Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69883 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #750 on: January 31, 2013, 07:15:28 pm »

Actually, don't they ALL have that power unless the government prevents them from using it?

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 31, 2013, 07:36:18 pm »

Technically, but then businesses don't claim a monopoly on the use of aggressive force. Ergo, either you have a government that would only prevent businesses from using it but not using it in aid of those businesses ("The Night Watchman state") or else you would have a dynamic market for security and associated services ("Market anarchism/Voluntarism"). On that note, if the US government suddenly decided to operate as a for profit competitive enterprise within a geographical area it wouldn't really be a state as we know it even if it called itself "The United States of America" or "The Government", and the opposite would hold true if Exxon started taking the roles of the State even if it still called itself a corporation.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 31, 2013, 07:52:06 pm »

I don't think companies using government to keep competition down is evidence of a flaw in government - companies will use whatever power is at their disposal to do that.

Sure, but then the government is actually capable of physically preventing you from competing by sending goons to your home and threatening to toss you in a cage, rob you, or murder you if you resist. Companies generally don't have that capability.

And in the absence of a government that uses force, whoever has the most force becomes the government.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 31, 2013, 07:58:54 pm »

I don't think companies using government to keep competition down is evidence of a flaw in government - companies will use whatever power is at their disposal to do that.

Sure, but then the government is actually capable of physically preventing you from competing by sending goons to your home and threatening to toss you in a cage, rob you, or murder you if you resist. Companies generally don't have that capability.

And in the absence of a government that uses force, whoever has the most force becomes the government.

Now that depends on a lot of things, not in the least being what the many other governments decide to do. Hell, Somalia was pretty stable for a while until the UN and the US started mucking about funding warlords in conquest sprees and motivating Islamists to band together against them, and Somalia wasn't ever a country known for stability.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 31, 2013, 08:10:51 pm »

Hell, Somalia was pretty stable for a while until the UN and the US started mucking about funding warlords in conquest sprees and motivating Islamists to band together against them, and Somalia wasn't ever a country known for stability.

I drop into this thread once in a blue moon to see what's going on, and lo and behold it's the dumbest thing I've heard today.

Three things made Somalia more stable in the past than it is today: The Italian colonial government kicking the ass of anyone who looked at it funny; that the tools to be unstable as we know it today were not available (i.e. modern weaponry, cheap boats that can catch modern boats, etc), and that nobody had ever heard of it before meaning you really have no idea what a shithole Somalia has always been.

But hey, I'm not going to stop you from believing that the UN exists to make the world worse, so do carry this argument that international intervention made Somalia more of a disaster to it's logical conclusion.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 31, 2013, 08:21:07 pm »

Now that depends on a lot of things, not in the least being what the many other governments decide to do. Hell, Somalia was pretty stable for a while until the UN and the US started mucking about funding warlords in conquest sprees and motivating Islamists to band together against them, and Somalia wasn't ever a country known for stability.
What does this even have to do with anything

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 31, 2013, 08:21:32 pm »

Hell, Somalia was pretty stable for a while until the UN and the US started mucking about funding warlords in conquest sprees and motivating Islamists to band together against them, and Somalia wasn't ever a country known for stability.

I drop into this thread once in a blue moon to see what's going on, and lo and behold it's the dumbest thing I've heard today.

Three things made Somalia more stable in the past than it is today: The Italian colonial government kicking the ass of anyone who looked at it funny; that the tools to be unstable as we know it today were not available (i.e. modern weaponry, cheap boats that can catch modern boats, etc), and that nobody had ever heard of it before meaning you really have no idea what a shithole Somalia has always been.

But hey, I'm not going to stop you from believing that the UN exists to make the world worse, so do carry this argument that international intervention made Somalia more of a disaster to it's logical conclusion.

So you're saying the US and UN weren't funding secular warlords in Somalia then?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 31, 2013, 08:26:07 pm »

So you're saying the US and UN weren't funding secular warlords in Somalia then?

How do I answer this... To I try to answer it logically by pointing out that every power in Somalia is a warlord, so if you want stability you just have to pick which one you distrust the least?

Or do I point out that you really don't care what the answer is, as long as it gives you a springboard to continue your symposium on how government action is always the problem in every circumstance?

I guess I'll just do both, as cheekily as possible.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #758 on: January 31, 2013, 08:31:12 pm »

The Jim's doesn't have power in the libertarian utopia because unions are for pinko commie bastards.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 31, 2013, 08:38:31 pm »

How do I answer this... To I try to answer it logically by pointing out that every power in Somalia is a warlord, so if you want stability you just have to pick which one you distrust the least?

Or do I point out that you really don't care what the answer is, as long as it gives you a springboard to continue your symposium on how government action is always the problem in every circumstance?

I guess I'll just do both, as cheekily as possible.

So they did fund warlords in Somalia, creating inbalances in power leading to the creation of various coalitions against them. So thanks for (reluctantly) admitting that.

Heya, here's a tip; creating stability requires a bit more than "Let's fund this goon to take over and make things safe", since it makes every other goon realize that his days are numbered if he doesn't do something fast. Not to mention that the last time that happened in Somalia they ended up with Siad Barre, under whom Somalia was actually significantly worse under nearly all measures compared to the Somalia of today which is really saying something.

But besides that, we're straying a bit far from "American politics" I'd say.

The Jim's doesn't have power in the libertarian utopia because unions are for pinko commie bastards.

The Jim's what?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 31, 2013, 08:44:45 pm »

But besides that, we're straying a bit far from "American politics" I'd say.
I wonder whose fault that is...

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 31, 2013, 08:45:27 pm »

UN didn't funded warlords. US did though. Annan condemned the support.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 31, 2013, 08:46:13 pm »

So they did fund warlords in Somalia, creating inbalances in power leading to the creation of various coalitions against them. So thanks for (reluctantly) admitting that.

And it came to pass as Aqizzer foretold it.  And then GreatJustice did flame some more.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 31, 2013, 08:47:33 pm »

So thanks for (reluctantly) admitting that.

I didn't admit anything, because I didn't argue anything otherwise.  I was pointing out what a ridiculous argument and ridiculous example it is to try to support any point in the first place, and how you were going to take any reply as an excuse to pat yourself on the back.

And yeah, Somali history really is quite a departure from American politics.  Care to tell everyone why you decided to bring it up?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 31, 2013, 08:48:20 pm »

Posting to have something to eat popcorn to and enjoy on long nights.

Plus the flaming keeps my feet warm.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 66