Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Donation rewards  (Read 1938 times)

thburns

• Bay Watcher
  • I came, I saw..... It sucked!
    • View Profile
Donation rewards
« on: January 15, 2013, 08:52:59 am »

I have an idea for  donation rewards. Now while I have not donated... yet. (I am a single father in college, money is very tight! Hence how I found this free gem of a game.) Would it be possible to also somehow add the person in game, a name (for non editable entities) or engraving or artifact? While this may be a dumb, or difficult idea I think it would be cool to have an expanding, in game, representation of the Dwarfiest of Dwarves!
If only life and parenting were as easy as "Dwarf Fortress"

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: Donation rewards
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:03:28 pm »

Like for everyone's game? I think that would be a bit frustrating to be honest or at least immersion breaking. You do have the ability to edit your own dwarves' names though or even the language files they are generated from.

There was another tangentially related thread recently too (Money for game improvements). They were looking at features instead, but I think the general consensus would be similar.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:55:23 am »

I think the Diggles thread is more relevant to this OP.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:03:05 am »

One of the things on my Christmas list was a $20 donation to Toady and I received not only crayon art, but a button with that bearded dwarf smiley on it!
My wooden badge was delicious.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:06:37 am »

One of the things on my Christmas list was a $20 donation to Toady and I received not only crayon art, but a button with that bearded dwarf smiley on it!

How? How can I get a button like that?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:11:40 am »

How? How can I get a button like that?
I'd assume a $20 donation...

thburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:38:32 am »

It wouldn't be that hard to implement. All that is needed is to add to engravings on updates. As for immersion breaking... Nah! It could say something on the lines of "In memory of "insert name here". A wealthy traveler, who helped us on his/her way through our region.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:50:14 am »

Nope. Have a look at the list of Bay 12 Champions. The names don't belong into a fantasy world.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:51:04 am »

The only problem is that people will want to pick dumb names and you'll end with "In memory of xX69GUNZEAGEL96Xx.".

Edit: So ninja'd (but take a look on that list because omg I'm on it which is so cool)

thburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 11:07:51 am »

Okay then simple and easy. If they want to have their names engravable in game, then they need to submit a "Fantasy Name". Some of those are human names, which fit perfectly for human civs. Others could be nicknames for military persons, i.e. A mysterious axeman known only as Vothriller, passed on some of his wealth to our region.

Hell even add them in game as random trainers for the dwarves. I know I could just look up to see who donated, but I also think it would be nice for them to be somehow represented in-game.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 01:39:30 pm »

Problem is that that would mean that Toady has to go around and judge every person . Also, some people are going to complain why their name wasn't accepted, and others were.

Also, the fact that the namedatabase is nonmoddable means it will clash with mods. For example, you might end up with fantasy games in futuristic (mod) setting.

thburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 03:59:18 pm »

Hate to point this out but just about every name in this game is "fantasy", so would conflict with "futuristic" mods anyway. And so people complain, happens all the time, even when they get what they want. Just submit a new name. And who knows maybe in the future the names will be modable. Never know.

The point of this was some way to integrate in game representation of those who've helped with donations. Nothing more nothing less. I would appreciate helpful ideas or something more constructive in general.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:11:24 pm »

I’m not sure this is quite what you’re looking for, but maybe there could be a list of the donators in the file the game comes in. Perhaps it could be included in the readme. Just a thought.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 04:29:30 pm »

I'm completely against having random donaters' names on my engravings or artifacts. There's little enough variety with engravings as is, without a million depictions of "XYZ, a famous warrior who helped our region but isn't even visible in Legends Mode!" Having my name in the game wouldn't even make me want to donate anyways, and as previously stated it would be time consuming to add and/or judge every submitted name.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 07:34:51 pm »

I feel that desiring a representation of your name in-game in exchange for a donation is egotistical. It's human nature, though, and understandable. That's what the Champions page is for. It gives people a public aknowledgement (that some crave more than others) and sometimes encourages others to donate when they see the list.

"Oh, cool. Hey, I want my name up there so that people know I helped make this game, too!". Now some donators may pay even more to have their name in the game, but at what cost? I think at cost of damaging the game*, you obviously don't agree (hence the OP) and that's fine.

What I'd like though, is for you to really consider your motives for in-game representation and provide a better explanation than
it would be nice

Why would it be nice? Because right now I think it's an egotistical request, a desire to have your own unadulterated mark put on the game before you donate, and put somewhere where people playing will come across it and be forced to acknowledge that you donated something rather than only knowing if they take it upon themselves to check the Champions page. I can't fault anyone for wanting that but I don't think it should be indulged. Maybe there's more to it than I am seeing.

The only way I'd be comfortable with this is if there was a time limit put on the names. So you donate whatever and you're in for the current release but then have to donate again if you want to be in the next release. I personally wouldn't like it because it would affect my game experience, but it'd be tolerable for a work in progress alpha in my mind and hopefully they'd all get dumped and not go into the mythical version 1.0. But I'm just one guy and if it makes Toady more money and he wants to do it I'd live with it. A compromise would be to put it in a section like the "About DF" option on the main menu screen. That way it can be more prominent for the donators who need that while not risking the game experience for others.

* compromising immersion, atmosphere, theme etc etc
Pages: [1] 2