Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 69

Author Topic: The Crossover Thread  (Read 94148 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: The Crossover Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2013, 11:21:17 pm »

-snip for size-
Jeepers, and here I thought the WH40k universe raped physics hard enough already :P

Of course, the single biggest hurdle facing the Commander would be on the ground. The Imperium doesn't exactly lack things that can chew up building-sized mechs for breakfast, y'know. Hell, the sheer amount of dakka that a Leman Russ brigade can produce would probably bring it down. There are tanks that are referred to as "titan killers" for a reason. Or if it ran into an actual Titan; THAT would solve the problem quickly.

@ Hans: Refresh my memory, are the Imperators the super-ginormous titans or the smaller ones?

Imperators are the biggest Imperial titans. They have a massive battle-cathedral on their backs that has spires of guns and such on it that are the size of Warhound Scout Titans. It takes several Legios of smaller Titans to kill one.
Yeah, I'd have to go with the Titan in that case. I'm guessing that much firepower would be enough to vaporize Tokyo-3 without breaking a sweat. It all depends on if the AT-field decides to work or not, and how powerful it decides to be for that episode.

Now, a smaller titan, like maybe a Warhound...that I can see an Eva taking on reasonably well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:45 pm »

Let's say Arc-Gurren Lagann? Just to keep it fair.
That was the moon one, right?
The city-sized one. The moon was the Chouginga Dai-Gurren.

Also I cloned the GEoM once. Was kinda disappointing.
Why so?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:52 pm »

Let's go back to the whole "cloning the God-Emperor of Mankind" idea for a moment. Take Star Wars cloning tech: I think we've got sufficient evidence to conclude that it functions perfectly insofar as that it creates exact genetic duplicates of the original donor, but the issue is whether it would also function in such a way as to transfer the GEoM's pskyer ability/status as a living god to the clones.
Oh, from what I remember of Star Wars tech, at least some of its cloning techniques are capable of just... full capability cloning, or something very close to it. Palpatine used that junk more than once, and force capability/knowledge apparently transferred/copied just fine. S'been quite a few years since I read the books, though, and it's entirely possible I'm misremembering things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:55 pm »

FD, the Imperium would also never be able to see over its shoulder with that many pauldrons :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2013, 11:24:14 pm »

Let's go back to the whole "cloning the God-Emperor of Mankind" idea for a moment. Take Star Wars cloning tech: I think we've got sufficient evidence to conclude that it functions perfectly insofar as that it creates exact genetic duplicates of the original donor, but the issue is whether it would also function in such a way as to transfer the GEoM's pskyer ability/status as a living god to the clones. If so, any Imperium v. Empire scenario would end pretty much the moment a reasonably sound of mind Imperial got their hands on SW cloning tech and... Okay, it would be game over after several months/years/decades of travel, when it got back to Terra. I think the thought process there could probably follow this pattern:

[Assumption]: Cloning duplicates the body.
[Knowledge]: GEoM's body is failing, soul is intact.
[Knowledge]: GEoM is, as indicated by the name, a god.
[Assumption]: ∴ if a duplicate of the body of the GEoM were to exist, he could transfer himself to it.

(Note that this may take the form of the 'pull the plug' scenario with that splinter section that wants to go through with it.)

Once they clone the GEoM, assuming his status as a god is preserved, everything is irrelevant. You've got a GEoM with no experience (given that the Jango clones had to be taught everything during their development cycle rather than inheriting his knowledge), who will be raised by the bloody (in more than one sense, hah) Imperium. Best case scenario for everyone involved is that his natural talents and intelligence guide the clone onto the same path as his "father".

The worst-case scenario is that you have a God-Emperor of Mankind who completely buys into the superstitions and pathological hatreds of the Imperium, with the ability to clone himself endlessly. Every enemy of the Imperium would be overrun by a virtual tide of power-armored God-Emperor clones. It would turn the Imperium into the gorram 'Nids!

