Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3894615 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

1. They also have other ranged attacks. Besides, I figure even Wisps understand the basic concept of "Making the enemies die is good"...especially since Cherish, our healer, is also low on HP.
They do? Goombess didn't mention anything on the boss.

As for targeting, I have no doubt wisps like killing things. I do doubt their bloodthirst is such that they'll go after far away targets that aren't doing anything over close targets that are attacking them. I'd be thrilled to find out they're vulnerable to such kiting, in fact.

2. It was to let Cherish and Goom-Bess recover without losing our progress and while still dealing damage.
...you really think it'll take them less time (and not break the party or similar) for them to run back to base, heal up, and run back than for Ciro to die to two wisps and a boss wisp?

Or the boss following us, or the boss spawning with more goons when we return, or the level changing and rendering us unable to get back to the restore point without running into trouble.
1. I don't think the boss can even fit through the door. And if so, so what? It has shown no ability to move faster than us--or at all without leaping--and so we could easily escape it/lose it.
2. Any option but staying and fighting has that.
I'd lean towards it not being very mobile, but I'd lean towards it being completely useless at extreme range also. It's another unknown quantity that makes the plan more dubious.

And yes, that's what I'm getting at.

Again, I could be wrong, but I tend to be wary of any plan that promises to let us acquire loot and achieve objectives with zero risk or cost involved, like auto-fleeing a battle at any time, restoring to full, and then trying it again at our leisure.
It's got a better chance of success than attacking when we're weak.
Look at it this way: A damaged party of adventurers comes across a strong party of monsters. They could return to the Pool of Healing earlier in the cave, or fight them now. Which should they choose?
That's the problem. Suppose we're talking about a Roguelike. Is the game really going to let you do that without consequence?

Better yet, just look at precisely the situation we've got: A full-health band of adventurers engages a strong party of monsters, makes some mistakes, and becomes heavily damaged. They're now about to attempt to flee, heal up, and return to try the encounter again, presumably with 100% success and no side effects.

Is it really likely to be that easy?

Doesn't sound likely; I'm guessing off the screen means out of targeting range.

So am I, but it's worth a shot.
If it's a free shot, yes. If it requires sacrificing max MP to craft a weapon we don't need- and in fact, is probably worse than her current one- solely for that purpose, no.

I mean, I'm all for experimentation and improving our arsenal, but not for niche stuff like this unless we have a very concrete, viable plan. Enchanting Riltia's spear to take out Proxxy was a good example of that.
Wut? Many of us seem to like the idea of making a new ice-based skill or two, but we don't know what it will do, and given what the plant one ended up as, it might not be all that directly useful. I suggested a possible use of an ice skill if it isn't just a fire-at-enemy one, not that we should hold out all our hope for it being usable for that. Also, making a bloodshape item is a temporary thing, we can always re-absorb it.
And if we use ice and an MP-water-jug, all we lose is:
-MP-water (infinitely replenishable)
-Ice (we just need the Ice Spear and water)
-A glass bottle (sad, but one comes free with each purchase of a Health or Mana Potion)
I'd still prefer something involving acid. Then again, I'd prefer chain-crafting skills using renewable reagent matrices in an attempt to figure out a pattern.

You know what, let's just assume all future objections to making an icewater skill stem from my desire to complete The Chart. And thinking Acid + Blood is a more promising combination.

Yes, bloodshaping is reversible. But if there's no point making it in the first place, that's not very comforting.

It's like suggesting that we not make another skill now because we can always make one later.

Not true! There were SEVERAL basic things we could have done to keep Slog alive! Truly, his was an easily preventable death.

Like maybe just not fight a search bot. I mean, if you look back at the archives, at least one character has died literally every time we have fought a search bot. Ciro died during the first search bot fight, Riltia died during the second search bot fight (with Wilford as collateral), Al arguably died during what may or may not have been a third search bot fight, and Slog died during the last search bot fight.

Yaos died directly after the last search bot fight. Coincidence? I think not.
...another thing that I've missed completely.

I'm officially having mixed opinions about the continuation of this game.

It seems like every single time there's an open-ended choice (aka every choice), we pick the dumbest possible option, and none of us at all can manage to think far enough outside the box to come up with something with a feasible chance at working. Furthermore, our chances of success are diminished further because we're all bickering and trying to shoot down/upvote each others idiotic plans.

But the few times we DO start thinking, we overthink the solution by ten thousand miles, and do something equally stupid. If not more stupid.

I personally don't see any option we can take at this point that doesn't result in the death of somebody. At this point, I'm seriously considering leaving Goombess to die, just because it would be less of a hit than losing Ciro or Cherish. Or both of them. Hell, I don't even think the Astral Influx can save us at this point.

