Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The uncatchable fish  (Read 3525 times)

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The uncatchable fish
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 06:49:25 pm »

That'd be the English. Nobody listens to the English.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 06:55:16 pm »

Are you sure? Rounding up all those welshmen and exporting them might be applauded by some in GB....
Scotland needs someone to hate England with!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 07:23:27 pm »

Taming sea creatures past "semi-wild" unfortunately seems to be impossible. You can catch them in a cage trap using your system. They will not airdrown as long as they weren't airdrowning when they were caught. The area can then be drained and the cages retrieved and moved around like normal objects without the fish airdrowning. The sea creature can be tamed within it cage. (If its a tamable creature, which carp are not, btw) This will result in a "semi-wild" creature. Then you can then dump the sea creature into a training zone for further training. However, this is where you run into trouble. In order to train the creature any further, the animal trainer and the sea creature need to occupy the same tile. In order for the aquatic creature to not airdrown, the tile must have 4/7 water. However, this water level results in a "dangerous terrain" job cancellation for the trainer, regardless of whether or not he knows how to swim.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 09:40:15 pm »

Taming sea creatures past "semi-wild" unfortunately seems to be impossible. You can catch them in a cage trap using your system. They will not airdrown as long as they weren't airdrowning when they were caught. The area can then be drained and the cages retrieved and moved around like normal objects without the fish airdrowning. The sea creature can be tamed within it cage. (If its a tamable creature, which carp are not, btw) This will result in a "semi-wild" creature. Then you can then dump the sea creature into a training zone for further training. However, this is where you run into trouble. In order to train the creature any further, the animal trainer and the sea creature need to occupy the same tile. In order for the aquatic creature to not airdrown, the tile must have 4/7 water. However, this water level results in a "dangerous terrain" job cancellation for the trainer, regardless of whether or not he knows how to swim.

Could you give dwarves gills, or is this a hard coded job cancellation behavior?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 04:25:19 am »

Could you give dwarves gills, or is this a hard coded job cancellation behavior?

I think it would be easier to make the sea creature amphibious.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 04:45:54 am »

The sea creature can be tamed within it cage. (If its a tamable creature, which carp are not, btw) This will result in a "semi-wild" creature.

The actual degree of 'tameness' depends on the trainer's skill and familiarity of your dwarfs with the species; a high-level animal trainer can get an unfamiliar creature to *trained* on the training roll alone. I've never worked with water-dwelling animals so far, but don't see why training from the wild should be different for them. A sufficiently tame creature could then be released and entered into the breeding programme.

However, as you said, a dwarf and a sea creature cannot occupy the same place without either the creature air-drowning or the dwarf running away because of dangerous terrain, which makes tame aquatic creatures pretty much unviable. That's why the sea serpent training scheme used non-tame serpents, which carries its own assortment of problems but at least allows butchering.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 04:50:06 am »

some stuff

I think it would be easier to make the sea creature amphibious.

But... dwarves with gills.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 02:20:00 pm »

The cancellation behavior is hard-coded, unfortunately. Although dwarves with gills would be dwarves that won't die underwater. Sometimes.

But the fish will still need to be made amphibious in order to avoid them suffocating while the dwarf works.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 08:28:46 am »

I wish toady would add pathfinding for sea creatures, at least on the same z level.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 09:11:12 am »

Makes me want to embark next to a river and mod carp so I can get war carp.
Pages: 1 [2]