Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 69

Author Topic: The Crossover Thread  (Read 94164 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Crossover Thread
« Reply #465 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:46 pm »

Ladies and Mentlegen

I give you the greatest story the world shall ever know.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aliens VS Narrators.
In Skyrim?
David AttenFREEMAN!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 10, 2013, 09:03:57 pm »

The Executor and Battlestar Galactica VS An ork controlled space hulk

I don't know about Battlestar Galactica, but we can put real numbers to the Executor's destructive power, and it's enough to raze a planet's surface given a week or so. Granted, an Ork Space Hulk could probably do the same, but in hours. With Orks. Because fucking orks. I'm quite undecided on this one.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 10, 2013, 09:07:41 pm »

The Executor probably has more raw (and far more accurate) firepower and an impressive complement of small craft to help keep it alive. The Orks in a space hulk are individually mighty, but their ranged weapons tend to be sub-par and the hulk might not even have functioning shields.

In a one-on-one space battle, edge goes to the Executor.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 10, 2013, 09:16:16 pm »

Yes, a ISD-II has a half a wing (six squadrons, or 72 small craft), and IIRC the Executor has quite a bit more than that. At least a full wing (144 fighters/bombers/etc) which is impressive enough on it's own. Then it's got some 10,000 turbolasers and suchlike scattered across the surface. Actually, let's go check the facts.

Okay, the Executor is 19,000 meters long. 19 kilometers. That's some twelve or thirteen miles long. It has around 5,000 turbolasers, heavy turbolasers, and ion cannons, 250 missile launchers, and 40 tractor beams. It carries a full wing of TIE craft, and 200 support craft, like shuttles and assault vessels. It carries 30 AT-ATs, 50 AT-STs, and uncounted AT-PTs, with a crew complement of 38,000 ground troopers. That's not counting the vessel's crew.
Source.

We could also put hard numbers to the damage a turbolaser does, but it's pretty underwhelming in WH40K, to be honest. That many though...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 10, 2013, 09:18:17 pm »

Can we talk about Phazon corrupted Orks now?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 10, 2013, 09:23:06 pm »

Not now, Vgray :P

My view is that turbolasers may be weak in comparison to WH40k weapons, they're a hell of a lot safer and more accurate. Consider that in the 40k verse, ship battles tend to end with one ship or the other a broken hull spiraling away through the void/burning up in a planet's atmosphere. In Star Wars, on the other hand, turbolasers are accurate enough to pinpoint-target things like engines, shield generators, and weapon emplacements. Plus 40k fluff loves to go into detail about how ancient, complex, and temperamental ship systems - especially weapons - are. Whereas in SW things don't generally break down unless it's in battle, and the systems can be more-or-less easily repaired or replaced.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 10, 2013, 09:26:52 pm »

Yes, this is very true Sirus. And I believe the Star Wars weaponry would be somewhere between Tau Plasma weaponry and Imperial las weaponry in effect. Accurate, maybe not the hardest hitting, but still a beastly energy weapon. Besides, I imagine them firing a LOT faster than WH40K weaponry, which has to be loaded by hundreds of slaves and shit.
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 10, 2013, 09:31:02 pm »

According to Wookiepedia, turbolasers have a recharge time of about 2 or 3 seconds. Each. That's a crapton of firepower.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 10, 2013, 09:35:37 pm »

As for the ork space hulk... that's kind of a tremendous variable, and depends on both the size and what's stuck in it. And in the latter case, it's just... whatever, I can barely conceptualize it. Anything, literally anything, in WH40k (and warp being warp and Orkz being Orkz, possibly more) could be firing out of that bloody thing, and depending on gods know what -- from the color the equipment is painted to time of day to just how particularly pissed off that band of orkz are and their composition -- its effectiveness and general effect could vary tremendously. I mean. Gatling nova cannon that has inter-system (i.e. measured in light years) range? Give us enough orkz thinking about it hard enough and it could happen. Maybe it shoots death stars studded with ship-sized lances! No one bloody knows!

That's what happens when you have a space ship functioning due to what amounts to literal magic. Get enough orkz together thinking a particular piece of dakka or dakka carrying thingy is going to work, and it'll bloody well work.

So, I mean. I'd bet on the Orkz. Though they'd probably just fire parts of the hulk at the other ships and try to take over. And if anything actually manages to get on... stick a fork in it, you're done. Ork spores basically don't come out :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 10, 2013, 09:43:13 pm »

Not to mention Genestealers are often found on Space hulks too.
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 10, 2013, 09:43:31 pm »

@ Frumple:

I think you're seriously over-estimating the Ork's Waaaagh! power  :-\

They can't just imagine some sort of mega-insta-kill weapon and have it pop into existence. Nor can they create matter out of nothing. They work with whatever is available to create weapons that may vary tremendously in power, from enemy ship-killing to self-destructing.
Look at it this way: Orks think that they cannot lose, and will charge into battle as though they are unkillable. They believe both of those things with every fiber of their being, and both of those things are false. Orks can and lose battles, they can and do die. It's the same way with their weapons, armor, and ships.

