Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What To Do With Eight Captured War Cave Dragons?  (Read 3679 times)

GodlyTeapot

• Bay Watcher
  • "Don't feed the badger..."
    • View Profile
What To Do With Eight Captured War Cave Dragons?
« on: January 16, 2013, 11:26:16 am »

So guys, I have captured eight war Cave Dragons, Ideas? The dwarfier the better!

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What To Do With Eight Captured War Cave Dragons?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:27:39 am »

Coliseum.

Watch dogs.

Pincushions.

Scarecrows.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:37:43 am by andrei901 »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:32:39 am »

Try to tame them, add child token and let them breed.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:38:42 am »

And then outfit your entire military in dragonbone, equipped with dragonbone crossbows, and wielding dragonbone bolts.

Now that I think about it, this is a nod to Skyrim, though not the original intention.

GodlyTeapot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 11:45:18 am »

I don't think watchdogs would be very good, since they don't breath fire, I was thinking about choosing ine dwarf to be my champion, maybe after a few badger fights he could battle a cave dragon.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:57:22 am »

If it is impossible to tame them, try building a drawbridge over an area that invaders move across. Have a huge drop below them that is so deep they will be stunned/killed when they hit the bottom. Put at least two dragons down there to rip them to shreds when they land.

Master death

• Bay Watcher
  • This is why we cant have nice things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 12:13:40 pm »

Tame them and then let your hunter dwarf hunt with said dragons :)

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14:56 pm »

If it is impossible to tame them, try building a drawbridge over an area that invaders move across. Have a huge drop below them that is so deep they will be stunned/killed when they hit the bottom. Put at least two dragons down there to rip them to shreds when they land.

Do this.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:02:13 pm »

Cave dragons are immortal. They do not die of old age.

If you can tame them, breed them. And then set up an egg farming operation.

Dragon egg omelets for everyone!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:25:20 pm »

Dragons need child tag, and then also need a maturation time that isn't next century.

That's just a few lines poked on the raws though.  Might check for trainable and pet exotic as well. IIRC, trainable creatures need the pet tag to be assignable as war animals, or hunting aimals.

If you just want friendly dragons that "can't work",  then tamable and trainable are all that's needed, but to breed you will still need [lays_eggs] and [child:#] (where # is some integer you are willing to wait for maturation) to establish a breeding population.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 01:27:53 pm »

well, if they're *war* cave dragons, i'm pretty sure they count as an enemy to your civilization, unless it was you that trained them.

i can't recall if that prevents them from being tamed, or if it just makes them kill your dwarfs even if they are tamed, but i do seem to recall that ending poorly for those who tried it.

in other news, i'm also fairly certain that they can't claim egg boxes either.

i think if you want cave dragon pets, you're going to have to actually capture them in the wild.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 02:38:43 pm »

you should be able to chain them up next to a nest box and get eggs for delicious and valuable meals.  or if you add the [CHILD:X] tag to their raws (with x being the number of years you feel is best for adultification) you can potentially get baby cave dragons.  It may take some time to get them and you should have lots of cage traps nearby but it can be worth it.   Mmmm, cave dragon meat, bones, and warpets.

Of course this all relies on you having female and/or male dragons.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Shoep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:12:03 pm »

I made a similar topic about that a few weeks ago ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120496.0 ), and i put dragons in a room with a nest box, they destroyed them rather than using them, though... Sadly, i'd love to have dragons to unleash upon invaders, especially if they're breedable anyway.. Like a guarddog 2.0

If i am to edit the raws for making them breed, i'd have to add a [child] tag, remove the [building destroyer] tag, and probably reduce the hatching time for the eggs from a century to a few years?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:17:44 pm »

I made a similar topic about that a few weeks ago ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120496.0 ), and i put dragons in a room with a nest box, they destroyed them rather than using them, though... Sadly, i'd love to have dragons to unleash upon invaders, especially if they're breedable anyway.. Like a guarddog 2.0

If i am to edit the raws for making them breed, i'd have to add a [child] tag, remove the [building destroyer] tag, and probably reduce the hatching time for the eggs from a century to a few years?
Simply removing the [BUILDING_DESTROYER:X] and adding a [CHILD:X] token will be enough. Currently all eggs hatch in under a year if they are fertile, the century comment simply refers to how long it takes dragons to grow to their full size, and does not control how fast they mature. Instead the [CHILD:X] token controls how long until they can breed again (i.e., a dragon with [CHILD:1] will spend about a year as an egg, a year as a child, and then be able to breed the next year. A dragon with [CHILD:2] will spend a year as an egg, 2 years as a child, and then be able to breed the following year).

Also a final note but with egg layers sometimes you need to do a little bit of finagling to get current creatures that you just added the [CHILD:X] token to to lay fertile eggs. Here are the steps:
1)Claim any eggs laid. Continue to claim any future clutches until the laying creature leaves the nest box for a few months. This might only be a single batch of eggs, or it might be several.
2)The next batch laid should be fertile and you can forbid them until they hatch.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GodlyTeapot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 02:30:10 pm »

I don't think this will work, the Gobbos brought them so they'll be friendly right?
Pages: [1] 2 3