I'm also not sure how my general sentiment is, on the whole of this game. While it's kind of funny to watch the MC fail hilariously, not only have our recent failures been the antithesis of hilarious, it's not fun to watch the MCs have just failure after failure and descend irrevocably into death, spiraling into the abyss, never catching a break, and being doomed to end in demise, with a penultimate success for the villains. I recall early on that it was mentioned we had ended up, not in a grimdark campaign, but in a Shakespearian tragedy. It's looking more and more like we're going to fulfill every bit of that mandate, down to a TPK and victory for Oric and his cronies.

:(
Well, the solution to being stupid is to stop being stupid, not to give up and admit that we'll always be stupid.

As for the current situation, it's really not grim so much as unpredictable. We have two basic options, run or fight, and both of them are made entirely of uncertainties. Can we run without needing a roll or taking parting shots? Will throwing the wisps under the Boss Wisp kill or heal them? What happens to bosses when we flee? How much is Cherish going to heal herself for?

If everything functions like we want it to and our rolls are good, either plan would pretty much be guaranteed success. If we're mistaken or ignorant of something important, and/or if we roll poorly, things might go to hell. And even then, Ciro's got plenty of health and our allies would take an action each to drop, so I don't see this ending in a TPK unless things go really wrong.

I'm dubious that leaving Goombess behind would improve the odds of the running plan, incidentally.

The Warrens seem to be a pretty bleak, messed up place, but I really don't see the spiral of failure and loss you're talking about. Again, what have we lost? Slog until we recover Al, Yaos admittedly, Al and Riltia until we rescue them hopefully, and that's about it.

We're getting better, both in tactics and raw power, and we've yet to go up against anything we simply physically can't beat, though we have had a lot of situations where failure was necessary to figure out what was happening. I don't think we have enough information to say exactly how this place works, but I certainly don't see our defeat as inevitable just on the basis of being too goddamned stupid to succeed.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can run without making a roll, if that's any consolation.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I'm officially having mixed opinions about the continuation of this game...
Then don't. I promise no one will be angry if you stop following and posting on this game. Certainly, we'll be less angry about that than over the fact that you basically just called us idiots.

1. They also have other ranged attacks. Besides, I figure even Wisps understand the basic concept of "Making the enemies die is good"...especially since Cherish, our healer, is also low on HP.
They do? Goombess didn't mention anything on the boss.
The shocks.

2. It was to let Cherish and Goom-Bess recover without losing our progress and while still dealing damage.
...you really think it'll take them less time (and not break the party or similar) for them to run back to base, heal up, and run back than for Ciro to die to two wisps and a boss wisp?
Yes. And if that fails, there's always to option of Ciro running as well.
Oh, and did I mention that I no longer support that plan, upon having heard about other things we could do and realizing that the Big Wisp's MHP was much lower than I had thought?

Or the boss following us, or the boss spawning with more goons when we return, or the level changing and rendering us unable to get back to the restore point without running into trouble.
1. I don't think the boss can even fit through the door. And if so, so what? It has shown no ability to move faster than us--or at all without leaping--and so we could easily escape it/lose it.
2. Any option but staying and fighting has that.
I'd lean towards it not being very mobile, but I'd lean towards it being completely useless at extreme range also. It's another unknown quantity that makes the plan more dubious.
Point to one example of the Big Wisp walking. Point to one iota of evidence that it can fit through the door.

And yes, that's what I'm getting at.
Really? You don't think Ciro can last against the Wisps long enough for Cherish and Goom-Bess to run out, heal and such, and return...but you think that Ciro can kill them all by herself when they're on the other side of the room? Are there Cheerleader bonuses I've missed?

Again, I could be wrong, but I tend to be wary of any plan that promises to let us acquire loot and achieve objectives with zero risk or cost involved, like auto-fleeing a battle at any time, restoring to full, and then trying it again at our leisure.
It's got a better chance of success than attacking when we're weak.
Look at it this way: A damaged party of adventurers comes across a strong party of monsters. They could return to the Pool of Healing earlier in the cave, or fight them now. Which should they choose?
That's the problem. Suppose we're talking about a Roguelike. Is the game really going to let you do that without consequence?
It's an example of a situation where one choice is clearly better than the other. It's not perfect, but it's better than staying and fighting when health is so low.
It's also basically what we're talking about doing.

Better yet, just look at precisely the situation we've got: A full-health band of adventurers engages a strong party of monsters, makes some mistakes, and becomes heavily damaged. They're now about to attempt to flee, heal up, and return to try the encounter again, presumably with 100% success and no side effects.

Is it really likely to be that easy?
No, but the issues will be in the battle, not the healing.
Side effects such as what, exactly?

I'd still prefer something involving acid.
In the future. Right now, ice skills are useful.

