Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3896539 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: Oric the Frugal
« Reply #8265 on: August 14, 2013, 08:34:24 pm »

Enough jabber!  Southwardly!

+1

Also, as far as convincing Oric to move the Awesome Shack, maybe we should actually find a plausible place for him to move it first? Our bluff would fail pretty hard if we couldn't even name a valid room on this floor.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8266 on: August 14, 2013, 08:54:36 pm »

Maybe we should instead find out what the opposite of awesome is and see what happens if we make him hold it. REVERSE THE POLARITIES! wait no that's the wrong line... Er... I got nothing.

ss4mario

• Bay Watcher
  • ( ’-’)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8267 on: August 14, 2013, 09:17:55 pm »

Enough jabber!  Southwardly!

+1

Also, as far as convincing Oric to move the Awesome Shack, maybe we should actually find a plausible place for him to move it first? Our bluff would fail pretty hard if we couldn't even name a valid room on this floor.

You're right. +1. -1 to my idea.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8268 on: August 14, 2013, 10:10:10 pm »

Something I realized recently, in between Tattling Oric and Spira, and scanning with the Eye.

Anyone else find it weird that Oric's Tattle Log displayed HP and SP, while Spira didn't? Combined with the fact that we can get absolutely zero useful information out of Spira (Even less than normal--it didn't even tell us our clearance wasn't high enough, we just got static that may or may not have encoded information in it), I'm wondering if Oric is not, in fact, the Final Boss. It might be Spira or whoever's in charge of these Angels.

Leans even more towards eventually allying with Oric.

I'm also kind of puzzled why Oric wouldn't even divulge about the horrible monster. He has a +10 to Awesome. If the anti-magic field is up just to deal with The Horrible Beast From The Pit, and Oric can create such a field at will, why doesn't he just purge The Horrible Beast From The Pit himself and then turn off the field? I can see only a few likely scenarios. One, he can't kill the thing himself (for whatever reason), which means that having outside help is a good idea. Made slightly more possible given that I'm not entirely convinced Oric is really as final a boss as we give him credit. (Still nothing I want anything to do with, but if he's not the single strongest entity in the Warrens then it makes sense.) Two, he might just be flat-out lying to us about the creature and/or the field--in which case, why would we trust him to give us accurate information in exchange for gold? Especially if he can just smite us and take our money.

South it is, I don't entirely trust that Oric will even tell us what we want to know if we pay him, but we're not going to get anything useful down here one way or the other.

Also I feel it necessary to punch in the face, whoever suggested Windirectioning across the pit for the shovel (which we now know is a key). We can't do that because of the GOD DAMN -10 TO MAGIC ON THIS FLOOR. Which should be our first priority in alleviating. According to Oric (who we may or may not be able to trust as far as we can throw him), he put the field up himself (implying he can take it down) and that he did so because of a ridiculously powerful magic-using creature on this floor (who may or may not be Cain, and irregardless we should look into slaying/recruiting/neutralizing said creature as a bargaining chip to get Oric to give us our magics back). If we aren't going to be able to turn magic back on, the next best thing is to find a passage off this DL (in either direction) and get the fuck out of here so that we can use our SP. We can't even BLOODSHAPE down here. No wonder the stupid hat was just lying around.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8269 on: August 14, 2013, 10:20:38 pm »

Something I realized recently, in between Tattling Oric and Spira, and scanning with the Eye.

Anyone else find it weird that Oric's Tattle Log displayed HP and SP, while Spira didn't? Combined with the fact that we can get absolutely zero useful information out of Spira (Even less than normal--it didn't even tell us our clearance wasn't high enough, we just got static that may or may not have encoded information in it), I'm wondering if Oric is not, in fact, the Final Boss. It might be Spira or whoever's in charge of these Angels.

Bear in mind bizarreness or wrongness don't necessarily correlate with strength or authority. There's obviously something going on with her/them, but it's not necessarily that.

I'm also kind of puzzled why Oric wouldn't even divulge about the horrible monster. He has a +10 to Awesome. If the anti-magic field is up just to deal with The Horrible Beast From The Pit, and Oric can create such a field at will, why doesn't he just purge The Horrible Beast From The Pit himself and then turn off the field? I can see only a few likely scenarios. One, he can't kill the thing himself (for whatever reason), which means that having outside help is a good idea. Made slightly more possible given that I'm not entirely convinced Oric is really as final a boss as we give him credit. (Still nothing I want anything to do with, but if he's not the single strongest entity in the Warrens then it makes sense.) Two, he might just be flat-out lying to us about the creature and/or the field--in which case, why would we trust him to give us accurate information in exchange for gold? Especially if he can just smite us and take our money.
This goes back to my "We don't know anything about anything so it's hard to say" spiel. Why doesn't Oric kill The Beast? Why would he kill The Beast? Why is there a The Beast in the first place? Why's there an Oric in the first place?

