Poll

How overpowered is the dex stat?

Game-Breakingly
Very
Moderately
Just a Little
Not at All

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 159

Author Topic: Looter's Delight: Considering Revival  (Read 275398 times)

stefmor90

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCKING HATS
    • View Profile
Re: Looter's Delight: An Adventure with Treasure! New Management!
« Reply #2055 on: July 06, 2013, 03:25:00 am »

RUN AWAY FASTLY

Wait. This new rule means that if you don't engage in combat periodically, you die. Not that I mind, but isn't that a little bad?
Not really. First off, the change is not permanent and resets as soon as the next turn comes. A simple example is you try to run away. You roll a 5 for dex for running away, and your dex stat is 5, so 10. Everything good. Your opponent rolls a 8 total for dex. you then attack your opponent. You hit,(<-irrelevant) since it's an attack you don't lose a skillpoint for that action. then next part of your action says KEEP RUNNING. This is the second time you've tried to run away/do a non combat action IN A SINGLE TURN. Your dex stat decreases by 1, and you roll an a 5 again. now you have 5+5-1 = 9. Your opponent rolls an 8 for dex again. Now here is where things get a bit more tricky. Your next action in this SINGLE TURN is attack twice. the first attack is fine, it doesn't cause a decrease in your skill, but it still uses the -1 from the first time you ran away twice in this turn. But your second attack breaks this "Repeating a combat roll right after lets the enemy strike back with no penalty, and you lose -1 to stat anyway." You roll a 5 again, and 5+5-2 (1 lost from fleeing, another from attacking twice in a row) is 8. Since the rule says "the enemy strikes back with no penalty" He gets a free hit on you, void of any repeating action penalties he has performed before hand. Then your turn stops because you have matched his 8 roll with your 8 roll, and therefore any actions past that point don't matter, and you are stopped from fleeing/attack/doing anything but THE NEXT ACTION, because if you EQUAL what the enemy opponent rolled, you get to perform your next move, including any penalties, before your turn ends.

Funny thing is that if Unholy just said Run away. And his first dex roll succeeded, he would have gotten away and the problem would be over.
Pretty much this is really complex but it stops people from making stupidly long turns and ultimately breaking the game. Probably.

If you just keep your turns 1 or 2 actions, this will not affect you at all.

EDIT: And ONCE AGAIN if you DO perform Multiple actions in one turn, your character is just weakened for THAT ONE TURN, the stats are normal again the next turn.

IRRELEVANT
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:52:04 pm by stefmor90 »

stefmor90

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCKING HATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: July 06, 2013, 03:33:41 am »

That new rule... Just sounds idiotic to me. sorry, but it just means we all gotta kill everything is sight or be useless little babbies.
Not at all. It just makes doing too much in one turn not be as effective, and your stats are perfectly normal the next turn.

EDIT: Bleh. I get what you mean by having to kill everything. It's a misunderstanding, you don't have to perform combat to have your stats not drop, but if you do a lot in one turn, you're punished stat wise for doing too much.
Combat = Inflicting damage on others
Non Combat = anything else, like running, devoting a turn to blocking with your weapon/shield for bonus endurance etc...

The reason combat doesn't make you lose skillpoints (unless you use them twice in a row on the same turn) is because Non combat actions is a much broader area and can allow huge amounts of exploitation unless the stats are punished, like hit and run (pretty much attack, run away, attack, run away x50) an enemy until they die. If someone has stupidly high dex stat and runs away and attacks every other action they would be near invincible without something to punish their dex stat each time they ran away.

Also one more thing, an action !=turn

Actions are things done in turns
Turns are a collection of all your actions

ALSO IRRELEVANTprobably
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:52:54 pm by stefmor90 »

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: July 06, 2013, 04:22:24 am »

"Well that is new..."
Be ready to stab whatever comes out of the pile if anything
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

stefmor90

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCKING HATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: July 06, 2013, 06:01:14 am »

Note to self: Don't try to explain game rules during insomniac hours. It doesn't work very well.

EDIT: Also note to not make more comments than literally turns posted x2. That's what edits are for.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:25:01 am by stefmor90 »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: July 06, 2013, 11:02:07 am »

((Actually, if i understand what your saying then youve got my rolls wonky and penalised me for no reason...

I said to shoot him and run.
you rolled for initiative then for my attack and then my flight as a +4-1

If the penalty only applies to the turn in question what should have happened was my attack should have failed and then i should have fled with a roll of 7 vs his roll of 6 instead of a 6v6 tie.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: July 06, 2013, 11:08:50 am »

And if it stacks and stays between turns it just says "kill everything or you will become weak little babby"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: July 06, 2013, 11:22:52 am »

It would be pointless to keep it between turns.
For example, even if i get a fleeing penalty for running twice then the iron settler would get a penalty for chasing me twice...

The rule is mostly pointless, its only function is to prevent attack then run spam by making it take longer to perform such tactics.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: July 06, 2013, 11:30:22 am »

Wouldn't a simpler, more direct rule work better?

Or, better yet, improved rules for such situations. Hit-and-run is realistically pretty good, but it has some drawbacks. Why not simulate the drawbacks? Maybe penalize combat actions taken in a turn where you're running.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: July 06, 2013, 11:32:41 am »

It would make sense.
Highly Opinionated Fool

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: July 06, 2013, 03:01:06 pm »

Yes it would.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Benjamaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: July 06, 2013, 03:52:57 pm »

Ah, good. Now, next card.
Draw card that I said I was going to last turn. (which I guess was doing too much in one turn.)

stefmor90

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCKING HATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: July 06, 2013, 05:47:04 pm »

Alright, how about a maximum of actions per turn? Like to 3 or something. That's short and simple and prevents stupid crap even though it could take out some RP elements if you're a really slow or really fast character that strikes a lot of times, and regardless you have only 3 possible actions per turn. Another thing I was thinking of was since this game is loot based, why not have a generation capable of increasing (or decreasing others) possible actions per turn? But a problem that would come in is that if someone decreased an opponents actions to 0, it would practically make them invulnerable. I know, why not make minimum actions per turn regardless of debuffs 1. (unless time is stopped, which makes sense to have 0 actions)

What do you guys think?

Obviously other system is too complex for its own good and no one here likes it so I'm scrapping that.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: July 06, 2013, 05:51:24 pm »

Perhaps also have it so that some, limited, items increase or lower that cap. And autonomous things have there own cap.
Highly Opinionated Fool

stefmor90

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCKING HATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: July 06, 2013, 05:55:20 pm »

Perhaps also have it so that some, limited, items increase or lower that cap. And autonomous things have there own cap.

The problem is this is that it make the game loot not truly random (which is sort of the main point) and making robots have specific bonuses would imply adding essentially racial bonuses to the game, which would be hard to implement with all the current players.

Regardless, dex stat needs nerfing, but it still need to feel like dex. You should still be able to dodge, but dodging should not be so powerful as it is now.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:00:31 pm by stefmor90 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: July 06, 2013, 06:06:15 pm »

Not really robots. I mean, you have my heart thingie, or the golden girl. Hell, half our weapons can be called autonomous in some way.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 159