Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3901978 times)

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: obvious gm "advice" is usually bad
« Reply #12960 on: March 22, 2014, 11:18:16 pm »

Oh finally, someone does the theorycrafting to the statement that I made directly after Cain basically called the Last Seraphim both The Lord and Oversoul.

Edit:Rereading Cain's exposition makes me want to draw a gigantic mouth holding a tiny Oric by the cape about to eat him/drop him in his mouth.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:20:31 pm by javierpwn »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: March 22, 2014, 11:40:23 pm »

The Lord is "The Devil Herself". The Last Seraphim is Betweenford. Oric killed all the other Seraphims, and allowed Ford to live, the weakest of the Seraphim (I know he's the most powerful angel bear with me). So Oric devises this whole system of cycles and producing energy, yadayada we all read Cain's story. But he basically allows Ford free will as long as he follows orders.

So Ford starts resurrecting the Seraphim. But like the Target, they lack most of their power and memories from their previous incarnations, making Ford more powerful than any of them. Two of whom we've met, and a third who we saw in that Angel flash. They no longer have the title of Seraphim, as they don't have the power behind them to maintain that title. So they are Angels.

Oric starts to catch on. He realizes that Betweenford is up to something bringing these Angel helper minions into the Warrens. When Oric gets word of the new recruit from Spira (On DL3, where we found him keeping shop), he knows for sure that something's up. He knows there's only so many Seraphim, and already suspects that the Angels are resurrected Seraphim. There's only a matter of time before their leader, "The Devil Herself" according to Cain, is resurrected. Little does he know it already happened, and she's back to full strength already. Their Lord doesn't need Betweenford to resurrect and train the Seraphim anymore, bye bye weakest of the bunch, you can go back to being the weakest one; maybe you'll die, and when we resurrect you, you'll be weakened like us, too, and the old pecking order will be restored.

So the Lord is back to full strength (TRAINING'S OVER), doesn't need her tool to ascension anymore (BYE BYE OLD FORD), is about to take down Oric (DOWN WITH THE KING), and is the ruler of the Angels (LONG LIVE THE LORD).

I need to go back and find the relevant quotes to finalize this.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12962 on: March 22, 2014, 11:44:25 pm »

She did have a bit of a personality. Not much, but it was there. Also, she actually talked and had a design, unlike us.
Personality? Where?
And of course she had design and dialogue. What kind of boss doesn't? (Besides, our silence was self-imposed. Being the original imposer, I should know.)
Well, she talked. She seemed kinda cheerful and trustworthy. Again, she had very little personality, but we had no personality. Also, she wasn't even on the floor until we activated that quest, which makes me suspect that she would've appeared on whichever floor we first activated a statue on.
1. She was "cheerful" and trustworthy because we treated her well. She was a tabula rasa that we wrote nice things on.
2. Ciro had exactly as much personality as she does now. Really, what new traits have popped up?
3. Of course not. Riltia, like DL 1, is basically blank and unformed until the Target gives it form.

Interesting, but...well...the theory opens up many questions one can't answer, like why Oric hasn't killed us when he could and why we aren't weirder.

The Lord is the Last Seraphim, and Oric is the King.
Duh.

The Lord is "The Devil Herself". The Last Seraphim is Betweenford. Oric killed all the other Seraphims, and allowed Ford to live, the weakest of the Seraphim (I know he's the most powerful angel bear with me). So Oric devises this whole system of cycles and producing energy, yadayada we all read Cain's story. But he basically allows Ford free will as long as he follows orders.

So Ford starts resurrecting the Seraphim. But like the Target, they lack most of their power and memories from their previous incarnations, making Ford more powerful than any of them. Two of whom we've met, and a third who we saw in that Angel flash. They no longer have the title of Seraphim, as they don't have the power behind them to maintain that title. So they are Angels.

Oric starts to catch on. He realizes that Betweenford is up to something bringing these Angel helper minions into the Warrens. When Oric gets word of the new recruit from Spira (On DL3, where we found him keeping shop), he knows for sure that something's up. He knows there's only so many Seraphim, and already suspects that the Angels are resurrected Seraphim. There's only a matter of time before their leader, "The Devil Herself" according to Cain, is resurrected. Little does he know it already happened, and she's back to full strength already. Their Lord doesn't need Betweenford to resurrect and train the Seraphim anymore, bye bye weakest of the bunch, you can go back to being the weakest one; maybe you'll die, and when we resurrect you, you'll be weakened like us, too, and the old pecking order will be restored.

So the Lord is back to full strength (TRAINING'S OVER), doesn't need her tool to ascension anymore (BYE BYE OLD FORD), is about to take down Oric (DOWN WITH THE KING), and is the ruler of the Angels (LONG LIVE THE LORD).

Now this...this is interesting.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12963 on: March 22, 2014, 11:52:47 pm »

Here's your theorycrafting question no definitive answer or reward before a little update break: Cain, Polydectes and the Angels all talk about the same people but use different terms. What do the terms they use tell you about the users? About how they see the Warrens?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12964 on: March 22, 2014, 11:58:46 pm »

They tell me nothing.

