Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3895436 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: The Time Demon... dies ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #14385 on: April 18, 2014, 08:13:25 pm »

Tell me, what is the distinction between "scrambling" and "corrupting"? What would happen if you scrambled, to pick a not-at-all-random example, the data on a Pokemon?
I meant "scrambling" as in "temporarily disrupting", ala EMP bomb. My bad for not being more specific.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #14386 on: April 18, 2014, 08:18:39 pm »

But Missingno isn't scrambled nor corrupted data. It's the result of the game trying to read something that has nothing allocated in it. :P
This is strangely relevant for our unallocated soul star binding.

If we do something with that binding do we get MissingNo.?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14387 on: April 18, 2014, 08:20:24 pm »

But Missingno isn't scrambled nor corrupted data. It's the result of the game trying to read something that has nothing allocated in it. :P
This is strangely relevant for our unallocated soul star binding.

If we do something with that binding do we get MissingNo.?
Hmmm, maybe if we talked Polydectes into activating it without an essence. :P

*In before GWG misreads the point of this and tries to shoot it down.*
It's FEF, not FEOF

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14388 on: April 18, 2014, 08:22:24 pm »

Minor detail. The point still stands.
(And technically, it is the result of scrambled data. I'd say "name in the Pokemon encounterable data" counts as scrambled, neh?)

Tell me, what is the distinction between "scrambling" and "corrupting"? What would happen if you scrambled, to pick a not-at-all-random example, the data on a Pokemon?
I meant "scrambling" as in "temporarily disrupting", ala EMP bomb. My bad for not being more specific.
Ah.
Well, it sure looked like something more...you know...deep. Permanent.

*In before GWG misreads the point of this and tries to shoot it down.*
Don't bold or +1 it and you're good.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14389 on: April 18, 2014, 08:23:42 pm »

Yeah. Riltia had her Star's information corrupted. This caused her body's link with her Star to go haywire, and absorb the nearest things(searchbot, locking glass). She then became a Riltia-bot producing Worm factory which had the uncontrollable urge to destroy and yell CIIIIIRRRRROOOOOOOOO.

It wasn't temporary as far as we know. Riltia was mean to cause lots of damage(which she did), and was only stopped by a Blast from OVERSOUL, turning her back from Illborn to a chargedup-Generic

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14390 on: April 18, 2014, 08:26:23 pm »

Meh, I define scrambled as in the actual values getting randomized in a way that doesn't make much sense so I'll just respectfully disagree on that.

Also dislike the tone of your response to that note and so I stick my tongue out in semiserious defiance. Thou art no commander of mine :P
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:29:40 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14391 on: April 18, 2014, 11:56:34 pm »

Minor detail. The point still stands.
(And technically, it is the result of scrambled data. I'd say "name in the Pokemon encounterable data" counts as scrambled, neh?)
I'd same the name only counts as scrambled data if it is in fact scrambled data rather than garbage data or a hard-coded default value. I'm not sure if there is any actual data in the storage or if it is garbage data or if it is something else that the game is attempting to read as Pokémon data.

If you read that wiki page you posted, it seems that the person you are correcting was correct in the first place. So there doesn't seem to be a need for your correction.

Ah.
Well, it sure looked like something more...you know...deep. Permanent.
... Are you serious here? I mean this is ridiculously nitpicky. Why not offer your definition of scrambling and corrupting to make it easier to it explain to you? It seems the more a person attempts to explain themselves to you the more deliberately you nitpick them.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14392 on: April 19, 2014, 02:09:27 am »

The data the game tries to read is derived from the player name. To peform the glitch, one must take the tutorial from the old man and then fly to cinnabar coast and then surf around on the coast tiles. To save memory, the player name is stored in the adress where the reference to Pokemon that can be encountered in an area can be stored. Cinnabar coast has no such data, thus the data remains unchanged when one flies there. However, it DOES have encounter tiles. This is normally not a problem, and the Pokemon from the last visited area would be used.

The player name is, I think, not read directly. It is probably used as a reference to another adress to start reading Pokemon from or so.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14393 on: April 19, 2014, 03:26:30 am »

The data the game tries to read is derived from the player name. To peform the glitch, one must take the tutorial from the old man and then fly to cinnabar coast and then surf around on the coast tiles. To save memory, the player name is stored in the adress where the reference to Pokemon that can be encountered in an area can be stored. Cinnabar coast has no such data, thus the data remains unchanged when one flies there. However, it DOES have encounter tiles. This is normally not a problem, and the Pokemon from the last visited area would be used.

The player name is, I think, not read directly. It is probably used as a reference to another adress to start reading Pokemon from or so.

That is what the wiki says. It uses the player name as an address and if the player name doesn't coincide with Pokémon data error checking kicks in.
The interesting thing I find about that is that in theory a name could point toward valid data which would mean there possible names where the glitch will summon a proper Pokémon. I say in theory, since there could be a flag on the name string or some other value used that always puts the reference out of range regardless of the name.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14394 on: April 19, 2014, 05:04:50 am »

Yes, the missingno glitch can be and has been used to catch actual pokemon, most notably a Mew. It can also be used to encounter a trainer battle with Oak, IIRC.

I have never played a main series pokemon game in my life, glitches like these just fascinate
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:10:01 am by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14395 on: April 19, 2014, 09:27:22 am »

... Are you serious here? I mean this is ridiculously nitpicky. Why not offer your definition of scrambling and corrupting to make it easier to it explain to you? It seems the more a person attempts to explain themselves to you the more deliberately you nitpick them.
My definition of "scrambling" is basically "the data gets moved/scattered around so it doesn't work," while "corrupting" is more like "data gets screwed with due to an error or sabotage or something". You know, like magnets near hard drives or VHS tapes.
And I only nitpick them if there's stuff to be nitpicked. I only do it ore with more explanation if the explanation gives more nitpickable stuff.

Again, data being moved to funny places and used seems to fit the definition of "scrambled" as much as anything.

I have never played a main series pokemon game in my life, glitches like these just fascinate
Indeed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14396 on: April 19, 2014, 10:04:37 am »

Except the data is not scrambled at all and the player name is supposed to end up in the place where it does (it's just supposed to be overwritten).

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14397 on: April 19, 2014, 10:06:09 am »

In which case it is neither corrupted nor scrambled.
It is merely the system displaying a bug/glitch.]

Now let's get back to tWoOtA, shall we?
+1 to rhyming in order to be heard.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:11:53 am by javierpwn »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14398 on: April 19, 2014, 11:48:50 am »

EDIT:
OH CRAP WE JUST DANCED IN FRONT OF THE LAST SERAPHIM, DIDN'T WE?!
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14399 on: April 19, 2014, 11:55:00 am »

...what if the giant ceiling eye was related to it to. Did we shoot the Last Seraphim in the eye? I mean probably not since its in a prison but still seems like something worth being worried over...
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 958 959 [960] 961 962 ... 1544