this could always amount to some masterly misdirection on FFS's part.
She specifically uses -- in method2, so I'm pretty sure it's the programming usage.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19486 on: April 19, 2015, 01:23:00 pm »

I just tested Tomcost's method.

First four lines are IQU (-+>+...)
Unfortunately, it degrades into nothing after that.

The next two letters are: YW

Yep, we are not getting anywhere.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19487 on: April 19, 2015, 01:26:49 pm »

Addressing the above theorycrafting point by point:

Ciro cannot be a Sibling because they came from outside the Warrens:

Fairly certain Ciro didn't actually enter the Warrens. She doesn't even remember anything about the Kingdom of Haria, meaning its probably an implanted backstory. Moreover, entry to the Warrens is almost impossible: Al only got in because Last Seraph and Yaos only got in because of the unique nature of their Soul Star, IIRC.

Ciro cannot be the Target because Oric didn't try to kill them when they met:

Most of the main theories we have on why Oric wants the Target dead involve Soul Charge. Oric wants the Target to run around generating Soul Charge and then, once they've killed all the other Siblings and completely filled up on Soul Charge, kill them and use the Influx to power the Warren. The current trouble in the Underside, as well as Cain's story about Oric's Hammer, confirms Soul Charge is used to power the dungeon levels. The Astral Influx is especially good at holding/gaining[<-Can't remember which] Soul Charge, so that's why the Target has to generate the Soul Charge.

Riltia cannot be a non-Target Sibling because they joined our party too easily:

Remember that no one except possibly Oric knows anything about the gray Sibling whatsoever. Riltia probably doesn't even know that much about herself.

Riltia must be the Target because Oric wants us to kill her:

This leads back to the above point: Oric doesn't want the Target dead, he wants them to generate tons of Soul Charge and then, at the end of the cycle, kill them himself. If the Siblings band together with the Target, this means less Soul Charge and he dislikes that. Plus he's paranoid about the Siblings rebelling against him. So he does stuff like chain up Proxxy and try to make us kill Riltia to ensure that doesn't happen. The reason Oric wouldn't kill her himself is because her ?? rubric would/might have reflected his Awesome attacks back at him, like she did to Ecco's mech.

Moreover, only the true owner of a Soul Star can Second Shift it, and Ciro Second Shifted the Astral Influx. The Target is the true owner of the Astral Influx. Ergo, Ciro is the Target.
Okay. You win. Ciro is definitely the Target. Unfortunately, this means Oric most likely has some way of draining soul charge- and I think this might be a stretch- it can only be done to second shifted stars. In which case Proxxy needs to shift back now. Why only second shifts? Because Oric didn't go and drain Ciro's soul charge while she was in Oversoul, and that would have been a great time to get a lot of charge.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19488 on: April 19, 2015, 01:27:42 pm »

It seems like you aren't getting anywhere!

I wonder why.

(i do know why)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Chris the OK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19489 on: April 19, 2015, 01:28:19 pm »

Here's how I interpret Tomcost's idea:

YR| RUST |TU
-+|++++|-+

Code: [Select]
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13
  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
considering both the "halfhabet" and -/+ sign gives us: -12, +5, +5, +8, +6, +7, -7, +8

- 12 11 10  9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1 +1
   A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M 
+  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13  ?
resuls of cipher grid suggested by Tomcost: AQ QTRS FT

How have I done this differently? Whatever the case, it doesn't result in anything useful, even if I put it into a cryptogram solver.

Also this is pretty much the first thing I tried except for beginning at index 0 and adding or subtracting from there. That was equally useless.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19490 on: April 19, 2015, 01:32:53 pm »

Here's how I interpret Tomcost's idea:

YR| RUST |TU
-+|++++|-+

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13
considering both the "halfhabet" and -/+ sign gives us: -12, +5, +5, +8, +6, +7, -7, +8

- 12 11 10  9  8  7  6  5  4  3  2  1 +1
   A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M 
+  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12 13  ?
resuls of cipher grid suggested by Tomcost: AQ QTRS FT

How have I done this differently? Whatever the case, it doesn't result in anything useful, even if I put it into a cryptogram solver.

Also this is pretty much the first thing I tried except for beginning at index 0 and adding or subtracting from there. That was equally useless.

But you are forgetting to use the Increment and decrements, that may be caused by the position of the letters in the alphabet, which may only apply to those letters that precede the orange one.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19491 on: April 19, 2015, 01:36:46 pm »

Open/Modify Menu of Technomantic Visor

Chris the OK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19492 on: April 19, 2015, 02:42:40 pm »

Well, we have a V among the letters now, so I can't imagine there remaining any way to translate it into hex grid movements...

Also, there are 13 rooms per row on this dungeon floor...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19493 on: April 19, 2015, 03:13:44 pm »

((bigger update later))

Open/Modify Menu of Technomantic Visor

->The Technomantic Visor's options have not changed.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19494 on: April 19, 2015, 03:19:09 pm »

Use the wrench to change "Elec" on the Visor into "Chain".
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19495 on: April 19, 2015, 03:20:21 pm »

+1

Who needs codes when you can abuse technicalities?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19496 on: April 19, 2015, 03:22:28 pm »

+1

+1
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19497 on: April 19, 2015, 03:31:18 pm »

Change Elec to Holy
(we don't even know if they are considered to be chains, or if chains are the best analogy)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19498 on: April 19, 2015, 03:32:14 pm »

+1

+1
+1. This will be a roll for shenanigans-but it might work. But how about setting the repel setting to Bindings.

Has it occurred to the code solvers that adding 13 has the same effect as subtracting 13 for moving letters along the alphabet? Since that, we could say -> means add 13 and +> means subtract 1. I still tried though, and it was gibberish. However, Proxxy's comment that "whether I think positively or negatively, I still only have half" or something like that tells me that combining +> means add 13 and -> means subtract 1 with the new method thing I suggested... each gives a different result- but what if you combine the results somehow? That's the best I've got so far.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19499 on: April 19, 2015, 03:35:49 pm »

Yeah, it's occurred to a few people.

However, it's nice to know there are more people thinking along the same lines; makes it seem like those are the right lines.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 1298 1299 [1300] 1301 1302 ... 1544