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12965 on: March 22, 2014, 11:59:34 pm »

Figure that Slog should qualify for the Reborn rubric since he was reborn the same way as us.  Wonder if skill ups via actions exist in some fashion, and hope they don't because slog would have gained at least one point in the Useless skill by now.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12966 on: March 23, 2014, 12:04:45 am »

They tell us about the personality of the users, and how they've been treated by the system.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: March 23, 2014, 12:06:14 am »

...Switch Slog's Rubric to Reborn to increase his Plot Importance
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: March 23, 2014, 12:09:16 am »

...Switch Slog's Rubric to Reborn to increase his Plot Importance
+1
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: March 23, 2014, 12:12:12 am »

Wait a second.

Over and Out was pretty much unanimously agreed to be the Voice's theme. However, on the Warrens OST, Over and out is stilled listed as Theme of ? ? ?. This may mean that Over and Out was actually the theme of Rilita.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: March 23, 2014, 12:53:42 am »

Wait a second.

Over and Out was pretty much unanimously agreed to be the Voice's theme. However, on the Warrens OST, Over and out is stilled listed as Theme of ? ? ?. This may mean that Over and Out was actually the theme of Rilita.
i thought it was the Target's theme. Due to the huge amount of voices saying stuff. Like running away, escaping, telling us we have stolen stuff, and then the Oversoul(last seraphim) tells us something almost incomprehensible(the huge amount of 'noise' at the end)

Betweenford's a Cherub. Lesser Angel. Small angel.  The Seraphim were described to be ridiculously monstrous, and have ridiculously monstrous mouths. Also, although he is gender ambiguous, he is a 'guy', or at least, I think he is.
Here's your theorycrafting question no definitive answer or reward before a little update break: Cain, Polydectes and the Angels all talk about the same people but use different terms. What do the terms they use tell you about the users? About how they see the Warrens?
Cain sees the Angels as devils, because he sees them as monstrous rulers of the Underworld. Polydectes is a denizen of the Underworld, and would prefer the second most powerful and monstrous being wouldn't know his exact location to flush him out and eat his soul. The Angels just refer to her as The Lord because that's what she is to them, while they are her little servants who do her bidding and get to eat delicious souls/charge

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: March 23, 2014, 03:49:50 am »

-1 to switching to characters who can't reach the influx. Riltia and Proxxy should be fine [revivable at least]; they both have perfectly healthy levels of soul charge
Cherish: Heal Ciro.
Al: hit the Valkyrie. Preferably without dropping Ciro.
Ciro: Guard
Slog: jump at Valkyrie.
He'llfail anyway, but might distract it or something. And he's pretty much useless where he is now.
Please remember that Al can heal himself now. Let's save our Healer's far-more-precious SP for the others.

I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: March 23, 2014, 04:04:03 am »

Remember: if we do switch, we need to do it from Underside so that everyone can do stuff.

ShadowStrike

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Axe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: March 23, 2014, 05:48:36 am »

DL1 probably doesn't have a boss, since it was really small.

Both unchecked doors are dead ends- one to the lava peninsula, one to the Astra Influx chest room.

Don't forget Riltia. We were supposed to fight Riltia, except we didn't.

Also, what makes you think that Ciro doesn't own DL6 or DL5?

-1 to switching to characters who can't reach the influx. Riltia and Proxxy should be fine [revivable at least]; they both have perfectly healthy levels of soul charge
Cherish: Heal Ciro.
Al: hit the Valkyrie. Preferably without dropping Ciro.
Ciro: Guard
Slog: jump at Valkyrie.
He'llfail anyway, but might distract it or something. And he's pretty much useless where he is now.
Please remember that Al can heal himself now. Let's save our Healer's far-more-precious SP for the others.

+1, but maybe we should have Ciro moving back down before that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:54:08 am by ShadowStrike »
The second best way to destroy non-serious and non-sensical posts is to dump a whole load of cold scientific facts on it.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: March 23, 2014, 06:20:06 am »

I think that Ciro owns neither DL5 nor DL6 because he owns DL1.

Honestly, it just makes narrative sense to me. We go along, only to find out that the boss of DL5 is really Al/Riltia, and we may need to kill them to pass.

On the other hand, if we find out WE'RE the boss, we... gain power? Consider switching sides? Pass through? I don't know what would happen. I think that if we own a floor and it's not DL1, it's probably DL8.

On the other hand, a floor owned by us would be the perfect time for some sort of dramatic reveal about ourselves. Hmm.

I wonder what the precise conditions for "clearing" a dungeon level are. I think that we can rule out "the sibling needs to be on the floor", since Proxxy took regular trips. FFS has pretty much outright stated that DL2 is a cleared level. What I'm wondering is whether DL3 is.

Thankfully, we can check DL3 for no cost once we find a checkpoint; if the checkpoint on the list hasn't been shuffled, we're safe. Since we didn't really do anything to Cain, I think DL3 won't be cleared. I do think that there will be some sort of opposition, though. That dragon is still around, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if something leaped out of the water.
Pages: 1 ... 863 864 [865] 866 867 ... 1544