You know what, let's just assume all future objections to making an icewater skill stem from my desire to complete The Chart. And thinking Acid + Blood is a more promising combination.
We can still do that if we try making the ice skill.

It's like suggesting that we not make another skill now because we can always make one later.
If you wanted to give the party some downtime, we could make both. That timer doesn't count down in updates, that's clear enough.

As for the current situation, it's really not grim so much as unpredictable. We have two basic options, run or fight, and both of them are made entirely of uncertainties. Can we run without needing a roll or taking parting shots?
Yes.
You can run without making a roll, if that's any consolation.

I'm dubious that leaving Goombess behind would improve the odds of the running plan, incidentally.
Agreed, but who suggested leaving Goom-Bess behind?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:47:15 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

OK, back up way to dangerous plan.

Jump of the platforms.

It's unlikely to kill us. Most likely, we end in between space, or are just dropped back into the area.

More reasonable plan.

Jump and hang from a ledge. Pray that the enemy can only hover, not fly(and hence can fall into the abyss.)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jump of the platforms.

It's unlikely to kill us. Most likely, we end in between space, or are just dropped back into the area.
Or we fall for an update or two before messily splattering against the floor and switching to Al or Riltia.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

Jump of the platforms.

Or we fall for an update or two before messily splattering against the floor and switching to Al or Riltia.
...And immediatly get tortured to death, switching to Oric. BEST PLAN EVER

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Jump of the platforms.

More reasonable plan.

Jump and hang from a ledge. Pray that the enemy can only hover, not fly(and hence can fall into the abyss.)
I'm pretty sure FFS implied at one point that jumping in the void would be a VERY VERY bad thing.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so the gm finally came down and told you that you've been doing this wrong while my nonsensical shenanigans would have probably brought us more good than you managed

(╯°□°)╯︵ sʎnƃ pɐɯ uǝʌǝ ʇou ɯ,ı

i just had to do this bit of gloating before you get someone else brutally murdered and then i possibly finally get to kickstart my "how to teleport to dungeon level 4" scheme

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

Guys if we do leave we should bring the spell book with us when we retry

--->Cast Windirection
--->Hover over Void
--->Wait for big wisp to jump
---> Profit!
It's FEF, not FEOF

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guys if we do leave we should bring the spell book back with us.

--->Cast Windirection
--->Hover over Void
--->Wait for wisp to jump
---> Profit!
This is brilliant! Worst-case-scenario, the Big Wisp decides not to leap and we can whittle them down from a distance.
Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Guys if we do leave we should bring the spell book back with us.

--->Cast Windirection
--->Hover over Void
--->Wait for wisp to jump
---> Profit!
This is brilliant! Worst-case-scenario, the Big Wisp decides not to leap and we can whittle them down from a distance.
And then completely forget about the fact that winddirection doesn't last forever.
I approve of this plan, but we MUST NOT FORGET THAT IT WEARS OFF.
I don't want us to fall into the goddamn void because of something that stupid.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think that, as it requires no roll, running would be te best alternative, or at least the one which guarantees our survival.

What should we do when we flee:

1-Craft ice damaging spell
Spoiler: My suggestion (click to show/hide)

2-Heal, restore SP (maybe cast warzone and restore SP again, the buff is spent in a battle turn, so maybe it lasts)

What to do when we come back:

1-Diplomacy (because it won't hurt trying)

2-Shenanigans (Say to the little wisps that his father has never shown them their mother, or whatever prank you can think)

3-Making BW fall into the void

4-DPS race (if everything fails)

So, any ideas on this?

EDIT:
Take hard hat and make Goombess tank with it. It's a damn 5 damage reduction bonus, so it's more that those weak attacks. PS: remember to explicity tell Goombess to guard, so that we can actually make good use of the bonus this time.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why would the MP-restoring effect be bad?

2-Heal, restore SP (maybe cast warzone and restore SP again, the buff is spent in a battle turn, so maybe it lasts)
Duh, duh, and hm...

What to do when we come back:

1-Diplomacy (because it won't hurt trying)

2-Shenanigans (Say to the little wisps that his father has never shown them their mother, or whatever prank you can think)

3-Making BW fall into the void

4-DPS race (if everything fails)
Sounds like a plan. Good as any.

EDIT:
Take hard hat and make Goombess tank with it. It's a damn 5 damage reduction bonus, so it's more that those weak attacks. PS: remember to explicity tell Goombess to guard, so that we can actually make good use of the bonus this time.
+1, unless she's needed to do something else. On that note, have Goom-Bess use her Tattletale ability to either distract the Wisps or remember/learn information to taunt them.
Sig

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Because we don't want to restore enemy SP?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because we want a damaging spell, right? Maybe we end up having a spell which freezes them, does no damage, and regenerates SP. I'd rather try with normal water first.
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 1544