Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 69

Author Topic: The Crossover Thread  (Read 94063 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: The Crossover Thread
« Reply #375 on: February 09, 2013, 12:01:49 pm »

As for Nanoha, magery's all well and good in the case of the rest of them, but she's something a little bit different. Crazy witch is a human sized mecha, with most of what that entails, with a side course of magical fuckery. Gandalf can You Shall Not Pass all he wants, I don't think it's going to help much against a beam of energy capable of scuttling an interplanetary warship from over the horizon.
I might just be fanboying now, but he might be able to, what with being a third-tier god being.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 09, 2013, 12:25:47 pm »

Well, it'd depend on what that means, exactly. From what I remember of LotR (though note that's neither much nor particularly in depth) there's a fair bit of mortals dicking around with god-critters in the history, so as divine entities go the Tolkien folks might not be all that impressive. Certainly Gandalf himself never demonstrated anything particularly impressive (at least compared to screaming beams of magical death, heh), from what I can recall. Nothing on the scale of squishing mountains :P Little bit of brushing up shows maybe some army knocking aside, but I'm fairly sure Nanoha could just kinda' splat a few dozen medieval-tech armies... on a bad day.

It's not something I'd give good odds for Gandalf on. S'like I said, the power scale, so to speak, of the different continuities are kinda' disparate, plus they're in wildly different thematic realms. High fantasy vs. mecha combat via magical girls. You get different sorts of power creep in those types of things :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 09, 2013, 01:50:17 pm »

It'd probably depend partially on what exactly could count as an anti-magic field near gandalf. It might not exactly help him either (He's got a sword at least anyway), but with enough of it he could possibly stall out a shot from nanoha (though how much exactly is 'enough' I have no idea, since she's already shot through a powered-up ancient ship's AMF from inside it and through several walls to KO one person)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 09, 2013, 02:14:10 pm »

FD's omni-battle thing. Man. I'd put my bets on Archer, followed by Nanoha. The Blink thing I didn't remember, but if he's just immune to spells Archer would fillet the poor bastard, and everything else is just... from lower power realities, so to speak. Archer's actually a bit broken in an arbitrary sense -- dude's primary shtick is to be able to recreate magical artifacts, and then potentially supercharge them and make them explode. He's largely limited only by the arsenal you decide to let him play with, and for the period before reality notices they're there, the stuff he makes is as real and physical as the originals. His secondary shtick is he's basically a self-made Elder God of Swords, at least in a limited physical area. Reality marbles are wonderful, heh. E: Wait, wait. It might depend on the Archer. The one before CG-Shirou... might actually have been worse, I'unno.

As for Nanoha, magery's all well and good in the case of the rest of them, but she's something a little bit different. Crazy witch is a human sized mecha, with most of what that entails, with a side course of magical fuckery. Gandalf can You Shall Not Pass all he wants, I don't think it's going to help much against a beam of energy capable of scuttling an interplanetary warship from over the horizon.

As for the rest... yeah, those two are in the category that can casually destroy mountains and/or countries/(in archer's case, potentially planets, given the right kit. Iirc, there's anti-planet level artifacts out there. Dude could also just conjure up a sun crusher or whatever.), if they particularly feel like it. The rest of the lot are a bit more... subtle, from what I remember.

Archer would actually be one of the worst against Bink. His talent prevents him from being harmed or negatively affected with the intent of harm through magical means. If we're going by the conditions of the fight, anything sort of supernatural power (including Archer's reconstructed artifacts) would be considered to be magic by Bink's talent. Literally the only way Archer could hurt him would be by hitting him with an ordinary bit of rubbish/his own body.

That aside, any additions are welcome. But Bink is sort of a dark-horse underdog in this; the only ones who could do more than punch him would be Skywalker (lightsaber), either of the ordinary swords Rand Al'Thor has owned (Callandor would be out for obvious reasons), and possibly Glamdring, depending on how you interpret it.

As for godmode powers, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to include Rand Al'Thor in that category. He (linked with two other powerful channelers) had enough power to beat his universe's embodiment of the idea of Evil in a straight-up reality altering contest. That's something akin to a trio of mortal psykers walking up to Khorne's home and giving him a beatdown. Callandor would be something of a double-edged sword (heh) thanks to the possibility of burnout, but even without it he has some serious potential. You've got the Choedan Kal (a pair of what are basically skyscraper-sized magical amplifiers accessed through a pair of small statuettes); even just using the male half of the pair would be enough to turn him into a god made physically manifest. That aside, balefire. It's a beam weapon that totally obliterates just about anything, and does so by erasing it from the past, with the amount of time erased corresponding to the strength of the attack. It's an on-call temporal reset, and in-canon obliterates the soul of anyone it hits along with their body.