Imperium versus Empire would be over in a matter of weeks anyway, because the LARGEST SW ships are ALMOST but not quite the size of Imperium Cruisers. Of which there are very, very many. Unless you give the Empire all their superweapons. Then it gets more interesting. Then again, we also have to consider the fact that Empire FTL is way fucking faster, way more efficient, way more reliable, and way less likely to get your ass eaten by psychic manifestations of jealous and anger. So, the Empire could fight a very effective guerilla campaign against the Imperium.
Oh my god, the Empire would become the Rebels. Except with superweapons around their few stronghold worlds.

Yeah, I'd have to go with the Titan in that case. I'm guessing that much firepower would be enough to vaporize Tokyo-3 without breaking a sweat. It all depends on if the AT-field decides to work or not, and how powerful it decides to be for that episode.

Now, a smaller titan, like maybe a Warhound...that I can see an Eva taking on reasonably well.

An Imperator could vaporize Tokyo-3, yes. But it would have to be able to hit the fast little EVA, who could CLIMB THE FUCKING IMPERATOR LIKE A JUNGLE GYM. And all the EVA would have to do is get at the tasty, tasty Princeps and Moderati, and the Imperator is just... A giant jungle gym with anti-personnel weapons all over it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2013, 11:28:12 pm »

Let's go back to the whole "cloning the God-Emperor of Mankind" idea for a moment. Take Star Wars cloning tech: I think we've got sufficient evidence to conclude that it functions perfectly insofar as that it creates exact genetic duplicates of the original donor, but the issue is whether it would also function in such a way as to transfer the GEoM's pskyer ability/status as a living god to the clones.
Oh, from what I remember of Star Wars tech, at least some of its cloning techniques are capable of just... full capability cloning, or something very close to it. Palpatine used that junk more than once, and force capability/knowledge apparently transferred/copied just fine. S'been quite a few years since I read the books, though, and it's entirely possible I'm misremembering things.
You've pretty much got it right. Palpatine was very strong in the Force, and would basically move his conciousness from clone body to clone body.

Since the GEoM is far more powerful, I could see his mind and soul simply transferring into a new body with no loss.

@ Hans: Remember that the Angels could reliably penetrate AT fields without issue, as soon as an Eva showed up at times. I like to imagine Unit 01 popping out of that elevator contraption just in time to get a face full of plasma death. The Eva in question would have to survive getting shot at with no real cover until it could climb aboard, which would be...tricky.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2013, 11:29:14 pm »

-snip for size-
Jeepers, and here I thought the WH40k universe raped physics hard enough already :P

Of course, the single biggest hurdle facing the Commander would be on the ground. The Imperium doesn't exactly lack things that can chew up building-sized mechs for breakfast, y'know. Hell, the sheer amount of dakka that a Leman Russ brigade can produce would probably bring it down. There are tanks that are referred to as "titan killers" for a reason. Or if it ran into an actual Titan; THAT would solve the problem quickly.

@ Hans: Refresh my memory, are the Imperators the super-ginormous titans or the smaller ones?

Imperators are the biggest Imperial titans. They have a massive battle-cathedral on their backs that has spires of guns and such on it that are the size of Warhound Scout Titans. It takes several Legios of smaller Titans to kill one.

IIRC, an EVA and pilot could theoretically stop anything with their AT field, assuming sufficient strength of will. Given the sort of shit the Angels pulled with it, it would be absolutely terrifying if weaponized in a reliable form. Hell, you could probably make shipkillers that are essentially just a fighter with the proper sort of pilot forming an AT field wedge in front of it.

Let's go back to the whole "cloning the God-Emperor of Mankind" idea for a moment. Take Star Wars cloning tech: I think we've got sufficient evidence to conclude that it functions perfectly insofar as that it creates exact genetic duplicates of the original donor, but the issue is whether it would also function in such a way as to transfer the GEoM's pskyer ability/status as a living god to the clones. If so, any Imperium v. Empire scenario would end pretty much the moment a reasonably sound of mind Imperial got their hands on SW cloning tech and... Okay, it would be game over after several months/years/decades of travel, when it got back to Terra. I think the thought process there could probably follow this pattern:

[Assumption]: Cloning duplicates the body.
[Knowledge]: GEoM's body is failing, soul is intact.
[Knowledge]: GEoM is, as indicated by the name, a god.
[Assumption]: ∴ if a duplicate of the body of the GEoM were to exist, he could transfer himself to it.

