Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69839 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #825 on: February 06, 2013, 03:36:23 pm »

The underlying issue is that the BSA is run by the Mormon Church, and they don't like gays. That's pretty much it, in it's entirety.
Is it really that black and white?  Yes, I know conservative / religious forces are pushing hard against lifting the gay ban. 

But... that is still a real concern for the parents, thanks to their ignorance/upbringing/beliefs.  Personal opinion/perspective can be a huge factor for those parents to allow their kids into the Boy Scouts, regardless if it should have been no big deal in the first place.  Boy Scouts still caters to those type of people after-all and homosexuals are the boogiemen.  Ya don't have to be a conservative or be religious to be uneasy about letting your boys hang with others boys who's sexual orientation is... male.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 06, 2013, 03:41:27 pm »

Wait, who let them get ahold of it?
They more or less bought it. The LDS Church is a very corporate entity for being a church, and they buy into organizations they wish to influence. They were actually the BSA's very first sponsor, but I don't think they manged to buyout the national organization's influence until the 70's or so.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 06, 2013, 04:07:23 pm »

The leaders of the church tend to be wealthy businessmen, so that might be part of why they use corporate-ish tactics.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 06, 2013, 04:19:47 pm »

Regarding the Nirth Klurian missile, I'm reminded of that Nuclear Warfare 101 thing someone mentioned (this).

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 06, 2013, 04:37:36 pm »

Huh. Was never aware of the LDS-BSA link. And I was in Scouting for about 12 years. Was an ABP (All-But-Project, meaning I qualified for Eagle Scout but aged out before I could finish my service project).

Of course, our Troopmaster became transgender M2F some years later, and he never did anything untowards. Maybe they should just pass a resolution banning Catholic priests from being involved with Scouting. Hey-o!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 06, 2013, 04:40:47 pm »

Catholic priests WERE banned from being involved in scouting. :P

Of course, that ban was handed down by the Catholic Church, no the scouts, and was eventually lifted.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 06, 2013, 04:43:07 pm »

Now, if only we can get catholic priests banned from being in public in any capacity...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 06, 2013, 04:54:57 pm »

Huh. Was never aware of the LDS-BSA link. And I was in Scouting for about 12 years. Was an ABP (All-But-Project, meaning I qualified for Eagle Scout but aged out before I could finish my service project).

Of course, our Troopmaster became transgender M2F some years later, and he never did anything untowards. Maybe they should just pass a resolution banning Catholic priests from being involved with Scouting. Hey-o!

I have never understood eagle scouts. What exactly are they?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 06, 2013, 05:00:33 pm »

I have never understood eagle scouts. What exactly are they?
It's basically just a new badge that they get for doing lots of things and directing a community service project.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 06, 2013, 05:03:08 pm »

It's basically just a new badge that they get for doing lots of things and directing a community service project.

Why are so many famous Americans eagle scouts?

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 06, 2013, 05:04:04 pm »

Vote on Boy Scouts accepting homosexuals postponed to May.
Isn't the underlying issue for the whole Boy Scout thing pretty much:
Parents don't want to send their kids under the care of an organization that has homo scout leaders and/or homo scouts.  (Cause they'll get infected with the gayz and/or get molested.)

In my last year of Scouting and just wanted to mention that, at least in theory, molestation shouldn't be a problem because the Boy Scouts already have rules to protect from molestation.
This doesn't stop people from being bigots anyway, of course.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Aerie

• Bay Watcher
  • Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 06, 2013, 05:04:40 pm »

Now, if only we can get catholic priests banned from being in public in any capacity...

Hey guys, let's attack religion for no good reason!
Play my forum game, The Darkness Below!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #837 on: February 06, 2013, 05:08:44 pm »

Hey guys, let's attack religion for no good reason!
Well there is a rather specific reason. Very, very specific reason.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 06, 2013, 05:09:34 pm »

How do you know it's an attack on Religion and not an attack on an organization? One which, I should specify, has gone to great length to shield criminals from the force of law and allow them to continue committing pretty horrible crimes.

Catholic priests are tangentially related to Religion, and primarily a symbol of a specific, corrupt, abusive organization. There's a reason priests of most other Christian sects don't have the same sort of ill-will directed their way - they don't belong to an organization that is both large, powerful, and seemingly dedicated to protecting those who ruin the lives of children.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #839 on: February 06, 2013, 05:41:06 pm »

This argument has the potential to become flamey very, VERY rapidly.
And preemptive condemnations like these blunt good chances for a reasonable discussion:/
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 66