Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 69

Author Topic: The Crossover Thread  (Read 94149 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Crossover Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2013, 07:45:40 pm »

Wait.
Void Dragon awakes, gets hold of Death Star.

Oh god. I wish I knew enough of Star Wars to write this. You've filled my brain with beautiful, beautiful images.

I could probably write it. I know a shitpile about WH40K and Star Wars. Even down to vague technical details on the Star Wars side!
How much do you want Hanslanda? $100? $500? I will pay for you to write that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2013, 07:49:35 pm »

But then again, you need to factor in the fact that they can assimilate other forms of life. Groxlisk? Krootling? Infested eldar?
Nids do that too, actually. Beyond the genestealers, it's noted that strains or hivefleets often get greater capabilities based on what they've eaten in the past. One that ate a craftworld gets better psyker capabilities, etc., so forth, so on.

As for the Ing, I'd honestly expect free floating warp daemons to eat them within, like, minutes. Depends on how their slice of existence interacted with the (incredibly hostile to basically everything) warp.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2013, 08:18:24 pm »

Not sure about the capabilities of the Ing, never got very far into Metroid Prime 2. IIRC however, they can't exist in the "normal" world without possessing a host. Kill the host creatures, Ing are helpless.

Here's where my knowledge really dips into Mwars fanon.

So the ing use these things called dark seeds. They implant the seed in the planet, and after a few months or so the planet is taken completely out of the host dimension and into the dark dimension. This gives a huuuuge advantage to Ing defensive positions, as to even attack them one needs to transfer to a hostile dimension.

The one thing you brought up was host creatures being a weak point, so consider this.

On an imperium Hive Planet, psykers detect a large absence in the void moving closer and closer to the planet. After much investigation, local authorities would maybe say that it is a natural phenomenon. However, after a few months with a large void-phenomenon in orbit, entire legions of PD forces are converted by Ing insurgents. the very wildlife itself begins to turn on the planetary defensive positions. Void shields start failing, planetary guns go out of commission, or start firing on the Planetary Defense Fleet. The Imperial guard is thrown out of whack, and all their efforts go to waste on an enemy which does not even reside in their own dimension.

Then, the seed comes into the host dimension. A large organic leviathan, the Planetary Fleet is helpless to stop it from landing.

When it lands, it begins the conversion process. Over the weeks, slowly, mile by mile, the seed takes the planet into the dark dimension. Fleet actions are useless, as atmospheric phenomenon cuts off any form of help for the planetside forces. Eventually, the Imperium at large resorts to exterminatus. But when the phenomenon clears, the planet is no longer there.

Gone in only a few months, an entire planet snagged from the host dimension.

Rinse repeat for every solar system until world domination.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2013, 08:32:41 pm »

"An absence in the void" is seen as natural? The Imperium would be extremely wary of anything like that, fearing a Hive Fleet splinter on the way. They would martial their forces and probably try to destroy the source before it even reaches a planet.

And besides, how much is fanon allowed in a crossover discussion? I could always respond with something like "ANGRY MARINES DESTROY ING BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO ANGRY TO POSSESS". It should be mainly limited to canon capabilities whenever possible.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2013, 09:07:58 pm »

On an imperium Hive Planet, psykers detect a large absence in the void moving closer and closer to the planet. After much investigation, local authorities would maybe say that it is a natural phenomenon.
This is literally one of the first signs that a planet is about to be overrun by daemons or worse - swallowed by the warp, or some other beacon blocking entity like 3rd edition crons or nids.

At the very least you're looking at Ordos Xenos and Hereticus showing up to investigate this very unnatural phenomenon with their respective armed forces (varying from a single retinue to an entire fleet and their respective elite forces) and the Adeptus Administratum would send the nearby imperial guard legions and navies to find out wtf is going on.

If armed resistance is met, all hell breaks loose (once the necessary paperwork is done of course).

The Imperium does deal on an occasional basis with several factions (mostly chaos) stealing or attempting to steal entire planets. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't.
Chances are whatever the hypothetical situation, the Imperium have dealt with it before. Crossing 40k with other fluff is basically throwing stuff into a meat grinder and seeing how well they'll manage.

The Imperium is the Madagascar of fluff settings.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2013, 09:53:16 pm »

I think that we can mostly agree that whatever goes into WH40K doesn't come out.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2013, 09:54:50 pm »

Yeah, because something or other is gonna take it out eventually.

Should we have a blanket "No WH40k" rule here? Or should we limit any crossovers to individual characters or other small scale things?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2013, 09:57:25 pm »

I'd suggest the second. Unless we go full scale overkill like the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann vs. War God Demonbane.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2013, 09:59:53 pm »

I meant to say "any crossover involving 40k", but your idea might be better. I dunno.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2013, 10:29:58 pm »

I wouldn't want to restrict things like that, but it might be wise to only do large alliances of 'verses against 40K or battles with specific forcelimits or individuals.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2013, 10:58:28 pm »

A Spartan (Halo) in the 40k world. Or multiple.  Would be neat to see.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:15 pm »

I don't know how long they'd last. Especially up against Space Marines :|

Orks and Tyranids, they could put up a good fight against. IG would win eventually, thanks to their energy weapons. Tau, Necrons, and Eldar would likely cut them to pieces.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2013, 11:27:12 pm »

There's been at least a couple of pretty solid Halo/WH40k Xover fics, t'be honest. Spartans actually hold out alright in some ways versus some of 40k's tech, though there's ultimately nothing they can conceptually win against over a longer term... Spartans are basically just toned down Space Marines, with all that entails in WH40k verse. The AI coming along might make a bit of a difference, but... ehn. There's room for some interesting fiction for a displaced (or more likely, cyro-stored or somethin') Spartan in WH40k verse, but they'd definitely overall be an underdog.

On the same hand, though, a Spartan suit (especially if the AI came along) represents a good chunk of what amounts to Lostech (if somewhat unimpressive on a grander scale, with some exceptions [The AI and force field primarily, I think]), doubly so if the Spartan has a solid knowledge regarding construction and maintenance (Which... I don't know Halo fluff exactly well, but given their general profile I'd expect Spartans to be pretty capable on that front). Plus the Spartans would be pretty well inclined toward aiding the Imperium in general, so I wouldn't expect overt conflict. Ideological conflict, likely, but there's plenty of IoM's forces that are pretty flexible on that front.

That said, Orkz and 'nids would probably kick the everloving crap out of a Spartan in most cases. Either of 'ems a lot nastier than most of what Spartans deal with in general... barring maybe the Flood, but the Flood's kinda' special cased. Spartan'd probably be able to give a pretty good showing though, yeah. Maybe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2013, 11:32:40 pm »

I like the idea of Alliances of various universes against WH40K. It would be neat to watch Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek and Firefly 'verses go head to head with the IoM.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:29 pm »

If some enginseer decided that the Spartan's armor counted as Lost Tech...there would be no limits to the lengths that the Adeptus would go to acquire it by any means necessary. Best case scenario, they coerce the Spartan into cooperating with them. Worst case, the Mechanicus would have to settle for examining the charred remains. Remember, we're dealing with a cult that will willingly unearth Necron tombs for tech if they think they can get away with it.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 69