Poll

Who's excited for Warrens' return?

me
- 8 (16%)
me
- 2 (4%)
me
- 5 (10%)
help i'm trapped in a poll i don't know why i'm here i'm so scared someone please help
- 29 (58%)
me
- 6 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1544

Author Topic: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome ???  (Read 3897237 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: (ISG) The Warrens of Oric the Awesome: No updates for quite a while
« Reply #7020 on: July 08, 2013, 03:04:47 am »

It would probably be too much work to get it right anyway.
To explain the title: I'm not going to be updating anything for quite a bit. Like a week or more. Might even disappear entirely other than posting in FEF. Sorry, but real life comes first.

I'm getting really burnt out on forum games in general, too. It's not really the ideal time to be continuously producing updates for perfect strangers that I (mostly) hate. Maybe I'll come back to this with some different perspectives.
Aw. Well, good luck with whatever it is that needs doing, and I hope you come back refreshed.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7021 on: July 08, 2013, 06:44:30 am »

So, um... Here's my question, regarding tactical combat. Does anybody remember what the penalty is for using a medium range weapon at long range? Cause I'm thinking, since we know that Wisps have ranged attacks, and that since we know their attacks are medium range, if we could just stay at long range and pepper them with bullets and take advantage of the penalty they have and just wear them down. I'm also not sure if this plan would benefit from or suffer from a switch to tactical combat, as the consensus seems to be right now.
Our attacks are Medium-range, too.

And if we go for the convincing the wisps not to join us, the insanity penalty will just become a +20 most likely.
If so, then our next course of action should be phrasing the request in such an odd and colnvoluted way that FFS gets confused in which direction insanity should apply.
Sigh.
No matter what, the wisps will keep attacking.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: July 08, 2013, 05:17:50 pm »

So, um... Here's my question, regarding tactical combat. Does anybody remember what the penalty is for using a medium range weapon at long range? Cause I'm thinking, since we know that Wisps have ranged attacks, and that since we know their attacks are medium range, if we could just stay at long range and pepper them with bullets and take advantage of the penalty they have and just wear them down. I'm also not sure if this plan would benefit from or suffer from a switch to tactical combat, as the consensus seems to be right now.

And if we go for the convincing the wisps not to join us, the insanity penalty will just become a +20 most likely.
If so, then our next course of action should be phrasing the request in such an odd and colnvoluted way that FFS gets confused in which direction insanity should apply.
Sigh.

I feel like you're just here to complain. You don't ever actually offer useful suggestions, you just snipe at other people. Granted, I should have explicitly mentioned that we can bloodshape long range weapons at will, but I'm doing that now. As far as the diplomancing, I'm pretty sure that the entire page before your post was mentioning how we weren't going to try that.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: July 08, 2013, 06:06:29 pm »

Sigh.

I feel like you're just here to complain. You don't ever actually offer useful suggestions, you just snipe at other people. Granted, I should have explicitly mentioned that we can bloodshape long range weapons at will, but I'm doing that now. As far as the diplomancing, I'm pretty sure that the entire page before your post was mentioning how we weren't going to try that.

Go back and read through the thread, then. GWG often offers useful suggestions, but they get drowned out by the idiotic suggestions that he is arguing against.

Also, personal attacks because someone disagrees with your suggestion is childish. Shame on you.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7024 on: July 08, 2013, 07:35:02 pm »

I feel like you're just here to complain. You don't ever actually offer useful suggestions, you just snipe at other people.
True in the recent past, but that's mostly because I just had to +1 the good ideas some others posted before me.
False in the long run.

Granted, I should have explicitly mentioned that we can bloodshape long range weapons at will, but I'm doing that now.
So?
That doesn't mean we should...or that we have time to...

As far as the diplomancing, I'm pretty sure that the entire page before your post was mentioning how we weren't going to try that.
Which hasn't stopped some people from suggesting it.

And thank you, Mego, for being mature and supporting my dislike of and arguments against short-sighted and annoying fools. And ad hominem.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: July 08, 2013, 07:41:30 pm »

It is true, it takes about a turn to pull of a bloodshaping, and we're already in striking range. Its a good idea outside of combat, but inside not so much unless we know they can't get to us. That and it falls to a roll of the die as to if that works, an unmodified one at that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: July 08, 2013, 07:49:36 pm »

And if it fails, it could damage us.
Sig

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: July 08, 2013, 08:02:11 pm »

Indeed. Its overall only something to use out of combat, which isn't that bad considering from what I understand about this we have to Batman our way through stuff instead of just charge through with our head out first and hope we don't hit something harder than our skull.

The enemies have the initiative, which is a dangerous thing, so going tactical and trying to figure out the quirks of that in this relatively 'harmless' fight now instead of later when in a boss battle will benefit us.