Besides, Ork spores need time and nutrients of some sort to grow. The Executor could simply run a rigorous quarantine and decontamination procedure after the battle, using droids if needed.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 10, 2013, 10:10:37 pm »

Ehhh, that's debatable, really. Orkz have by and large already won a long time ago in canon. The WH40k universe is basically their nirvana. When they say something along the lines that they're not losing (losing would be not fighting, not dying or having to retreat. Dying just means getting into another fight with Gork and Mork and retreating means you get to fight more later :P), they're just getting blown up so the next fight will be better, they're right. So long as conflict is possible, they've succeeded in their operational goals. You can win a fight against an Ork, but Orkz don't lose, heh. Even if you kill them.

But yeah, they can't really just magic nova cannons out the aether, and they're limited by their imagination (which is itself limited by the size of the waaaagh they get together, really, to provide the psychic juice to actually make it happen.). But a mekboy can do stuff with a pile of scape or a broken spaceship that's literally physically impossible, and given that space hulks are basically limited only by plot (because, as noted, there's no bloody telling what's stuck in that thing. Maybe there's a warp spawned copy of the Executor itself in all that junk, who knows *throws up hands*), I wouldn't wager against them pulling a doom MacGuffin of some sort out of one of the hulk's crannies. Sure, it might blow up half the hulk in the process, but Ork equipment is, well, more effective than it has any right to be (and given how terrible some of it is in practice, that's really darn telling, heh.).

'Course, as noted, they'd probably just hurl a bunch of chunks of it stuffed full of orkz at the enemy ships instead. Prepare for boarding action, ahahahaha!

So I'd say it depends on the space hulk, y'know? Some of those things take WH40k fleets to stop, from what I remember. Executor's a whole lot of kickass, but it's not quite on that scale, I don't believe. Galactica's a whole lot of buggered, though. I'm not even sure if it could meaningfully contribute, outside of maybe getting rammed into the Executor after the Ork boarding parties took over.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 10, 2013, 10:16:11 pm »

Ehhh, that's debatable, really. Orkz have by and large already won a long time ago in canon. The WH40k universe is basically their nirvana. When they say something along the lines that they're not losing (losing would be not fighting, not dying or having to retreat. Dying just means getting into another fight with Gork and Mork and retreating means you get to fight more later :P), they're just getting blown up so the next fight will be better, they're right. So long as conflict is possible, they've succeeded in their operational goals. You can win a fight against an Ork, but Orkz don't lose, heh. Even if you kill them.

But yeah, they can't really just magic nova cannons out the aether, and they're limited by their imagination (which is itself limited by the size of the waaaagh they get together, really, to provide the psychic juice to actually make it happen.). But a mekboy can do stuff with a pile of scape or a broken spaceship that's literally physically impossible, and given that space hulks are basically limited only by plot (because, as noted, there's no bloody telling what's stuck in that thing. Maybe there's a warp spawned copy of the Executor itself in all that junk, who knows *throws up hands*), I wouldn't wager against them pulling a doom MacGuffin of some sort out of one of the hulk's crannies. Sure, it might blow up half the hulk in the process, but Ork equipment is, well, more effective than it has any right to be (and given how terrible some of it is in practice, that's really darn telling, heh.).

'Course, as noted, they'd probably just hurl a bunch of chunks of it stuffed full of orkz at the enemy ships instead. Prepare for boarding action, ahahahaha!

So I'd say it depends on the space hulk, y'know? Some of those things take WH40k fleets to stop, from what I remember. Executor's a whole lot of kickass, but it's not quite on that scale, I don't believe. Galactica's a whole lot of buggered, though. I'm not even sure if it could meaningfully contribute, outside of maybe getting rammed into the Executor after the Ork boarding parties took over.

WH40K/Star Wars crossover story initiated. I should so write that.
He's fucking with us.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 10, 2013, 10:20:04 pm »

Death Star (the ship-attacking one, but finished) in 40k.
Alternately, the Sun Crusher and its invincible armor.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: February 10, 2013, 10:21:51 pm »

Death Star (the ship-attacking one, but finished) in 40k.
Alternately, the Sun Crusher and its invincible armor.
Didn't we do this already?

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 69