Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3895228 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Prepare yourself
« Reply #8955 on: September 24, 2013, 03:11:22 pm »

My comp isn't actually broken - that was more a reference to my main job (working on computers, esp. old broken ones that won't boot from USB) taking up a lot of time lately.

GOOD SIR IF YOU HAVE NOT INSTALLED WINDOWS 98 BY SPLITTING THE INSTALL DISK INTO 418 PARTS AND MOVING IT FLOPPY DISK BY FLOPPY DISK TO THE TARGET COMPUTER you have not endured this pain but you soon will and good lord will i smile

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: September 24, 2013, 03:29:53 pm »

I think I'd rather smash my face in with a rusty hammer.  I had an old laptop I had to put DOS 6.22 on to via floppy before I could load Win98 via CD, but that was only six floppies.

If we're talking ancient, though, I have an 8 inch floppy on my shelf.  It's gloriously huge.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: September 24, 2013, 06:52:59 pm »

The other month the college I work at slinging coffee had a big power outage. I ride home with my Father, who works in IT. Nothing happened that night, but once they got the power back (a day or two later), all the computers and servers had to be rebooted, in the correct orders, and all the systems had to be checked and double checked that all their dependencies were working, and nothing was broken from the hasty shutdown, etc.

This took all night.

So I slept in my dad's office, while the entire crew went back and forth, and while some of them had an hour or two between tasks (they were done with whatever areas they specialized in, for a while), they'd entertain themselves. Me, since I don't work in IT (I work in Tim Hortons on the other side of the college), I had no tasks, but when I woke up for a while, I decided to chat with some of them.

My dad's boss has an RPG on punch cards.
He also has a hard-drive made of... looked like vinyl records to me, enough of them to be almost as tall as me.

Worst I've ever done myself is install a 3D modeling program from 5 floppies.

Tell me, what on EARTH is booting from USB? I've never heard of it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: September 24, 2013, 06:59:19 pm »

My dad's boss has an RPG on punch cards.
He also has a hard-drive made of... looked like vinyl records to me, enough of them to be almost as tall as me.
What.
Woah.

From what little I know about computers, I'm guessing that it involves either booting up with a device in the USB port or booting up via an OS on a system connected by USB cable.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: September 24, 2013, 07:00:56 pm »

A modern convenience where you can use a USB stick as the boot device. Not present on most computers made before the last several years, but carrying around USB boot drives is a lot more convenient than CDs.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: September 24, 2013, 07:28:19 pm »

Sure it wasn't this RPG?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:41 pm »

A modern convenience where you can use a USB stick as the boot device. Not present on most computers made before the last several years, but carrying around USB boot drives is a lot more convenient than CDs.

This is one of the best recent inventions ever.

-unrelated IT story-
When I was a freshman in college one of the upper-class guys got permission to dig through the university's deprecated hardware, put win 98 on there and loan them out to students so they could check email from their rooms and stuff. The warehouse was hilarious (ERMAGERD 30" CRT monitor! but it had its own proprietary vid card still attached and the card had proprietary pins... so it was useless even in glorious VGA). I nicked an old 486 ceramic and 8" heat sink, dunno where they are... anyways. One of the guys I took a remade machine to was... well he wasn't really dumb per se, just technologically unsavvy. I had to go back there twice because he kept plugging a phone cord into the ethernet jack. He'd get pissed at me because it didn't work, then do it again.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: September 24, 2013, 07:43:34 pm »

I got a call once about a scanner that wasn't working.  The previous user of the scanner (who had just quit) ate so much salty crap at her desk that the scanner buttons were crusted stuck with salt.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: September 24, 2013, 07:58:19 pm »

Spoiler: IT derail (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:01:22 pm by freeformschooler »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: September 24, 2013, 08:04:16 pm »

"Dammit, I can't service the credit cards of time travellers. They're probably from some kind of postapocalyptic future where they can't get things with credit cards, we wouldn't be able to collect. Like, ever."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: September 24, 2013, 08:10:29 pm »

Sure it wasn't this RPG?
Yup. He said it was one of the first games like it.
Though I might be misremembering.

...Come to think of it, heheh, it might have been cassettes. Sorry.

Edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 08:16:43 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: September 24, 2013, 08:20:31 pm »

Spoiler: IT lol (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32:25 pm »

What's WinME?
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: September 24, 2013, 08:35:29 pm »

Let me rephrase that: What's so horrible about WinME?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 1544