(Note that this may take the form of the 'pull the plug' scenario with that splinter section that wants to go through with it.)

Once they clone the GEoM, assuming his status as a god is preserved, everything is irrelevant. You've got a GEoM with no experience (given that the Jango clones had to be taught everything during their development cycle rather than inheriting his knowledge), who will be raised by the bloody (in more than one sense, hah) Imperium. Best case scenario for everyone involved is that his natural talents and intelligence guide the clone onto the same path as his "father".

The worst-case scenario is that you have a God-Emperor of Mankind who completely buys into the superstitions and pathological hatreds of the Imperium, with the ability to clone himself endlessly. Every enemy of the Imperium would be overrun by a virtual tide of power-armored God-Emperor clones. It would turn the Imperium into the gorram 'Nids!

Imperium versus Empire would be over in a matter of weeks anyway, because the LARGEST SW ships are ALMOST but not quite the size of Imperium Cruisers. Of which there are very, very many. Unless you give the Empire all their superweapons. Then it gets more interesting. Then again, we also have to consider the fact that Empire FTL is way fucking faster, way more efficient, way more reliable, and way less likely to get your ass eaten by psychic manifestations of jealous and anger. So, the Empire could fight a very effective guerilla campaign against the Imperium.
Oh my god, the Empire would become the Rebels. Except with superweapons around their few stronghold worlds.

The FTL has always been the big advantage for the Empire in Empire v. Imperium fights, and a proper Imperium fleet would curbstomp just about anything the Empire could bring to bear. Hence why most of the crossovers pit an Imperial fleet against a hodgepodge of poorly commanded/Rogue Trader ships. If the Empire was aware of what they were up against and got a hyper-capable planetkiller like the Death Star into the 40K galaxy, they could pop into Sol and crack Terra open before the Imperium even got news of first contact.

On the flipside, the Empire would never be able to hold territory against the Imperium, just raid and run around behind the lines capturing... DEAR GOD, THE IMPERIALS ARE PLANETSIDE 2 PLAYERS.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:30 pm »

Wait.
Void Dragon awakes, gets hold of Death Star.
Sig! Onol

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2013, 11:31:27 pm »

No one remembers the Galaxy Gun? Don't even need to pop into the Sol system, just launch a planet-busting missile from the other side of the galaxy :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2013, 11:31:54 pm »

No one remembers the Galaxy Gun? Don't even need to pop into the Sol system, just launch a planet-busting missile from the other side of the galaxy :P
What about the Sun Crusher or whatever that is?
Sig! Onol

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2013, 11:32:49 pm »

That one needs to be present in the star system, and get fairly close to the star it wants to destroy. Stopping it would still be tricky of course, considering it's nigh-invulnerable nature.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2013, 11:33:29 pm »

Of course, glaring weak points are to Imperial design theory what Aquilas are to Imperium design theory...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2013, 11:34:04 pm »

That one needs to be present in the star system, and get fairly close to the star it wants to destroy. Stopping it would still be tricky of course, considering it's nigh-invulnerable nature.
What about the Void Dragon trapped on Mars, though If it ever awakes...WH40k Skynet, anybody?
Sig! Onol

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2013, 11:34:44 pm »

I'm not so sure the Empire could get the Death Star into range of Terra. The Moon is apparently turned into a massive weapons battery at some point in history, and Terra has the most sophisticated series of Void Shields in existence. IIRC. But, I guess if the ENTIRE Imperial fleet, some 20,000 Star Destroyers, ALL the superweapons, and EVERY smaller support vessel, every TIE Fighter, every Skipray Blastboat, etc, jumped into Terra at the same time...
I suppose that would be the coolest fucking thing ever.

Sun Crusher was a fighter sized craft made of supermetal. Basically you can't kill it with Dakka. And it has a torpedo launcher that can cause Supernovas in HOURS instead of BILLIONS OF YEARS. And yeah, Galaxy Gun. See above.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2013, 11:35:24 pm »

What about the Void Dragon trapped on Mars, though If it ever awakes...WH40k Skynet, anybody?
Is that actually canon? I thought it was (probably) just a fan theory.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 69