Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3896992 times)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome:
« Reply #15660 on: June 25, 2014, 06:36:21 am »

Dammit all of this while I was sleeping?
What if it's just an immobile statue if you don't attack it? It turned red when the boulder hit it.

So yeah Guardening to see if it does something.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15661 on: June 25, 2014, 06:38:04 am »

Well in OFF none of the elsem or whatever they were called could hurt the 'spectres', only Purification hurt those creatures.

Which is why I believe the only method of hurt the thing is by a purification battle, like we see in the Minus reveals.
I have no idea what you're talking about so I'm just going to have to assume you know what you're doing quick drive the car off a cliff.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15662 on: June 25, 2014, 06:43:49 am »

Well in OFF none of the elsem or whatever they were called could hurt the 'spectres', only Purification hurt those creatures.

Which is why I believe the only method of hurt the thing is by a purification battle, like we see in the Minus reveals.
I have no idea what you're talking about so I'm just going to have to assume you know what you're doing quick drive the car off a cliff.
"purification" is how the main character in OFF kills spectres. The enemies we see are based loosely from OFF. Therefore we use the method the main character uses in order to slay the creature, after seeing how the boulder did no damage
The 'purification battle' would likely look like a Final Fantasy style combat system.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15663 on: June 25, 2014, 07:58:03 am »

Actually, the Elsen did kill a spectre once. Thing is, this isn't a spectre. This is a secretary, if we go by OFF logic. This is very bad.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #15664 on: June 25, 2014, 08:23:29 am »

Should we switch to Knight just in case?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15665 on: June 25, 2014, 09:02:54 am »

Oh, this reminds me. Now is a great time to re-work guarding (for the last time?) Right now, it's a weird, unpredictable mess of AC and DR boni. I'll put a poll up. Here's the relevant terms.

Default guard bonus: the effect of Guarding with no relevant items or skills.
AC: The stolen-from-D&D stat that specifies how hard you are to hit. In Warrens Support (the informal RPG system Warrens uses), default AC is always 10.
DR: The also-stolen-from-D&D damage reduction stat. By default, everyone has zero AC.

Right now, the system works as thus: default guard bonus is +2 DR. Hard Hat provides up to +7 DR when guarding. Other things, like Riltia's GUARD skill, boost AC instead. What I want to change is the default guard bonus. Other things can be changed in later polls.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:05:03 am by freeformschooler »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15666 on: June 25, 2014, 10:02:21 am »

Maybe, but even then, if the ball didn't damage it...

I'm just wary of attacking heads large enough to fit us in their mouths and deranged-looking enough that we don't think it will, is all.

Actually, didn't the last head give us a turn of change before attacking? Maybe this one's a quickdraw robe instead of a beamskull, but I still get the feeling guarding might be superfluous rather than suicidal like I was originally saying.

I'm proceeding on the following assumptions:

1- The ball didn't damage the monster because the ball is a really shitty weapon by virtue of being a puzzle piece and not a weapon.

2- As derm said, hopefully these things have a pattern of attacks, because if they transform and then do that much damage every single round then we can't kill it anyway.

3- More specifically, the pattern seems to be See it, It transforms/readies attack, it attacks. We've already seen it, and it has changed its sprite (not as dramatically as the first one, admittedly,) so I think we're on to stage three now.

Oh, this reminds me. Now is a great time to re-work guarding (for the last time?) Right now, it's a weird, unpredictable mess of AC and DR boni. I'll put a poll up. Here's the relevant terms.

Default guard bonus: the effect of Guarding with no relevant items or skills.
AC: The stolen-from-D&D stat that specifies how hard you are to hit. In Warrens Support (the informal RPG system Warrens uses), default AC is always 10.
DR: The also-stolen-from-D&D damage reduction stat. By default, everyone has zero AC.

Right now, the system works as thus: default guard bonus is +2 DR. Hard Hat provides up to +7 DR when guarding. Other things, like Riltia's GUARD skill, boost AC instead. What I want to change is the default guard bonus. Other things can be changed in later polls.