Scionox

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: July 08, 2013, 08:11:08 pm »

The savepoint/fountain/healing is 2-3 rooms away... we don't need to worry about hp and such.  ::)
Rawr

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: July 08, 2013, 08:35:32 pm »

Exactly! This is a perfect opportunity to find ways to exploit the tactical function unmercifully.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:03 pm »

How about we have Ciro and Goom-bess fight while Cherish stand back and ceaselessly babble diplomacy at the wisps to take off their concentration?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:32 pm »

How about we have Ciro and Goom-bess fight while Cherish stand back and ceaselessly babble diplomacy at the wisps to take off their concentration?
Why?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: July 08, 2013, 09:32:56 pm »

I stand by my previous -1 to further diplomacy. It was sort of worth a shot before combat began, but once we started getting the insanity penalty and got attacked, it's no longer remotely close to a reasonable action. We are going to have to kill these wisps. We are going to have to kill these wisps. I typed that twice on purpose. And just in case it wasn't abundantly clear, we are going to have to kill these wisps. Tactical combat is the best solution we have right now, because it doesn't rely on dice rolls.

As for the future, -1 to attempting to recruit Proxxy. My reasons for this:

• It probably won't work. The only reason we were able to recruit Riltia at the beginning was due to her having no clue that she is a Sibling and therefore should be working for Oric and trying to kill Ciro. It's possible she still has no clue.
  • Proxxy is powerful. If we want to have a snowball's chance of killing her, we will need to strike quickly. We need to get an attack in first. Attempting diplomacy will just open up ourselves to an attack.
  • We are supposed to kill Proxxy. If we want to advance in the story, we'll need to do what we're meant to do: kill Siblings. Proxxy is hostile towards us, and will try to kill us. We need to kill her first. In the words of Captain Malcolm Reynolds, "If someone tries to kill you, you kill them right back."

As an implication of #3, like I stated earlier, we will need to kill Riltia at some point, too. Not yet, because she's useful and friendly. But if she stops being either one of those, we should consider actually doing what the angel statues told us.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44:59 pm »

• It probably won't work. The only reason we were able to recruit Riltia at the beginning was due to her having no clue that she is a Sibling and therefore should be working for Oric and trying to kill Ciro. It's possible she still has no clue.
  • Proxxy is powerful. If we want to have a snowball's chance of killing her, we will need to strike quickly. We need to get an attack in first. Attempting diplomacy will just open up ourselves to an attack.
  • We are supposed to kill Proxxy. If we want to advance in the story, we'll need to do what we're meant to do: kill Siblings. Proxxy is hostile towards us, and will try to kill us. We need to kill her first. In the words of Captain Malcolm Reynolds, "If someone tries to kill you, you kill them right back."

As an implication of #3, like I stated earlier, we will need to kill Riltia at some point, too. Not yet, because she's useful and friendly. But if she stops being either one of those, we should consider actually doing what the angel statues told us.
1. Our shotgun diplomacy is strong. Proxxy would probably rather work with us than die, at an absolute minimum. More likely, she has plans of her own and therefore some measure of use for us.
2. She has 8 hp, and her strength is another reason to recruit her. If we can't afford a round of diplomacy, we shouldn't have engaged her in the first place, because we're probably a bad roll from her murdering us even if we do go all in.
3. We have no reason to believe this other than that it's been implied to happen in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if we need to defeat Siblings to get deeper into the dungeon, but we're not even a hundred percent sure of that. You're also mixing this argument with "she's hostile therefore we have no choice," which implies to me that you know neither argument is really valid.

Also, I'm offended at the notion that we should kill one of our only friends and possible romantic interests because a statue told us to.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: July 08, 2013, 09:54:12 pm »

1. Our shotgun diplomacy is strong. Proxxy would probably rather work with us than die, at an absolute minimum. More likely, she has plans of her own and therefore some measure of use for us.
2. She has 8 hp, and her strength is another reason to recruit her. If we can't afford a round of diplomacy, we shouldn't have engaged her in the first place, because we're probably a bad roll from her murdering us even if we do go all in.
3. We have no reason to believe this other than that it's been implied to happen in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if we need to defeat Siblings to get deeper into the dungeon, but we're not even a hundred percent sure of that. You're also mixing this argument with "she's hostile therefore we have no choice," which implies to me that you know neither argument is really valid.

Also, I'm offended at the notion that we should kill one of our only friends and possible romantic interests because a statue told us to.

• In order for shotgun diplomacy to work, it would require Proxxy to believe we actually could kill her. If we want that, maybe we should actually defeat a Searchbot for once.
  • If we fail to recruit her, she will get the first attack. The risk is too much. And what makes you think we'll be fighting just her? It's more likely she'll have a Searchbot or two with her.
  • This is a parody of a typical dungeon crawler game. If you want to get to the next level, you have to defeat the dungeon's boss.
    We avoided that in DL1 by recruiting Riltia. Which, again, only worked because she had no clue she was supposed to be an enemy.

If the statues and Angels (Betweenford & co.) are related (and there are more reasons to believe so than not), and the Angels are on our side (remember, Betweenford gave us the Skill Tree) and against Oric (it's been theorized that they want to break the cycles by helping us defeat Oric), following their instructions is a pretty good idea.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 1544