Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69944 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #585 on: January 24, 2013, 07:56:50 pm »

I love leafsnail, also, Baugniet is satan and mitt romney having a baby. Except you rocks. Drinking with dad was not a good idea. I love you.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 24, 2013, 07:58:53 pm »

Baugniet is actually my Russian Antimatter Universe counterpart. And it's spelled Baugnyet.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 24, 2013, 07:59:19 pm »

I guess that makes sense.  I thought it was more related to the rest of the argument rather than shooting down a more specific point.

@Sheb I think replacing the void Bot Hack left in this thread with drunkposting is actually a good idea.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 24, 2013, 08:03:19 pm »

Oh, yeah, sorry about that. More generally I think regulation is good and we've just gone stupid about the regulations we do have. I also think that one of these days everything up through WMDs needs to be legal in theory but that's for reasons that don't work in society as it exists now, so I'll shut up about that. I'm not qualified to address the practicality of the regulation currently being discussed, with magazine limits and all, however.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 24, 2013, 08:05:31 pm »

Leafsnail, you libertarian Nader!

Okay, maybe I wish I did not drunk-post. But evidently I did. So my bad to everyone that read this (except the libertarian because fuck them. except that guy with the I <3 Obama avatar).

I hope next time the spambots will be cool and I won't be drunk.

P.S. Bauglir, you sound like my dre

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 24, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »

I really think though if you're going to start banning guns or putting in regulations like that, regulate or ban handguns. The magazines beyond a certain limit thing is a bit questionable for me - if there's any criminals who are hardcore enough that they're going to fire automatic weapons of that kind of a capacity (I'm talking about you James Holmes... and you, crip on the street corner with the Tec-9), they'll find a way around any regulation like that that would only serve to fuck up enthusiasts (not hunters and shit, I'm talking about gun collectors).

It just seems like a really half assed attempt at "doing something" on the part of the Obama administration that is, I predict, going to be highly ineffectual. At least in the UK we didn't fuck about when "something had to be done". If you're going to start regulating, do it properly for god's sake.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:15:04 pm by Owlbread »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 24, 2013, 08:09:21 pm »

I always hear find a way, find a way how? Where and how exactly is someone goiing to get, say, a 100-round magazine, if not from dealers?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 24, 2013, 08:10:51 pm »

I always hear find a way, find a way how? Where and how exactly is someone goiing to get, say, a 100-round magazine, if not from dealers?

You can get magazines like that from legal dealers. Not much will change except it'll become illegal and attract more attention. How high exactly is the maximum ammo capacity? If it's 100 rounds that is a dreadfully half-assed law and it's pretty shameful that some gun control supporters here are apparently satisfied with it. All you need to rob a "liquor store" is a sawn off shotgun that you can make yourself from perfectly legal materials. When the hell do you hear about a bank robber with a gun with 100+ ammo capacity? I mean, all I can think of is the North Hollywood Shootout... and even then I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:16:01 pm by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 24, 2013, 08:11:40 pm »

Leafsnail, you libertarian Nader!

Okay, maybe I wish I did not drunk-post. But evidently I did. So my bad to everyone that read this (except the libertarian because fuck them. except that guy with the I <3 Obama avatar).

I hope next time the spambots will be cool and I won't be drunk.

P.S. Bauglir, you're like my dream libertarian (aka, sane). I think like you, even, when sober.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 24, 2013, 08:24:24 pm »

I also predict that if the maximum ammo capacity is about 50 rounds (i.e. less than a PPSH with a drum mag) you might see far more purchases of guns that can be easily converted to full-auto with illegal magazines/modifications.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 24, 2013, 09:31:01 pm »

Well, as a example, the Aurora shooting was a 100-capacity magazine. And it jammed. I doubt a illegal modification would be jam less often.

Keep in mind This a a 50 round magazine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And this is a 100
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That requires ALOT of modification.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:33:16 pm by misko27 »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 24, 2013, 09:56:57 pm »

It's not about it jamming less or more often, it's about criminals still being able to get ahold of the stuff.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 24, 2013, 10:16:01 pm »

Please tell me how they would jury rig a magazine from 50 to 100 given the massive design difference.

If they couldn't, how else would they obtain them?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 24, 2013, 10:20:43 pm »

Please tell me how they would jury rig a magazine from 50 to 100 given the massive design difference.

If they couldn't, how else would they obtain them?

As I said, an illegal dealer.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 24, 2013, 10:27:33 pm »

And lets be honest even the most fancy magazine is pretty damned easy to make, they are aren't exactly pinnacles of technical prowess. Unlike the bullets themselves you don't even need to buy any special materials that could even potentially raise red flags.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 66