Overuse of it was, by the end of the series, literally tearing apart the fabric of reality.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:17:19 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 09, 2013, 03:04:40 pm »

Now I wonder how the Star Wars universe would fare against the Zerg.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 09, 2013, 03:06:08 pm »

Fairly well, probably.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 09, 2013, 03:06:34 pm »

The Yuuzahn Vong would be either: A) Terrified, or B) Assimilated Quickly.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 09, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »

Scratch that. Scratch all of that. All you need to do is to have them transported to each others realities, and have them desperately race to get back for fear of what they'd do to their city.

Vimes vs Batman. A police force that isn't corrupt for one, and one that's a joke for the other, city's with narritivium suddenly buckling at the seams to deal with the changes, each world bleeding through. It would be Glorious, or your worlds will pay for it.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 09, 2013, 03:13:12 pm »

And throw in the Space Pirates. Studying the Zerg. And doing piratey things.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 09, 2013, 03:14:05 pm »

As well as studying the Metroids AGAIN.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 09, 2013, 03:23:45 pm »

"Stardate 029765647-B: Fed phazon-laced meat to the Z-56 strain, dubbed 'ultralisk'. 50 researchers and guards died."
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 09, 2013, 03:26:44 pm »

"Stardate 029765647-B: Fed phazon-laced meat to the Z-56 strain, dubbed 'ultralisk'. 50 researchers and guards died."
Stardate 029765648-B: We performed surgery on Z-56-A and Ridley Clone No. 8457847. Unsurprisingly, the resulting subject didn't die as easily.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 09, 2013, 03:31:37 pm »

"Cycle 3. Research into 'infested' metroids is underway. Phazon treatments to begin next cycle."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 09, 2013, 03:49:57 pm »

[snip]
Continuing the omni-fight thing, if we let folks bring in friends/allies/infinite their-canon resources, things get... sillier. Nasuverse canon, you could have a tantric orgy on top of a mountain of magically charged gems and do, well, pretty much anything. To say nothing of tapping somethingone like Zelretch (though, being fair, I'd probably be amused if that one came visiting. Dude played volleyball with the goddamn moon and basically wields the power of fanfiction manifest into reality.) to come play. And there's probably crazier stuff out there, Nasuverse is pretty twisty. It'd be pretty interesting if Nuke Chick lost her power when Eldrad showed up.

Lot of it for Archer depends on other things, though... especially range. It's another one of those things in his and Nanoha's favor that they can both operate pretty far out if they feel like it, which would fairly well nix several of the other guys. That might be a point in Eldrad's favor, too, if he brought along some heavier Eldar firepower, but the rest of the mentioned (insofar as I know) were pretty heavily limited by both line of sight and fairly close range. Those three can potentially operate from a couple miles out, heh. Though, uh. Nanoha's space capable, right? Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Bink... yeah, if you interpret Archer's stuff as magically created (though that's not quite what's going on, per se. It's more like magic is tricking reality into thinking they exist :P), that'd be a potential problem. Solvable by shooting Luke and nicking the lightsaber, heh. Or possibly just beating Bink to death, which, uh. He'd probably be pretty capable of, really. Counter-guardian version, definitely, even without magical reinforcement.

I'd forgotten about balefire, though, and only got... maybe half way through Rand's series (a long, long time ago, so I remember nothing :P) so I don't exactly remember what the dude can do beyond that. Poor guy would still fit into the squsihy wizard category comparatively, though. Archer (spear through heart, still going, whee! Well, and there's the one that can at least partially turn himself into swords, iirc.) and Nanoha (Barrier jacket, taking skyscraper wrecking shots and still moving, etc.) are the only ones that really approach tanky, with probably Eldrad and possibly Gandalf (if he does, in fact, have non-magical weapons immunity) coming in second.

I'm kinda' amused that Raven hasn't even crossed my mind as viable, though. Telekinetic that might be able to emergency summon a demon in? Meh. And poor Harry. Poor, poor Harry. Best chance he'd have against g'damn anything is AK, and the chances of that even hitting pretty much ever other person specifically mentioned is zero. Cept maybe Rand, I'unno.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:55:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 09, 2013, 03:58:24 pm »

Yeah, that's the thing. Bink can't be harmed by magic, but he's not exactly the most combat-capable protagonist.  :P

I threw in the lower-tier characters mostly for the lulz. It'd be sort of interesting to see a bunch of them team up, though. As for the whole Rand = Glass cannon thing... partly, yeah. It took some pretty nasty stuff to hurt him, but he did get hurt. Thing is, though, if you don't kill him outright and he hit you with balefire, the injury is gone.

For the weaklings, the only viable strategy would likely be to form a temporary alliance and hide while the main fighters duke it out, then try something tricksy if they get the chance.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 69