Personally, the notion that he wants it dead just because he's keeping it caged doesn't sound very convincing to me. Doubly so if it's what we think it is, in which case it's far more useful to him as a symbol of authority and Ciro-thing than it is never existing.

Plus other things.

Finally, I'm not too keen on the whole hierarchy/final boss mentality anyway. Who says there's a "final boss?" Can't Oric just be really strong and in charge and then have a bunch of underlings and powerful independent actors moving around?

I don't think it's a useful way of thinking of things, even if the Warrens hierarchy does turn out to be fairly linear, predictable, and relevant.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8270 on: August 14, 2013, 10:30:08 pm »

It occurs to me that we can't jibe Oric directly since he charges for plot information, but maybe we should be poking PROXXY about the incongruities here.

"Hey Proxxy, isn't it weird that Oric said he wanted us dead, and now he doesn't care we're in the same party?"

If nothing else, more food for thought to keep her on our side longer.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8271 on: August 14, 2013, 10:49:54 pm »

South it is, I don't entirely trust that Oric will even tell us what we want to know if we pay him, but we're not going to get anything useful down here one way or the other.

Also I feel it necessary to punch in the face, whoever suggested Windirectioning across the pit for the shovel (which we now know is a key). We can't do that because of the GOD DAMN -10 TO MAGIC ON THIS FLOOR. Which should be our first priority in alleviating. According to Oric (who we may or may not be able to trust as far as we can throw him), he put the field up himself (implying he can take it down) and that he did so because of a ridiculously powerful magic-using creature on this floor (who may or may not be Cain, and irregardless we should look into slaying/recruiting/neutralizing said creature as a bargaining chip to get Oric to give us our magics back). If we aren't going to be able to turn magic back on, the next best thing is to find a passage off this DL (in either direction) and get the fuck out of here so that we can use our SP. We can't even BLOODSHAPE down here. No wonder the stupid hat was just lying around.

I don't know if this has been suggested before (probably), but this post made me think, what if we have it backwards? What if Oric and the Siblings are the protagonists, and the Angels are the antagonists? The Angels wanted to turn Ciro into an anti-hero by having him/her kill all of his/her Siblings, but instead we chose to ally with Riltia and now Proxxy.

What if Oric is actually the main character?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8272 on: August 14, 2013, 11:17:19 pm »

+1 to asking about the reverse name.
I just want to know how cryptic Oric can get in his answers.
Ask if we can get cryptic and untrustworthy answers for free.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8273 on: August 14, 2013, 11:40:20 pm »

I wonder if there's a special reason Oric's icon in the Astral Influx was all screwy. Y'know, beyond the "absolutely not" GM interference aspect.

It seems the Astral Influx adds anyone nearby who isn't Illborn (e.g has Soul Charge)  Possibly this is indicative of Oric's own Soul Charge in some way? Maybe he's on, like, Soul life support or something, and the reason he's presumably farming Soul Charge is because he's incapable of recovering it on his own. The Warrens is like an elaborate dialysis machine for Oric's soul, to keep him from pulling a Yaos.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8274 on: August 14, 2013, 11:56:35 pm »

I wonder if there's a special reason Oric's icon in the Astral Influx was all screwy. Y'know, beyond the "absolutely not" GM interference aspect.

It seems the Astral Influx adds anyone nearby who isn't Illborn (e.g has Soul Charge)  Possibly this is indicative of Oric's own Soul Charge in some way? Maybe he's on, like, Soul life support or something, and the reason he's presumably farming Soul Charge is because he's incapable of recovering it on his own. The Warrens is like an elaborate dialysis machine for Oric's soul, to keep him from pulling a Yaos.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8275 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:59 am »

Grinding is the opposite of what you do when reading a book.
Clearly you never read the Wheel of Time series.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8276 on: August 15, 2013, 12:36:55 am »

+1 to asking about the reverse name.
I just want to know how cryptic Oric can get in his answers.
Ask if we can get cryptic and untrustworthy answers for free.
inb4 Oric charges us for him to answer about answering questions.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #8277 on: August 15, 2013, 01:53:44 am »

While I agree about grinding being bad, I fail to see the relevance to this game. If people decide to drain the fountain, just do so in one update and explore the possibilities this opens. If people decide to grind, just slap them with insanity penalties while making the proceedings sound as hilarious as possib-oh wait, this already happened.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8278 on: August 15, 2013, 02:00:11 am »

I feel like it might be more of a "this is what will happen when you people do grindy-things, this is what has happened when you people do grindy-things, there is no escaping this reality so stop wasting everyone's time and..."

GET ON WITH IT!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8279 on: August 15, 2013, 02:34:37 am »

Maybe Cain is the Beast? After all, he is chained and so. And if he is, there must be something stopping Oric from killing him. It probably has to do with the stability of the floor.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 550 551 [552] 553 554 ... 1544