I voted for +4 AC since that's probably the closest to +2 DR. Assuming the biggest problem with the system is that "it's a weird, unpredictable mess" then the easiest way to sort that out would be to use different names to differentiate the stuff that affects AC and the stuff that affects DR. Based on the poll options that means Guard should translate to AC (so we're aligning with Riltia's skill) and DR becomes its own thing. The other way to do it would be to keep Guard meaning DR and change AC buffs like Riltia's skill to Dodge instead.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15667 on: June 25, 2014, 10:15:03 am »

I fucked up and wrote +4 DR instead of +1 DR, so the poll is reset. Sorry.

I voted for +4 AC since that's probably the closest to +2 DR. Assuming the biggest problem with the system is that "it's a weird, unpredictable mess" then the easiest way to sort that out would be to use different names to differentiate the stuff that affects AC and the stuff that affects DR. Based on the poll options that means Guard should translate to AC (so we're aligning with Riltia's skill) and DR becomes its own thing. The other way to do it would be to keep Guard meaning DR and change AC buffs like Riltia's skill to Dodge instead.

That would be ideal, but then we already have interlinked stuff like the hard hat which explicitly offers +5 DR "when guarding." Then again, maybe that kind of attention to detail is what this system needs (to be less confusing).

Mostly I'm concerned with keeping expectations in line so the players don't have to host a lively round of What's That Game Mechanic every combat turn. Same reason the active party holds only four people: it's the sweet spot for how many characters your average ISG reader can keep up with and order around.

The thinking behind changing the default bonus to AC (which is what the players seem to agree with based on the poll) is that all guarding can be understood as a penalty to opposed attack rolls, and damage reduction remains a super special thing like with the Bulwarks.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:16:45 am by freeformschooler »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15668 on: June 25, 2014, 11:32:45 am »

I still say we should try to select it in the illborn exchange at some point. You never know.
Though +1 to guarding, for this turn at least.
Also Change Rubric to Knight, as that should stack with the default bonus (whatever that ends up as)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15669 on: June 25, 2014, 11:54:02 am »

Can I vote for "Screw having formal mechanics"?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15670 on: June 25, 2014, 11:58:38 am »

Can I vote for "Screw having formal mechanics"?

no

there must be a base system for all other scenarios to build on :v

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15671 on: June 25, 2014, 12:09:30 pm »

What about whoever can lick the other first wins? Tactical Licking anyone?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15672 on: June 25, 2014, 12:47:00 pm »

I think we should attempt Tactical Diplomacy, just to see what happens.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15673 on: June 25, 2014, 02:46:26 pm »

As for guarding, I think it should affect DR, but what if we also had an option to dodge that affects AC?
We wouldn't be able to use both at the same time though, so it adds an element of strategy to how we defend.

Great Scott, EmeraldWind, is InifniSlime a new straight-up feature of this game?
They recognize obstacles now, I think.

I suppose to clarify, I was wondering if they're just a debug tool or if we're going to play this game and encounter Slime Rooms. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Right now, they are a debug tool. I first wanted to test the hue change algorithm I wrote hence all the colors. Then I was curious at how many monsters I could spawn so I could see if it had an obvious effect (which it doesn't).

But I'm open to monster nests as a rare room as they would be an interesting thing to find. In fact, in the final version of there will likely be all kinds of Easter Eggs since I'm a big fan of stuff like that in games.

Granted, I'm still quite a ways from having anything playable... but my first release (a proof of concept) will be basically a Slime hunt. No useable items, but there will be a default attack and you'll go around punching Slimes until you die.

It will take a while though. I keep on rewriting sections of code. This is my first attempt at a project this complicated on my own, but it fun watching it grow.

As for flabort's statement, that is correct I just rewrote the player map collision code to work with monsters as well. Though I think I need to rewrite the collision code to be a bit more versatile. I also want to make Slimes avoid trying to walk through walls as well as other additions to the Slime AI.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15674 on: June 25, 2014, 02:54:20 pm »

((EW: are you using a base entity class that the player, monster, and other projectiles inherit collision code from? Most big Game Maker games handle game logic that way.))

Spoiler: Count (click to show/hide)

Guard, change rubric to knight: +monk12, +EmeraldWind, +Xanmyral, +RanDomino, +miauw62, +TopHat, +ShadowStrike, +Solymr (8!)

You guard. The figure does nothing. It would be great if you had some ranged spells right now, but nooooooo.
Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 ... 1544